Electric powered timer for irrigation?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Dr1Gonzo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Electric powered timer for irrigation?

Postby Dr1Gonzo » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:48 pm

Can anyone recommend a good timer for irrigation?
I have not had good experiences with the battery operated ones or the black pipe.
I'm away for 2-3 months at a time.
The battery ones are in the sun so the battery just gets caked. On one occasion it failed in the on position wasting loads of water.
With the black pipes, they seem to get chalked up.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Electric powered timer for irrigation?

Postby El Cid » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:42 am

I used the Gardena unit some time ago and it worked fine. If it’s exposed to sun and rain, put a box over it. If you attach it to tap then that would be difficult. If so, put it in the line after the tap, far enough away that you can protect it. If the filter in the unit gets blocked frequently, put a separate, bigger, filter in the pipe before it gets to the timer.

I have never had problems with pipe caking up with cal, but the little droppers on the pipe do get cal so I clean them every year with Aguafuerte.

The main irrigation system uses a computer controlled system with electronic valves so that isn’t affected by the weather.

Sid

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:59 pm

if you have an electric timer in the garden remember that you will always have a "live" cable there.

not so much for digging (it should be burried 40cm down blah blah but it probably wont be...) .. but more for the fact that a "clever" burgler could use that cable and bring an angle grinder and cut the rejas open...
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:17 pm

The timers I mentioned are battery operated. My electric valves and timer are not outside, but in the secure pump room. Either are perfectly safe. A clever burglar would never do what you are suggesting. Have you not heard about rechargeable power tools?

Sid

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:40 pm

haha yes of course Sid.. but most burglers are pikeys and would have the cheapest things.

I suppose with the new technology and cordless tools that are available now it can be done anywhere - theres no need for power any more.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.