Pavement / table tax for cafes

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
fyfin
Resident

Pavement / table tax for cafes

Postby fyfin » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:04 pm

I read somewhere that some town halls are charging a pavement or table tax and I wondered if anyone knew how it was calculated or if you had heard of it. I tried Googling to no avail but I know it exists.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

quebin
Resident

Re: Pavement / table tax for cafes

Postby quebin » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:39 pm

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:07 pm

Thank you. It seems to refer to bars opening in the evening. My friend is being charged in Almeria province. Little cafe open during the day.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:57 pm

A friend has a bar in Malaga city centre. 4 tables outside, if they go outside that area they get fined and its quite a big fine. Stay in the meterage and it’s ok.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:15 am

Don't know the ins and outs (and would certainly check quebin's link), but it is a thing. I bought a copy of David Searle's "You and the Law in Spain" back in the early 90s (it's regularly updated) and the tax was mentioned back then. Like other taxes, the defence "but I never put tables out there" made no difference.

In any case, always worth looking into whether something applies specifically, as people try things on. A friend of mine leased a bar (this example isn't ayuntamiento related, admittedly) and was told to pay "rental" for the outside pavement which evaporated when challenged.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:03 am

However much the so-called 'table tax' is it isn't enough. I object to having to squeeze through the tiny spaces left between the tables just to be able to walk along the pavement or even having to walk in the road just to get past them.

Anyway, I have never been able to understand the attraction of sitting at a table by the side of the road drinking disgusting coffee and scoffing calorie laden junk food amongst the exhaust fumes and noise of traffic passing by a couple of metres away.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:16 am

Beachcomber wrote:
Anyway, I have never been able to understand the attraction of sitting at a table by the side of the road drinking disgusting coffee and scoffing calorie laden junk food amongst the exhaust fumes and noise of traffic passing by a couple of metres away.
But not all are on pavements by busy roads. Some in little side street perfect for shade and people watching.

Tongue in cheek Beach, you sound like a grumpy old man ha ha.

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:08 am

I can agree to a degree with situation of tables being blocked but I'm talking about a sleepy little village and a pavement that doesn't get used much. I can understand Malaga city centre or a big town where it gets busy, but this has suddenly come up when someone new took over a business that was quite happily putting chairs and tables out before, with no tax or visit from police.
I was trying to discover how universal it was in the rest of Spain, but at the moment it appears to be the only one in the village, more to follow maybe!!

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:02 pm

Now that I have had my say about bars and cafes blocking the pavements with their outside furniture I will try to be a little more constructive. This article is from a few years ago and applies to Granada city but it may be a good starting point from which to make further searches:

https://m.granadahoy.com/granada/bares- ... 33440.html

I used to live in Almería province many years ago and I know that many small town mayors are a law unto themselves when it comes to raising extra money to fund their lifestyles especially from foreigners trying to run a business whom they see as easy pickings.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:06 pm

Certainly pavement taxes in resorts but in a sleepy village? the mayor just doing as above!?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:25 pm

Quite possibly.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:06 pm

I have been in a few places in Marbella and they had different prices for drinking inside or out. I thought it was because of extra work for the waiters, never thought about taxes.

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:56 pm

Good link Beachcomber. I think in this case there are politics at play - just after an election etc. English owner.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:47 am

I see this tax as being reasonable considering these establishments are using public space to expand their overall area.
I see loads of little kiosk type cafes with just a few tables inside and most of their customers sitting outside.
Personally i am happy to have a beer and a tapa outside but for proper meal rather be inside at a table.
Also i suppose the ayuntamiento need to have some control on table numbers.
Why would people pay more to dine outside? the rent the owners are paying for inside space must surely exceed what they paying outside.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:14 am

two things i´ve actually noticed in the last few days .

on wallapop (buy / sell app) there was a trespaso for sale for around 25k, in torre del mar. one of the things noted was "pavement tax paid for 2019 up to september" or something along those lines.

the other, was i was in malaga at http://lacanasta.es/ at Av. de Cánovas del Castillo, 2, 29016 Málaga just by the top of the port / the pompedeu centre. Everything had 2 prices - indoor aand terraza, which was about 20c more per item. I assume to pay for the "tax" of the pavement?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:38 am

Cheaper prices inside and a reduced risk of the semi-skilled accordion player taking a € for 2mins of Y Viva Espana? The appeal grows (I know, refusal/ignore option is available but I only did that once when three drunks shouted over a tambourine and hated myself for it. The old Musician's Union, Performing Right Society guilt complex).