NIE Application or Renewal - process in July 2019

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
p181666

NIE Application or Renewal - process in July 2019

Postby p181666 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:36 am

I recently had to ‘renew’ my NIE and Oh Boy would I have loved the information below:

The process is long-winded but simple.

Make appointment. Acquire and complete application. Pay at bank. Attend with proof of all three and your passport along with a copy of same.

Link to make appointment:
https://www.citizensadvice.org.es/faq/a ... dency-nie/

Link to Application Form:
http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Embajadas/ ... %20NIE.pdf

Link to Payment Form:
https://sede.policia.gob.es:38089/Tasa790_012/

Once you attend if all goes well you get back your passport and stamped payment slip. You are then asked to return the following day to collect your new / renewed NIE. When you return you need to get a waiting ticket number from the machine right of reception desk. Lots and lots of people. You MUST get an R number – Retirada. Wait a thousand years and your number will be called.

fyfin
Resident

Re: NIE Application or Renewal - process in July 2019

Postby fyfin » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:58 am

This always causes confusion as Nie is never renewed. Unless mine is different it's a white A4 piece of paper with your number in format X1244567X . No expiry date and the number is for life. Maybe it's different for non-retired or non-EU which may be your situation but I never heard of it being renewed before.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:08 pm

The number itself stays with you, but the piece of paper can be considered only useful for a few months if making some big-ticket purchase. I got a NIE in circa 2001 to take over this place from my father and it then sat unused for years. When I purchased, which now made more sense than hiring, a car in Dec 2017, I thought it prudent to have a new paper. Like the OP, I made a mistake that necessitated several yomps between a Torremolinos cybercafe, bank branch and police station which otherwise would have been hassle-free.

At the station, an official saw my old one and said "you don't really need to renew this" and I replied "I'm buying a car."
"In that case, you need to renew this."

The car, and the gestor, were in Marbella and I didn't want some "this is an old piece of paper, so I am going to put it in my 'pending' tray" holdup even though it's the same doc with a different date stamp. One time, my bank branch refused to let me put €100 cash into my own bank account because I wasn't carrying my passport (driver's licence not acceptable). I'd love to know what fiendish scam I could possibly have been pulling.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:16 pm

I have a 16 year old piece of paper with my NIE number on it.
Never been asked for an "up to date one" or told I need to renew it, and have purchased several cars here.
Always been asked for a up to date, less than 3 months old, padron certificate.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:29 pm

Some the NIE certs given out around 2014 said at the bottom of the paper thst the cert was only valid for 3 months. So if you have one of these you might get asked for an upto date one

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:51 pm

Could have been that I suppose so not renewal. Just a new certificate.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:37 pm

and of course if you have moved you must get it updated to show your current address.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:33 pm

I have never lived at the address on my NIE paper.
It's the address of the estate agent who obtained our NIEs for us wherefore we moved here. :think:
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:43 pm

peteroldracer wrote:and of course if you have moved you must get it updated to show your current address.
Many “stand alone” NIEs were issued without the holders correct address and there is no reason to renew it if you move. The original NIE would have been linked to your passport number, which is probably now not the same.” Residencia” documents do need to be renewed however if you move.

Sid

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:56 pm

Both our ” Residencia” documents have our current address on them and our Padrons are updated as and when needed.
Never thought there was a need for our NIE documents to be updated as they have never been queried even when presented with our ” Residencia” documents and / or Padron documents.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:52 pm

If you have the new “residence “ document, the old NIE is redundant. It’s all going to change for the better after Brexit when we will have photo cards again!

Sid

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:06 am

Just to muddy the waters, I didn't produce a padron because I don't have one, being non-res. I did need proof of owning (I guess a rental agreement would otherwise have worked) my home; utility bills were of no interest. Quite possible that my 2001 NIE paper would have worked, but I thought it worth updating for little effort and expense rather than find out later, carless, having to travel to Marbella with a fresh one.

I'm not a fan of ID but, if needed, a piece of A5 out of a Hewlett Packard does seem a bit wispy.