Spanish residents getting married in UK

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
bahiadecasares

Spanish residents getting married in UK

Postby bahiadecasares » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:40 am

Hopefully someone might know a little more about this situation.

I am more than happy to (and will) get a lawyer involved or gestoria however it would be great to hear from anyone who is, or has been, in the same situation.

We (two 30 and 40 year old males) are getting married in the UK (as we have not been spanish residents for more than two years... and thought it may be easier). We have been advised by both our UK and Spanish accountants to get married for tax purposes and possible future medical decisions and all the rest that comes with getting married.

However, who exactly are the people that we need to notify of this change?

We are Spanish residents with an income from the UK, and so are not registered with the Spanish misitory of works and pensions, but we do have a Spanish mortgage, obviously they will need to be notified.

Any thoughts of who we need to notify, even with getting a gestor or lawyer involved. So many conflicting articals as usual online.

Thank you... anything would be appreciated. :thumbup:

maureenscot
Resident

Re: Spanish residents getting married in UK

Postby maureenscot » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:13 pm

There are many institutions that couples inform once they are married eg, insurance companies for car, travel, home etc. Social Security and tax offices. Pension companies and many more. Most only need to be informed after you have tied the knot. Check with .gov.uk and CAB in UK. Sorry, I do not know who you would inform in Spain.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:21 pm

You have a uk income but as spanish residents you are also spanish tax residents..presuming its not a crown pension? You will be required to pay tax on it in spain along with any other world wide income. When filing a spanish tax return for spouses it will either be filed jointly or seperately inorder to pay the least tax.a machine caculates it. So i guess you will need to registar your marriage for that purpose aswell as any other.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:33 pm

I thought only a man and woman could get married. I think you will find in the uk it is a civil partnership.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:36 pm

Same sex marriage has been legal in the UK for about 5 years. It has been legal in Spain for about 15 years.

Sid

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:25 pm

"you are also spanish tax residents..presuming its not a crown pension"
Even if it is a crown pension it must be declared on your Spanish tax return - though in a box marked "Exentar" (exempt) and it will slightly affect your tax bill.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:30 pm

Very true peter