Well, the whatsapp's gone quiet!

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Well, the whatsapp's gone quiet!

Postby Devils Advocate » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:57 pm

Had a lot of Spanish friend whatsap contacts over there, messages would fly across by the sackful when a big football match was on, also Saturday nights used to see a deluge of pictures fired across of what they were having for the evening meal in the Almacen etc.
We were also kept up to date with any scandal locally. It's gone on for years and years.

Since we sold up...........zilch!!! I may have to unwhatsap them all now!

My Mrs. says they were only pretending to like me anyway!!! :mrgreen:
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Re: Well, the whatsapp's gone quiet!

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:43 pm

Almost half of my WhatscrApp contacts have gone over to Telegram upset by the fact that it has now been infected with Fakebook.

I hope to be able to dump it completely within the next couple of months. If any leftovers want to contact me after that they will have to join Telegram.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:06 pm

Telegram is almost the same layout as whatsapp. I actually thought they were owned by the same company. Telegram is more secure though.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:07 pm

Devils Advocate wrote:
Since we sold up...........zilch!!! I may have to unwhatsap them all now!

My Mrs. says they were only pretending to like me anyway!!! :mrgreen:
They were probably fake friends. Acquaintances more than friends.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:17 pm

A few people are mentioning this to me now about the tie up with Facebook. I guess whenever a "free" service is available it has to get its funds from somewhere.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:48 pm

Telegram was developed by a couple of Russians although they are based in Germany. I would rather put my trust in them any day than the likes of Facebook, Google, Microsoft and Apple data mining organisations.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:39 pm

I have had telegram for a while now and I can honestly say nobody has ever sent me a message using it apart from the automated ones generated when someone joins its service..

DA, We have had conversations via WhatsApp since you left Spain but because I am a light user, conversations end quite quickly basically because I'm uncomfortable using it as a overly social tool. Having said that, As I have said many times before, I find WhatsApp extremely useful especially for business.

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:37 pm

When something is free on the Internet, you and I are the product!
Whatsapp must have a huge linked database of telephone numbers and people links all around the world. Knowledge is power.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:46 am

I had a Facebook messenger account because that is what a couple of my contacts use. I logged in with an email address and password. My access was recently blocked saying that I now had to log in with an Instagrim (sic) account, which I don't have, or mobile phone number. Well, you can forget that Mr Berksucker, or whatever your stupid name is.

Telegram and Signal between them now account for 90% of my messaging and audio communication and the data-mining, Fakebook infested WhatscrApp is now on the verge of being eradicated from my phone once and for all.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:11 am

Even A.com uses cookies to gather information about us. We know this because the ad banners often reflect the theme of the thread.
I personally have no problem with this but there are problems with Facebook when companies target certain people to reinforce their political views without any counter arguments. The extreme examples of this are the ultra right and left wing as well as Muslim terrorist groups and Brexit and Trump.
Another worry from my point of view is that some people seem to be addicted to both WhatsApp and Facebook.

However, used correctly Facebook can be a useful tool for useful information. I'm a member of an Amazon Alexa group as well as one from my old primary school where I have found photos of me of which I have very few. I also have a business page so that students can access materials But despite all that I'm am a light user and post only a few times a year.

The key is to be careful, not angry. If telegram takes off then I will use it but I'm not that arrogant to assume that all my contacts have to change in order to stay in contact with me.
Last edited by markwilding on Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:56 am

I have a windows operating system on my 'phone.....unusual I know....but I like it and it mirrors my computer....but for some months now I've been receiving a pop-up on my 'phone telling me that "Support for What'sApp on my windows phone will cease".
Does anyone know what that's about?
Is it WhatsApp stopping support?
Or is it Windows stopping support?
Does "stopping support" mean the service will cease?...or just not progress?
I've read about Telegram and Signal (above).....presumably my WhatsApp contacts will have to change as well?
Anyone know?
nil illegitimum carborundum

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:21 am

Trooperman wrote: Does "stopping support" mean the service will cease?...or just not progress?
I've read about Telegram and Signal (above).....presumably my WhatsApp contacts will have to change as well?
Anyone know?
https://inews.co.uk/news/technology/wha ... ity-502299

I've quickly read the article and my understanding is that Whatapp will continue to work but without any improvements. Can you keep us updated after the cut off date because my wife's phone is on the list and won't be supported from early next year?

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:27 am

Fascinating. I don’t have a SmartPhone or WhatsUp but almost everyone I know does. My friends keep on at me to get these but, really, I have e-mail and I do have FaceBook and Messenger. I also have a mobile number. That’s enough ways to contact me, surely?

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:51 am

I never used whatapp when in the uk. Never saw the point as thats what email was for and texting before that got old hat. It is very useful when you are in another country for making video calls etc and quickness of sending messages. And also when alot of providers dont give you free text messages anymore.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:20 am

Or at the supermarket yesterday because I wasn't sure which version of a product I needed to buy. A quick photo of both, sent in seconds, avoided problems.Sending a map to someone trying to find your address or meeting point is another benefit. With sending email addresses and forwarding contacts, it's the easiest way of doing it.
It is popular for a reason.

Occasionally, I get messages via email but checking email isn't as easy as it is to look at a message on the phone and quite often by the time I read it, it's become irrelevant. Annoying when you have to meet someone.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:49 pm

Or at the supermarket yesterday because I wasn't sure which version of a product I needed to buy. A quick photo of both, sent in seconds, avoided problems.
:lol: :lol: :lol: So you are one of those people sent to do the shopping who has no idea what they are supposed to be getting and stand in the aisles looking at their phones while decisive shoppers try to negotiate trollies around them. :lol: :lol: :lol:

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:34 pm

Actually, I'm one of those cleverer shoppers who goes when others don't. I have never understood why the Spanish all like to go at the same time, then complain about the amount of people there when at around 2 on a Saturday afternoon, it's empty.
Apart from that, I suppose I'm like other men. I know what food and drink to buy so I need a shopping list sent by my wife via WhatsApp for the cleaning products. The problem is that there are often different versions of the same thing.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:18 pm

Mark, you sound like my OH. Even with a detailed list he always manages to get the wrong thing and usually the most expensive. A simple request for a small normal seeded loaf resulted in a large gluten free tasteless one at 3.25. :mrgreen: a skimmed milk came as a special organic one from Prince Charles farm nearly double the price.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:11 pm

Lavanda wrote:
Or at the supermarket yesterday because I wasn't sure which version of a product I needed to buy. A quick photo of both, sent in seconds, avoided problems.
:lol: :lol: :lol: So you are one of those people sent to do the shopping who has no idea what they are supposed to be getting and stand in the aisles looking at their phones while decisive shoppers try to negotiate trollies around them. :lol: :lol: :lol:
i guess by the emojis that is said tongue in cheek.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:55 am

Of course it was Costa. :angel: I have also been known to ring my OH if the supermarket doesn't have his favourite Cruzcampo to ask what he wants instead. Usually nothing but I then have to go to another supermarket to get said Cruzcampo. We all use phones in shops — well, at times. I also shop at 14.30 in the twilight zone. So much nicer.