Renewing Passports and Spanish driving licences.Update

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Renewing Passports and Spanish driving licences.Update

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:43 am

I have in the past few weeks renewed both passports and driving licences and was surprised at the speed and easy methods.

The passports I did online including photos and my only problem was with the photos, first I don't have a white wall in my house, so they were rejected twice, so I took them ouside on my patio, no problem apart from getting my wife to stand still, not grin, or closing her eyes...!!
I dispatched them separately by recorded delivery, rather than put them together , I received prompt notifications from the passport office and 16 days later they were returned by courier in separate envelopes ,but delivered together. Two days later I received the old passports, again by courier and in separate envelopes, so all in all quite a painless and easy task, my only disappoinment was the fact that the passports no longer state Europe on the front.

As for my driving licence, I went to the local private centre , did the various tests and medical, 20 minutes all completed , paid 30 euros, and received my new driving licence by regular post in 14 days.....

I hope my info. reassures and helps someone.

Regards,
Gordon

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Renewing Passports and Spanish driving licences.Update

Postby Wicksey » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:06 am

The passports now are much easier being completed all online. We've had the same problem as you trying to find a white wall though :)

The driving licence renewals are straightforward, but it's the exchange from UK to Spanish that is the current problem. My OH has been waiting since June for his, although I spoke to someone yesterday who knows someone who's been waiting since March :shock:

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:10 pm

My problem was the white walls. Everytime i tried it said too much shadow or too bright. Litterally ran out of places to try until i tried a cream bedroom wall. Bingo it worked. Although in my picture i look like im about to burst into tears and have lost the will to live as it was my final try before going to the photo shop. And to top that off a family member took it back to the uk with them to speed up the process. Posted it recorded delievery and the no doubt 20 something with some pointless B.S degree thought belfast was in the republic. So my passport had a tour of eire for a week before finally getting there. Had the new one in hand within 3 days which was impressive.

Re licences. Had a letter today saying my licence needs renewing. It doesnt run out till 2024 but the codes on the back for lorry etc runs out next month. I have no intention to drive one and the expiry date on the front is 2024 so i guess i just ignore.

Family member just did the first medical renewal cost around 25 euros. They never received a letter in the run up. Maybe they do it for the codes on the back as its easy not to notice if you dont physically check to see the expiry date

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:53 pm

I had a problem with shadows on the photo but managed to reduce them using the editing program I have and it all went through OK. My background wall was off-white, but I couldn't get anywhere without the window being to one side and casting a shadow. Soon have to do it all over again for my OH. Biggest problem was getting it back via DHL as we're in the campo and they didn't seem able to give me a choice of pick up points for some reason.

Seems that once you have your licence the renewing of it is pretty straightforward thankfully!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:09 pm

Both my DHL packets were delivered to the local Correos office.

Sid

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:17 pm

Its funny or not! how things that are supposed to make the process easier just cause frustration or/and annoyance. Its all good in theory. Wheres max spielman when you need him!

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:22 am

Apart from the minor problems of taking acceptable photos, renewing passports was really quite easy for me, as was renewing the driving licences.
However applying for change-over driving licences does now seem to be a lengthy process for some , but not all, I'm sure it's probably the same department that handles all of the applications and I know sometimes there are delays in receiving information from DVLA.

As for receiving documents etc. when living in more remote locations I know it can be difficult , big companies like DHL really should get their act together. !
I really can't fault the courier or correos service I get, absolutely spot on, but I live in a large village near a city with all ammenities very close, something I recommend for anyone looking for a good location to live.

Anyway I hope everyone manages to resolve their problems, eventually..

Regards,
Gordon

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:39 am

A friend made a comment yesterday..''Why use recorded delivery to post your passports, it's expensive and very slow ''.

Well ,yes I know that sending mail from Spain to UK by recorded ( certificado ) method is expensive and does take longer than regular standard post, but with important documents like passports I've always used a signed for service as I need to have some control over my mail.
And yes I do believe that it's worth the extra money and time, if nothing else other than piece of mind.

The passports I sent recently took 7 days to reach UK, this week I posted 4 letters to UK using normal standard post, I took them to the post office on Thursday and they all arrived on Saturday, that is quick !!

I know that location is very important when sending and receiving mail but I really have had no problems and I do live inland about an hour from the coast.
I wonder how many members actually take their mail to the post office counter or rely on just posting them in a post box ?
Even when I pre-stamp my letters I still take them to the counter and they check that I've put on the correct postage etc., I don't have a problem queuing and chatting with the locals...quite entertaining..!!!
Regards,
Postman Pat....

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:46 am

It really needs to be Certificado. For the sake of a few euros compared to the very real hassle if Correos lose it!

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:34 am

Last time I posted my passport by certificado it was only about 6€ I think. Considering that a birthday card I posted last week was 1.75€ that's not much more for some peace of mind. Like Benidorm's, the card I posted Thursday arrived in the UK Saturday so I never have complaints usually about the postal service. I always post letters at the PO post box, and for cards I always check at the counter as I'm never sure if they are 'normal' size or not. Thankfully our PO is usually empty and I don't have to queue. As the passports are only renewed once every 10 years, it's not a lot to pay I don't think!

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:48 pm

Hola

After doing my own passport, several friends have asked me to take their photo. There is what was a yellow wall opposite our local Venta which had faded. It is north facing and makes a very good backdrop (until the owners repaint it)!

Davexf

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:58 pm

Hang a sheet on a wall!

Sid

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:21 am

Funny really how things change, when we first moved to Spain most house interiors seem to be painted white or pale cream...!

What a difference a decade or three makes, now we don't have any white walls in our house, instead 30 shades of grey and a little pale lilac. :D

When I was attempting to take the passport photos I was surprised when they were rejected, the background was plain and very pale grey, but it kept rejecting my attempts...
Still I got there in the end......

Regards,
Gordon the photographer..... :wave: