Life in Andalucia

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
kexon
Resident

Living in Andalucia

Postby kexon » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:26 pm

I feel sorry for Steve & Yvonne.
They posted a perfectly reasonable request for information, and what did they get.
Once again the petty bickering's of people who it appears have very little in their life's except to hijack other peoples questions with their inane babble.
Please try and keep to the subject if you have the mental capacity to do so, if not start your own thread and bicker away to your hearts content, and give us all a break.

Steve&Yvonne
Andalucia.com Amigo

WoW

Postby Steve&Yvonne » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:55 pm

Well Thanks to all those who are making the suggestions and giving the advice. We have been holidaying in the competa area on and off since 1991 and have always liked it. The people seem to be unreservedly accepting of all the foreign residents and visitors. The valley or valleys seem to be uniques and certainly beautiful. Also my Grandmother's family came from Ronda or Gaucin via Gibraltar and so the sounds of the andalucian villages and people remind my of the voices and temp of my childhood. So thats why Competa.

The sorts of things I am keen to know about are the practical things like how much one has to pay for Health Insurance, what taxes you have to pay, the general costs of living, do people find the life too slow, are they bored, what work there might be to do (we will need little extra but we are not used to not working) - I can think up more and was hoping to use this forum to start to get at some of these things.

As for all this carry on about who has the right to post and who has been there longest - well!

Steve
Living in the south west and moving to Andalucia in six weeks time

Steve&Yvonne
Andalucia.com Amigo

WoW

Postby Steve&Yvonne » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:58 pm

Well Thanks to all those who are making the suggestions and giving the advice. We have been holidaying in the competa area on and off since 1991 and have always liked it. The people seem to be unreservedly accepting of all the foreign residents and visitors. The valley or valleys seem to be uniques and certainly beautiful. Also my Grandmother's family came from Ronda or Gaucin via Gibraltar and so the sounds of the andalucian villages and people remind my of the voices and temp of my childhood. So thats why Competa.

The sorts of things I am keen to know about are the practical things like how much one has to pay for Health Insurance, what taxes you have to pay, the general costs of living, do people find the life too slow, are they bored, what work there might be to do (we will need little extra but we are not used to not working) - I can think up more and was hoping to use this forum to start to get at some of these things.

As for all this carry on about who has the right to post and who has been there longest - well!

Steve

keddyboy
Resident

Postby keddyboy » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:35 pm

A forum is a forum meaning open discussion between persons. It does not mention jibes and bickering amongs members although this must happen in any democratic discussion.
I for one have lived here for 3 years and know only life from a retired persons point of view. The views of those having to work for a living are equally valued as are those of person[s] who own property here and do not actually reside full time. Everybody who contributes has somthing of value to offer to those people out there who ask us about our opinions.
Whether you are a guru or a visitor, does it really matter as long as the person enquiring seems satisfied with a reasonable reply given by persons who seem to know what they are talking about.
No one has suggested, so far that replies given by the person who lives in Cheshire and only visits part time is any the less informative.
Give up this sniping and get on with what is an excellent forum [so far!!!]
Keddyboy
Never do today what you can leave until tomorrow.

fincalospinos
Resident

Life in andalucia

Postby fincalospinos » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:39 pm

Hi Steve and Yvonne,
Have pm´d you some details on where to get some more info on Competa.
Despite what some other contributors say, it is still a lovely place to live.
Best wishes,
Fincalospinos
Hardworking resident !!

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:38 pm

do people find the life too slow, are they bored, what work there might be to do (we will need little extra but we are not used to not working
You wont get bored, youll get a drink problem. Thats what usually happens!

Steve&Yvonne
Andalucia.com Amigo

Drink problem

Postby Steve&Yvonne » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:59 pm

Yes _ I can imagine that may be a problem. Its a bit depressing though isn't it?

Steve

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:42 pm

Not if you keep drinking!
Its only depressing, when you stop.

luffes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby luffes » Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:07 pm

stantheman wrote:what do you feel you have to offer this forum if you dont spend at least 3-4 months here per year, what I mean is what local knowledge and experience can you offer that we should be listening to, forgive my scepticism but you've stated that you don't live in Spain so what can you give us to make your postings credible, given that you're not (geographically) resident here!!
This made me smile. The incongruity between your location and your comment is quite funny.

I am resident in Spain and have been for the last year and a half. Before this I had never been to Spain. By your definition, though, I am a guru on my local region.

Someone that has owned property in the local region for 20 years or more and visited several times a year should be ignored and my view should take precedence by virtue of the fact that I live here all year round.

Despite the fact that I would have to gain knowledge through books or asking people, and that over those numerous years they have seen first hand the changes that have taken place, seen the infrastructure grow etc etc.

I wholeheartedly agree wth your viewpoint :roll: Thank you for making me feel so self-important