Love it or leave it

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
silver
Andalucia Guru

Love it or leave it

Postby silver » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:06 pm

Perhaps a topic what they love/hate about their expeiences living in Spain....
The natives here are a bit deaf to say the least it is noisy...I hate that...but I do love the hubble of life that goes on around, if you get on a train a bus..or are waiting at the hospital or anywhere public...complete stangers talk to each other, smiling, laughing or have a moan.
If you prefer silence...think again about moving.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

Lorraine - Mijas
Resident

Postby Lorraine - Mijas » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:41 pm

LOVE AND HATE well lets see:

Loves.... Cafe society, blue skies, dining in restaurants overlooking the sea, quaint villages, seeing the effort the Spanish put in to dressing up for occasions. Not having to worry to much as to if the weather might spoil my plans. sunsets and seafood and the colour of the landscape in spring.

Hates........Noisy mopeds, lack of street lighting and pavements away from the coast. Pavements with lamps and tree's in the centre every 6 feet, WHY?? Timeshare, when they abuse you for saying, no thank you we live here!! Crazy drivers, and on and off slip roads that have been placed too close together (plain dangerous) Spanish cafes in La Cala who blatantly ignore foreigners and finally for now, Dust, The huge clouds of dust you see here when it's windy, it must be awful for asthmatics.
This is just a few to start things off.

Lorraine

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:26 pm

asthmatics Lorraine I think folk with asthmer suffer with diferent things...my son has it...well he has it when we go to England.. he has to take a puffer..here, even though it is dusty(all those dirt tracks and giant earth moving machines all over the place) he does not need/use a puffer here...I think he must be alergic to central heating.

Lorraine - Mijas
Resident

Postby Lorraine - Mijas » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:18 pm

Perhaps using asthmatics as an example may have been incorrect, what I should have said was older people or people who suffer from chest complaints. I believe this is quite common in the Benidorm region and is commonly known as Benidorm Cough, Due to the high numbers of long stay tourists and older residents who develop this never clearing cough.
I have seen and experienced the same here but since giving up my job on the coast and spending most of each day inland the problem has gone away!!
I've never been to Benidorm but many people who have, have all described the same thing, so I suppose there must be some truth in it.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:21 pm

never heard of it so cant comment.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:22 pm

There are some pueblos in jaen where at certain times of the year when the olives are full of pollen a majority of children have to wear masks when they go out.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:31 pm

Some things I like here...food
freshly picked fruit, the coffee they serve in all bars, fresh fish like sardinas and boquerones..sardines and white bate, pucheros..a chick pea stew, albondigas in salsa de almendras..meat balls in almond sauce, tiger nut juice... horchata de chufa..langostinos..scampi, wine sauces,
things I dont like here..food
shell fish, tripe with chick peas...
things I miss..brussle sprouts all year round, parsnips, pickle, good short crust pastry. rubarb and custard.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:35 pm

katy
pueblos in jaen
one of my daughter in law is from Jaen and has bad ashma attacks...it is the pollen form the olives that she is alergic to but she has not had it since living by the sea...if wearing a mask when pollen is high keeps it away Im all for it.

Lorraine - Mijas
Resident

Postby Lorraine - Mijas » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:49 pm

Frozen Brussel sprouts are still Nice provided you steam them lightly instead of boiling, not as good as fresh but not far off if you cook them correctly.
Lorraine

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:56 pm

Lorraine I really dislike the change of flavor with the frosen one..I do like other frozen veg..like parsnips I sometime find..but not sprouts...I do get them fresh here round xmas time so Im waiting.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:15 pm

Lorraine - Mijas wrote:LOVE AND HATE well lets see:

Loves.... Cafe society, blue skies, dining in restaurants overlooking the sea, quaint villages, seeing the effort the Spanish put in to dressing up for occasions. Not having to worry to much as to if the weather might spoil my plans. sunsets and seafood and the colour of the landscape in spring.

Pretty much agree with that!

Hates........Noisy mopeds, lack of street lighting and pavements away from the coast. Pavements with lamps and tree's in the centre every 6 feet, WHY??

Think noisy mopeds must be the bane of everyone's life, it certainly is of mine. As for pavements, if it was UK, they would be sued out of extinction! Anyone that trips here, sues the council, they'd have a field day in Spain. There are some appalling finishes to pavements, they are lethal

Lorraine
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

jane grant

Postby jane grant » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:18 am

Where we live everyone ignores walking on the pavement - unless it's a life threatening situation! Makes driving round town a hazzardous event, but we're as guilty of doing it as anyone else.

As to loves - the fresh bread bought every day at my front door, the pace of life, the people, not having to work an average 60 hours a week, or living out of suitcases in some corporate hotel where you recognise it's an hotel room but aren't sure which town/city you are in! The luxury of a pool in my garden and the wonderful views from it.

Hates - pretty much the same as in UK - pop bottles that refuse to stand up in a carrier bag (this is the 21st Centure and man has been to the moon so why can't they solve that problem)! I'm sure there are other tings, but I'm so chilled I can't think what they are at the moment!!!

poshtotti
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby poshtotti » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:04 pm

I love sitting in a cafe people watching whilst dipping chorros into chocolate!
I love the way everyone who you don't know says hello to you even in a waiting room.
I love the way when you smile at people over here they smile back instead of thinking you're a fruit cake.
I love seeing the "older generation" who aren't afraid to be sitting on their porch 'til all hours.
I love to see farmers still using animals for work (the ones I have seen have been well cared for)
I love being able to choose from over 30 golf courses to play on within an hours drive of home.
I love knowing that there is major difference between standard of living & quality of life.
I love most things which I guess is why I live here!
I hate the disrespectful expats who don't make the any effort to learn even basic Spanish.
I hate it when people complain about where they live or what they do or how they live without making any effort to change.
I hate brussel sprouts, fresh & frozen!
I hate the fact I bought 2 jars of Marmite yesterday from the only place I'd seen it & when I got it home the expiry date was March 2002! :oops:

I miss seeing 4 seasons change & most of all riding my nagg on a frosty morning through English countryside.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:57 am

poshtotti you sound like a lov:)erly person, bet you have loads of friends.
if you dont like sprouts, you could try those fresh green asparagus ..

Rossini

love/hate

Postby Rossini » Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:53 am

I love the sun
I love the warmth (But I also like the fact that it does get cold where we are in the winter)(so I also love my woodburner!)
I love the freedom we can give our child to play out without constantly watching him
I love the diet especially the taste of the fresh fruit and veg
I love learning a new language (even though I get frustrated at times)!!
I love the closness of our 99% spanish communtiy
I love they way we have been welcomed by our neighbours
I love the way we spend so much more time together as a family
I love not having to arrange things according to the weather
I love the fiestas/festivals and dressing up for them
I love being so happy

I dislike the noise especially the way they play music such as 'gasolina' as loud as they can!!
Dogs muck
The way the spanish seem to mis-understand what a bin is for
An they way the Spanish do not seem to understand the concept of queing!

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:13 am

An they way the Spanish do not seem to understand the concept of queing!
:lol: :lol: funny isnt it...not very tidy are they..whenever one gets behind one of these you have to ask "quien es la ultima" (whos the last) then someone says "yo" (me)and that how you and others know where they are..if you dont ask..they tend to think you are only there for the fun of it.
Sunset and sunrise...driving behind a goat herd...the music of the bells...
but the noise...well what can I say :roll:

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:57 am

silver wrote:

but the noise...well what can I say :roll:
Noise and rubbish, fly tipping and mal treatment of animals especially dogs left for weeks on end on their own. These are for me the worst aspects.

Good ones are as diverse as the individuals who live here. Strangely enough where I live we can buy parsnips in Mercadona, if only we could buy a traditional cut of roast beef to go with them!

Mike

amheuwr
Andalucia.com Amigo

Things I hate about the UK

Postby amheuwr » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:49 am

Going to my car at 6.30am on Saturday 24th September 2005 and finding the windscreen has frozen over. Good old Wales. :shock: