Protecting an Acoustic Guitar in Andalucia

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Kahuna
Andalucia.com Amigo

Protecting an Acoustic Guitar in Andalucia

Postby Kahuna » Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:00 pm

Hi Folks

Anyone here play guitar? I am hoping to buy a nice quality Acoustic guitar to keep up in Teba (in the hills by the lakes of Chorro). My concern is the effect the weather and temperature changes will have on an instrument like this. Teba weather is typical of the area (Alora, Campillos etc) so hot and cold through the year with relatively large swings. Though I would say the general humidity is not outrageously high or low at any time.

Does anyone else have a similar situation, how do you protect your guitar? :?:

TIA

Cheers
Kahuna
=======

Re: Protecting an Acoustic Guitar in Andalucia

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:43 pm

I have a guild countryman which I bought in the states, it's no good for playing classical because the sound is to deep but I play (badly and only for my own benefit) a lot of Woody Guthrie and Bob Dylan stuff so it's perfect for that kind of sound, you can also play excellent delta blues and bottleneck with this instrument,It has a body of birch but the neck is beech and these instruments have been known to warp under extreme conditions, I actually bought an insulated canvas case (from guild) but I know they sell them in shops, and it works a treat.
Can I suggest that if you're going to be spending a lot of time here (perhaps living here) then you support local business and buy an Ibanez, they come with their own cases as part of the package, cheers stantheman.

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:45 pm

Keep it in a closed hard case when not in use, somewhere near the bottom of the north-facing wall in the house, away from the stove in winter. Never expose it to direct sunlight, and keep it in tune all the time. The case should have a thick lining of velvet or similar.
Basically what you are trying to do is reduce the extremes of temperature and humidity. If you buy the guitar locally, ask if it was made here because a locally made one will probably be constructed to cope with the conditions here.
Slainte,
JohnP.

Kahuna
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Kahuna » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:49 pm

Thanks Guys

My new Guitar will probably be a Takamine or even a 000 Martin (if I can get the cash out without alerting the wife lol). Ibanez don't really do it for me I am afraid, though I know they do make some quality instruments.

My first effort at protection would be a solid - lined case. Just wondered if locals use any kind of humidifier / dehumidifier in the guitar body itself!

Are there any guitar dealers around Malaga that stand-out?

Appreciate the feedback guys

Cheers
Kahuna
=======

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:04 pm

This web site about protecting guitars from humidity and condensation may be of some help to you.

nevada smith

Postby nevada smith » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:01 am

google again: type in 'guitars and humidity' and the first page alone will plunge you into a lot of information...

Kahuna
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Kahuna » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:27 am

Thanks guys, I have had guitars almost all my life and understand what humidity does and the ramifications. My question was not one of basic understanding it was one of "experience in the Andalusian environment". i.e. Does the humidity fluctuate so dramatically that it will cause a problem with a well seasoned guitar etc, and I think some folks have answered that reasonably well... unless... someone knows differently!

But thanks for the effort.
Kahuna
=======