Viva Espana

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:58 pm

On the other side of the coin a Spanish friend came to stay in London with me and was learing english. She was ordering a meal and asked for kitchen and chips instead of chicken, when you think about it to someone not English they would sound the same.

My biggest mistake was Dónde está la caca instead of caja! and I wont translate!

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:01 am

they said best to leave as much furniture in Uk (ie sell it)
and buy in Spain ....from your experience what do you think?
We thought a lot about it, and asked for the experience of others.

To some extent it depends on what you have, its age and condition, and how much you value it.

We brought one double bed which was pretty new, but bought 2 more out here. Our sofas and chairs were past their best, so we left them behind, and bought here. Senor Nick's in La Cala have, in my view, very comfortable sofas. Our dining table and chairs were OK, but we felt not suitable for Spain, so they got left behind. We brought a couple of coffee tables that we like very much; one works well here, the other does not and will probably go.

We also had a good look at furniture shops when we were here on holiday so that we had a good idea what was available.

Remember, if you get rid of it, it is gone forever; if you bring it and change your mind, you can still get rid of it.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:24 pm

Alan-Cheam wrote:
Remember, if you get rid of it, it is gone forever; if you bring it and change your mind, you can still get rid of it.

Alan

and you get to pay the shipping on it too? remember, ever extra coffee table or armchair is another m2 = another 60 quid :shock:
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

paulellis
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby paulellis » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:01 am

We have the same problem. We are shipping out dining stuff but didn't really want to bring out sofas. We are struggling to find decent sofas though & prices in the UK seem to be dropping so much we are now considering buying in England and shipping out decent quality stuff as we feel it would still be better value

Paul

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:17 am

katy wrote:
My biggest mistake was Dónde está la caca instead of caja! and I wont translate!
No need Katy! :D I've just come back, and still laugh at our Spanish friend when she says "sheets" in English.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:24 am

and you get to pay the shipping on it too? remember, ever extra coffee table or armchair is another m2 = another 60 quid
True, and all part of the decision making process.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

Sue C
Tourist

Postby Sue C » Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:14 am

Hi Mr & Mrs Alan,
So glad the move went well, I'm just hoping the move from Carshalton Beeches to Spain next April goes as smoothly as yours,
Wishing you every happiness in your new home and life.

claire4james
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby claire4james » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:40 am

We too moved to La Cala De Mijas 8 weeks ago.

The problems we encountered were from the UK removals firm! All else went fairly smoothly (not stress free but fairly smoothly!)

I must say that I was surprised by the cost of property in La Cala (as opposed to other areas close by). We are currently renting a 4 bed place and whilst it is beautiful, has outstanding views etc etc, its costing 1800 per month in rent! this is unfurnished. We are looking to buy a 4 bed villa and are properties we are viewing are in the region of 500-600k.

In the short time we have been here, the kids are now settled in their respective schools, I am well into work, and the wife is starting to enjoy some peace and quiet during the day!.

Loving life here, I do drive to work, from La Cala to fuengirola, and whilst the n340 isn't the best of roads, driving to work with the sea at my side certainly beats the train into liverpool street!!!!

And I cant fault getting home from work and taking the kids to the beach!!!!

asiwalkedout
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby asiwalkedout » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:42 am

that sounds amazing - well the taking the kids to the beach after work bit! not so sure about the price of property, it seems really expensive!!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:08 pm

Well Claire4, you are certainly in a buyers market at the moment, hundreds of properties to choose from, don't forget to go in with a low offer.