Driving Companion/Instructor

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Susan2
Andalucia.com Amigo

Driving Companion/Instructor

Postby Susan2 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:57 pm

Hi, I know this might sound mad, but ... does anyone know anyone, a friend of a friend perhaps, who is an excellent driver on Spanish roads and can spare two or three hours each day for one week to help me get to know the Costa better and show me what to watch out for? Even a one-day 'crash' course would be good. I bought my car last week but local driving schools seem reluctant to take on a UK driver for a 'refresher' type course at the moment. I'd be grateful for any pointers. Thank you.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:40 pm

Hi Susan, can't help with your specific requirement but am sure somebody will. In the meantime, drive defensively and always expect the unexpected.
If you see a car with its indicator flashing, don't trust it - the driver probably forgot to cancel it when mistaking the indicator lever for the windscreen wiper lever whenever it was we last had some rain.
Seriously it's not so bad out there. I much prefer driving in Spain to driving in the UK. Have fun and good luck.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:05 am

Susan
can spare two or three hours each day for one week to help me get to know the Costa better and show me what to watch out for?
If you mean to pay for this, you should have no problem...you dont need an instructor just someone who drives well. If you mention the area you are in maybe someone here will offer...
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:22 am

It says Mijas Costa under Susan's name...

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:14 am

i would offer, but i am working starting monday. so i cant. lol. mijas costa is quite a "busy" town to drive about in really i think.

the only way you are going to get around it is by chucking 20 euros of fuel in your car and just going out driving for the sake of it, pick somewhere, drive to it, pick somewhere else, etc etc.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Susan2
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Susan2 » Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:09 pm

Thank you all for your replies - I am offering to pay by the way, whatever the 'going rate' might be. I'm interested in everything from Marbella Centro to Malaga Airport to begin with - they both seem pretty essential and if drivers are as unpredictable as you say then the N340 isn't a picnic.

jane grant

Postby jane grant » Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:38 pm

Hillybilly - You've obviously never driven in Plymouth - indicators are an optional extra there - if they are flashing it's a toss up which way the car is going - if it intends to turn at all!!! So driving here is just like driving there. (Oh and in Portsmouth, pedestrians wait for a car to come before trying to cross a road, made even more fun if they have a pram and are lurking behind a parked car!!!