Sun Dial

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
jane grant

Sun Dial

Postby jane grant » Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:45 pm

I seem to spend my life looking for things I cannot get, and my latest 'project' is a sun dial. We are landscaping our garden and thought that a sun dial would break up an area of gravel; and as this is Spain where the sun shines a lot, we thought it would be no problem! How wrong can a person be? I can buy as many fountains as I want (great idea in a drought), cherubs, angels, horses etc even bird tables (mostly with a fountain attached) but have yet to see a sun dial. Anybody got any ideas?

Nige
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nige » Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:35 pm

Why not design one yourself? You will probably already realise that sundials bought ready made will never give the correct time. If you have time on your hands and don't want the days to pass too quickly, why not make one yourself? You will need to decide on whether you want a dial that is fairly accurate or if you just want a simple decorative piece without any time giving properties. Both wall and fixed horizontal ones can give quite accurate times. Due allowance, when reading the time, has to be made for when the clocks change by an hour of course ! and you will learn a lot about the Equation of Time ! fascinating subject. But you could always have one made for your specific location.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:42 am

Jane have sent you a PM with the name and number of someone in Fuente de Piedra who may be able to help.