IBI confusion! Sorry.

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
villades
Tourist

IBI confusion! Sorry.

Postby villades » Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:39 pm

my first post and sorry if it has been dealt wth previously. My wife and I brought a house in Torrox pueblo in May, at the moment it is a holiday home and we get over about every 8 weeks. When last over in Sept, the IBI bill was waiting but in the name of the previous owner, I went to the office to pay it, but was told (i think, as my spanish is rudimentary) that i could'nt pay it as it was not in my name. am coming over again in Nov and bringing me Copia Simple with me. Will this be sufficient to formally change the name of the owner? And will I face a fine for late payment? Thanks. :oops:

Jane
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Jane » Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:40 pm

We had the same problem and we couldn't pay ours either. Eventually we managed to get to someone senior in the tax office who agreed to let me complete a "change form" whereby I put myself down as the person responsible. The form has Gestion IBI, Transmisiones de Dominio on the top of it. I can't remember exactly but I'm sure we had to produce the escritura and maybe other papers showing we we were the ones owning the house. Suggest you take electric bills etc as well just in case. They weren't keen on changing it to my name because the person whose name was on the IBI wasn't the person whose name was on the escritura. Our IBI didn't seem to have been changed for some years even though owners had changed.

But we got the form stamped by the tax office and then hey presto the next IBI bill came in my name. I don't know the situation about late payment I'm afraid. We have found that it's quite difficult to pay for lots of things and you have to persevere (which seems very different to what we are used to when trying to pay taxes!)
Jane