Dogs and flying

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Susi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Susi » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:30 pm

Two years ago we booked our dog on the same flight out as us from Birmingham on a cheap flight (My Travel I think). We had to take the dog to a special area at 4.30am to fly at 7am. When we got to check in we received a letter to say that due to a plane breaking down we were going to be on a flight from Liverpool and go via Mallorca two hours later than our original take off time. We asked to check on our dog but no one would let us. Eventually we spoke on the phone to someone who said she had been given water and was fine.
Once landing in Mallorca for passengers from Liverpool to disembark and passengers returning to Liverpool (via Malaga and Birmingham) to embark we remained on the ground for another hour. Eventually the pilot spoke over the intercom. "Ladies and gentlemen. We have a dog in the hold and the baggage handlers were worried about cases falling on her so we have had to rearrange the baggage hence the delay."
Finally, 12 hours after leaving the dog we arrived in Malaga airport. Nobody could tell us where to pick her up!!! The staff in the airport told us she would appear on the carousel. Stupidly we stood there waiting for a dog to be amongst the suitcases! After numerous calls to the handler in England we were told where to go and half an hour later she appeared on a forklift truck none the worse for her adventure. Luckily she is a well travelled dog but when it takes longer for her to get from England to Spain than her previous 9 hour flight from the Middle East I have to say that driving does seem the better option.

chrisuk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby chrisuk » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:30 pm

Susi wrote:I have to say that driving does seem the better option.
I tend to agree, tis how I did it but I do have my own transit van and so logic dictated it so, the 2 travelled very well apart from my nutty German Sheppard sqeezing her way up front to be passenger driver....I think they enjyed it more than I did, sleeping in the caravan I could swear I had 2 kids with me at the time, great fun had by all.....all together now...."ah bless"

geegee
Resident

Postby geegee » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:52 pm

Susi, when I brought my two cats from Heathrow to Malaga (BA accompanied pets flight - i.e. all 3 of us on same flight, reasonable price, easy process, lots of good advice on their website), they did indeed appear on the carousel with the suitcases, to the bemusement of the passengers. Maybe cats are more carousel-friendly!

fearfulfred
Resident

dog safe and sound

Postby fearfulfred » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:55 am

Thanks all ...dog arrived safe and sound. Air France charged about 135 euros for the flight Montreal to Paris. Very good and they handled the dog by hand all the way until we reached malaga. Once here we asked where he would arrive and they said on baggage carousel. They were right! He came down the carousel along with our suitcases! none the worse for it though and is now enjoying Spain as we are