Silly question but 'YES IT'S MY HOBBY'

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
lenjames
Andalucia.com Amigo

Silly question but 'YES IT'S MY HOBBY'

Postby lenjames » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:42 am

I live in the campo and my hobby is keeping chickens, all different types and colours. Not for food although the eggs are great. My problem is that, as many of you know the Spanish are generally not animal lovers and, a chicken is just a meal. So, I'm having trouble finding different birds. i found a good place in 'Coin' but does anyone know of any other place in the province that sells a variety of chickens and ground birds please. :?: :idea:

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Re: Silly question but 'YES IT'S MY HOBBY'

Postby Bongtrees » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:16 pm

I live near Valencia and have encountered the same problem.

Having kept a variety of bantams, ornamental ducks, pigmy goats and sheep everywhere else we have lived I have found it a great disappointment not to be able to continue here.

Mind you I have never seen hay or straw for sale where I live either nor indeed any fields of grass to make any.

Mike

gretch
Resident

Postby gretch » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:36 pm

Cracking hobby you two, thought about it a few times myself, just never got round to it. :wink:

For anyone else on the brink, this is a good website:-

http://rickschicken.co.uk/rickschicken/default.htm

Regards, gretch

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:42 am

lenjames..try a google search for "Aves mascotas"..or..if you have a good pet shop in your area you should be able to order what you want.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

olive
Andalucia Guru

poultry suppliers

Postby olive » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:11 pm

Hi

We bought our range of poultry from Hnos Cuesta (Agricultural store) at the bottom of Loja near the Gran Capitan bridge. I wanted some Andalucian Blues. Some chance!

They sell partridges and quail in addition to chickens. The stock bird is a common or garden brown bird and comes at point of lay - sadly with its beak clipped (stops them pecking the other birds apparently when kept in those small cages). From time to time they have other birds - e.g. beautiful black ones and grey ones with intact beaks. The black ones lay enormous eggs. They have also had some bantams from time to time sold as pairs (male and a female).

In the summer most pet stores seem to have common or garden week old chicks hidden away out back as well. You have to ask.

Loja is a fair way from you but you could try other agricultural stores. They always have loads of stuff out back or even in separate premises.

Where is the one at Coin please and what do the stock?

olive