Very young kittens

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Bramblator
Tourist

Very young kittens

Postby Bramblator » Tue May 09, 2006 1:18 pm

Hi

Yesterday I found 3 young kittens without a mum. I now nothing about cats as I have always been allergic to them and have therefore avoided them. I'm guessing that they are betweem 4 - 6 weeks old. Their eyes aren't quite open but they have small teeth.

I also have two dogs, one of which has a disliking for them.

So, what I'm asking is this...

Can anyone give me advice on how to feed them and on what? I don't aim to keep them due to above circumstances but in the meantime I can't see them die.

Are there any organisations for cats that will take them in?

Are there any individuals that would take 1 or 2?

Basically any help at all really?

Many thanks in anticipation of any help.

Caroline

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue May 09, 2006 1:47 pm

Ther are a few animal charities, which area are you? no expert but would suggest porridge and some shops sell kitten food/milk.
Last edited by katy on Tue May 09, 2006 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Tue May 09, 2006 1:49 pm

I would guess they need bottle feeding with milk, which would be a problem for you.
Grouser

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Tue May 09, 2006 2:15 pm

they are no more than 2 weeks old then. probably even less.

there is no way that you can look after them they will need feeding every few hours.

i would say that you are best off taking them to your nearest vets - they will know how to look after them and rehome them.

they are either going to be a ferral cats kittens or someone who has a cat has dumped them because they dont want to look after them.

i have 4 kittens born yesterday - all burmese, and another 4 that were born 5 weeks ago and they are running about and climbing all over everything :)
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Tue May 09, 2006 3:46 pm

If you do feed them use goats milk. You could well find problems if using cows as it is likely to cause diarrhorea.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Tue May 09, 2006 7:24 pm

yup, or watered down skimmed milk.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Tue May 09, 2006 7:27 pm

You could use an eye dropper to pop in milk, also if you go to the chemist they will have something useful. There are lots of places who will take them but mean while they will need feeding. Yes cows milk is not good for kittens as suggested above. The pet shop may have some ideas on what best to give them - good luck you are doing a great job :lol:

kexon
Resident

kittens

Postby kexon » Wed May 10, 2006 12:30 pm

:DI can definitely assist with this question,we acquired two cats with our new home,the female was pregnant ,gave birth and was run over by a car leaving kittens 4 to be precise of one week old,we sadly lost two,but successfully raised two healthy friendly kittens,following this method, go to the vet, they will give you free syringes and proper kitten milk,it is easy to use,feed on demand,do not use cows milk or anything else ,they cannot digest it,we gave five feeds a dayapprox,you will also need to toilet them which is also simple,use kitchen roll and clean and rub bottom,we managed despite a house full of brick dust and rubble due to new electrics being cut out, you can also purchase kitten milk inexpensively from the supermarcardo if they stock it in your area.Good luck,its worth the hard work.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Wed May 10, 2006 12:50 pm

kitten milk is avaliable in the pet foods bit of mercadona.

Busymum
Resident

Postby Busymum » Thu May 11, 2006 6:53 pm

Hi!

Just a word of warning and I know I am probably 'teaching my grandmother to suck eggs' but please be careful!

I have recently done a similar thing ..... trying to save a very young kitten and ended up with toxoplasmosis for my efforts! I know it was my own fault and I was as careful as I could be, being a nurse I do know the importance of good handwashing! I has not been pleasant experience I can tell you and I am still not to full health after several weeks, I am told it can take up to a month to clear up! So wash your hands, then wash them again!! Sadly the kitten did not survive as it was heavily 'infested' with worms and had other problems too, hopefully your will have had a slightly better start!

If you can save the kittens I am sure it will be rewarding especially if you keep them, I do know someone who did this and has two lovely cats now who are very friendly and gentle.

Have fun!