Free-standing pool pump/filter

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
crazyrhythm
Tourist

Free-standing pool pump/filter

Postby crazyrhythm » Fri May 12, 2006 8:28 pm

I need to buy an external pump/filter for our pool. It's a free-standing unit - a bit like a small dalek. The make we have at the moment is Astral or Plasteral, depending where I'm looking on the casing.

Does anyone know where I can get one in the Antequera region, preferably tomorrow? Last time we bought one (about four years ago) we had to go to Velez-Malaga but I suspect there ar places closer.

It doesn't need to be a direct rplacement model-wise so if anyone has any recommendations for a better brand please let me know. And no, we don't want to put a proper system in!

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat May 13, 2006 8:37 pm

You could try Electro-Remin of Loja, Poligono Fuente Santa (Antequera side of Loja and nearer than Velez Malaga). Not many types of pumps they don't have or can't get for you. If you speak Spanish tel: 617 481 088. If not, visit - they're a nice bunch and will work at understanding you without embarrassment. Good prices too. Open Mon-Fri usual times.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sat May 13, 2006 11:00 pm

i´d sell you mine...but you probably want a new one :)
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Re: Free-standing pool pump/filter

Postby Bongtrees » Sun May 14, 2006 11:31 am

crazyrhythm wrote:I need to buy an external pump/filter for our pool. It's a free-standing unit - a bit like a small dalek. The make we have at the moment is Astral or Plasteral, depending where I'm looking on the casing.
What size of pool does this work for? can you operate one of those pool cleaner things on it?

Anyone know of a web site for this type of freestanding machine?

Mike

crazyrhythm
Tourist

Postby crazyrhythm » Sun May 14, 2006 1:06 pm

Thanks for the offer of the used one! As we haven't found a shop open yet I'm very tempted to say "yes, please".

I'm not sure there is a site which discusses these but basically they are the ones which come with free-standing rubber/plastic pools. Ours is a concrete pool but has no system installed. Works fine and you can put one of those triangle wheelie things on the sucking end with no problems. Only thing it doesn't do is skim the surface.

Anyone else with more ideas about where to buy a pump? We have been sitting in the bar yesterday with friends drawing diagrams on serviettes trying to work out whether we could install a skimmer system without having to knock holes in the pool. Anyone ever done this? I suspect it would end up being a bit "Heath Robinson".

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Mon May 15, 2006 10:05 am

There are floating skimmers available which work. They connect to a submersible pump, may look untidy but better than a pool covered in leaves dead wasps and pollen. Not sure if they would be in the pool shops over here but koi dealers in the UK stock them.

Mhic.

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Mon May 15, 2006 11:36 am

I have a Desjoyaux pool which has the worst filtration system ever invented.

It has a washable cartridge type filter which is under floor level so involves getting down on all fours to haul a huge and heavy fabric sack full of water up and out to clean/replace. Bad for the back and a soaking every time.

I can still just about manage it but my wife cannot. This needs to be done 3 times a week. Using the automatic pool cleaner is equally arduous.

Does anyone have any ideas regarding rigging up a separate free standing pump filter which I can attach the cleaner to?

TIA

Mike

crazyrhythm
Tourist

Postby crazyrhythm » Mon May 15, 2006 11:56 am

By pool cleaner do you mean the thing you sweep the bottom with? One of those dalek things would work really well for that, especially if you have another separate pump/filter for water itself. You can find then online (look at EBay) for around £30, they are far more expensive in Spain though. You should be able to set it up to suck into its filter through the brush attachment, filter the water and put it back in again easily. The filter needs blasting with a fast hose once a week but that's easy enough and you don't even need to reprime the pump if you leave the pipes in. They look a bit untidy in a small pool though! Our problem has always been skimming the surface as these pump/filters have no way of doing that.
I have found one or two websites with combined pump/sand filters which look far more efficient and less work if you have room to build a housing for one. I think we might keep the dalek just for sweeping the bottom ocassionally and reprime it each time. And it looks as if we have found a workable skimming system too. We should be assembling all this later in the week so I can comment more later.