Sealing a new flat roof top terrace against the elements

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
olive
Andalucia Guru

Sealing a new flat roof top terrace against the elements

Postby olive » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:12 am

Does anyone know what (if anything) is done to seal a flat roof terrace?

A friend is having a new flat roof (traditional concrete beams, bovadillas then concrete laid on top with mallazo wire grid reinforcement) Then the builder appears to be going to lay suitable outdoor tiles and upstands on top of that with a slight fall and drains at the edge. It maybe that he is going to do something else e.g. a waterproof membrane somewhere but that may have got lost in the translation.

Has anyone had a similar thing done? Is it just water resistant tile adhesive!

olive

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:21 am

Normally the concrete is painted with a red latex sealing paint. I'm afraid I don't have a product name. This must be done with several coats and very carefully so as not to leave the slightest hole. The tiles are then laid on top. In our case they were not careful enough with the sealant and we have had to seal the tiles with a waterproofer. This is not satisfactory as traffic wears through it and it has to be re-sealed every year.
Grouser

campo babe
Resident

Postby campo babe » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:50 am

Yes, our roof terrace, and another terrace which has a room underneath has a waterproof membrane underneath the tiles. Sorry don't know the name.

This is OK as long as you know it is there. For example you cannot fix anything to the tiles if it is going to go through the tiles and into the membrane, i.e. posts for a gazebo etc. This would then make a way through the membrane for rain etc. and into the underneath rooms.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:13 pm

Our flat roof had a bitumen layer. It came in rolls about 1m wide and the overlaps were was joined with a blowtorch. This was then cemented over.

A couple of coats of "Gaucho" can be used if you want to seal a leaky roof - it's a rubber based paint also known as Impermearbizilante.

Rugoplast is a brand and it comes in red or white.

Sid

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:47 pm

sealer paint comes in three colours that i´ve seen so far, red, white and black. its very sticky, very thick, and you will need lots of it :)

normally a builder will spray the roof with a yellow "spray foam" type substance - thats what they seem to use now as a waterproofer.

i´ve worked on roofs where nothing is used, but they are generally more sloping.

yes, you can fix a gazebo or something to the roof, as long as you seal the holes with PLENTY of silicone sealer.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

nevada smith

Postby nevada smith » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:49 pm

he'll probably use
tela asfaltica (a tar-like sheeting)
or one of the new laminated PVC foils
(both are effective)...
depending on how hot the roof gets & whether there is a bedroom below -
your friend might want to consider insulation...
we always put down at least 5cm of DOW styropor roof panels
then the tela or the foil...

MarkF
Resident

Postby MarkF » Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:58 pm

I do this sort of thing for a living, our product is suitable. Take a look at my site and try and find some locally. I get loads of enquiries from ex-pats in Spain and France but it's heavy (1.5 kg per sq.M) an uneconomical to send from the UK.

campo babe
Resident

Postby campo babe » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:47 am

Thanks spanish_lad for the info about using Silicone to seal the holes when fixing something to the roof. I will have to see if I can persuade my husband that we can now have some shade on our roof terrace!

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:34 pm

Many thanks for all your replies. I have passed these on to Bob.

olive

AndyLucyOne
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Sealing a new flat roof top terrace against the elements

Postby AndyLucyOne » Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:47 pm

What is the recommended finished-fall for a tiled flat roof terrace in Andalucia, to cope with the peak rainfall ?