British-style Bacon

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: British-style Bacon

Postby El Cid » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:49 am

peteroldracer wrote:This seems to come and go - there was none in our local Lidl yesterday. We have found the smoked version to be very high in salt, and despite assurances from shop staff are convinced it has been frozen, preventing us from freezing it for storage. Iceland bacon is ok, though sometimes produces foam that must be cooked away, again raising suspicions of having been frozen.
The new one is labelled as Panceta de Espalda. It's 2.8g salt, which is near enough the same as the Spanish streaky brands. It would not have been frozen as it is vacuum packed. The date on this one is 17 November which is more than 6 weeks. Incidentally, it is perfectly safe to thaw and refreeze food so long as it does not get over 5c. Iceland haddock is caught in the Atlantic and frozen before being shipped to China where it is thawed, filleted and repackaged. That's why they suggest cooking it from frozen.

The white liquid that often comes out when cooking has nothing to do with it being frozen, it's because of the way they pump water into to increase the volume. A dry cured bacon does not have that problem, but that is difficult to find, even in Iceland.

Sid

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:20 pm

It's a nightmare for me here getting decent bacon, the only place I can get it is in Carrefour where the imported stuff costs €3.00 for 3 rashers so I don't bother, I suppose I could get in in the south of the island where the british package holiday makers go but it's a 1 hour trip each way so I can't be bothered.
However every cloud has a silver lining, I will be travelling to the Manchester area next weekend for a short trip so I'll be stocking up on my bacon, black pudding (from Bury, the proper stuff) and my Hollands pies !!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:29 pm

What you need is a Brit-cafe owner to break the code of Omerta and tell you where they buy the stuff! They nearly all serve the right stuff, and obviously do not pay an excessive amount. All I have ever got back is "Ah-ha! Wouldn't you like to know?" or similar.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Evelyn
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Evelyn » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:29 pm

If anyone is interested in smoking their own. Lakeland do smoker bags, £5.99 for 10. Just put whatever you want to smoke in the bag, seal and put into oven.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:04 am

It's back in Lidl, bought a couple of packs from Algarobbo this morning.
Regards

Bob

Stevemul
Resident

Postby Stevemul » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:04 am

https://www.cureandsimple.com/buy-a-gift

.....for the man who has everything!

- a tad expensive though!

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:20 am

Got back from Blighty yesterday with 2 kgs smoked bacon, ½ kg black pudding and 12 pork sausages, I'll be okay for a while :-) and by the way, I just carried them in an ordinary plastic bag though check in, security and put them in overhead locker, no problem, they were deep frozen and wrapped in bubble wrap so still frozen when I got back !!