Kippers

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
buddyboy940
Andalucia.com Amigo

Kippers

Postby buddyboy940 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:07 pm

HELP!!! I used to go down to Morrisons Gibralter to buy my kippers but they have stopped doing them, Can't live without my Kippers. Any ideas anyone, can I get them anywhere on the CDSol?
Regards David. :cry:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Kippers

Postby El Cid » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:27 pm

Not the ones with the bone in - fillets are easier (from Iceland) but don't taste the same. I have a good supply of the real thing in the freezer from a friend who brought them back from the UK. I looked at UK mail order and there are loads of suppliers, but so far, I haven't found one that will ship to Spain.

Sid

Mike Lytt
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mike Lytt » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:42 pm

British Corner Shop supply them and Ship to Spain, expensive but going to give them a try for other bits at some stage and see what the service is like

https://www.britishcornershop.co.uk/inv ... ppers-pair

buddyboy940
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby buddyboy940 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:20 am

Thanks to El Cid and Mike, I found a couple of sites in UK that wil export them via DHL, as they say, they will only guarantee fresh fish, packed in ice, for 24hrs, but as kippers are smoked they will endure a longer trip, as mike says, they are expensive, Just had fillets this morning, made me realise how much I miss the real thing. Think i'll give it a go, i'll keep you posted.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:46 am

Hi buddyboy940,
You don't have a Location on your Profile..............
Be aware that Courier Services aren't door to door in some areas.........DHL have drop off locations and might be a better bet than some "unknown address" in the campo or " village we don't deliver too"

Enjoy your kippers................
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:36 am

I buy mine from Arkwrights in Puente Don Manuel. You don't show a location so I don't know if this is anywhere near to you. Otherwise I would have thought Iceland stock them.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:59 am

Iceland only stock Kipper fillets - not the same thing at all.

Sid

buddyboy940
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby buddyboy940 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:15 pm

Enrique. Hi Enrique, I live in Carvajal, Fuengirola and i'm pretty sure that DHL deliver here. However, I have sent off requests to two UK companies today, I was only ordering six, as a test run really, but as yet had no replies, maybe the order is too small.
Regards David.

TerryC
Resident

Postby TerryC » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:16 am

Manx Kippers from the Isle of Man are exported around the world. Just Google kippers Isle of man to satisfy your culinary desires.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:11 am

If you have found one that does I would appreciate a link. When I recently did a thorough search I came up with none who would ship outside the UK so it would be really useful if you have found one.

Sid

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:38 pm

I've just found one that wants, brace yourselves, £81 to deliver 12 Manx Kippers to Spain.

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Tue May 30, 2017 11:20 am

Talk about being stitched up like a kipper !

anyroads

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Tue May 30, 2017 9:25 pm

easy kipper recipe: Herrings, bloaters are my favorite, split them into butterflies and remove the innards, mix 1 litre of water with 250 grammes of sea salt and put mixture in a fairly deep dish and immerse the herrings, bung em in the fridge and leave for 30-40 mins.

Rinse them with fresh cold water and drain and pat then dry with a disposable kitchen towel, bung em back in the fridge for a few mins then smoke them in a smoking box (widely available) using preferably oak chippings.

Traditionally they should be cold smoked which means that the oak chips should be barely smouldering, for about 10-12 mins, bear in mind that of you cold smoke them they will be flavored but NOT cooked so before eating them you would need to heat them in frying pan for 6-7 mins, However if you you turn up the heat a little during the smoking process and smoke them for 4-5 mins more they will be cooked and ready to eat.
I've used this method literally hundreds of times and it's really easy, the biggest outlay is for the smoking box .about €20-25.

If you live in the campo you don't even need to buy a smoking box, just an old stainless steel pan with a lid on will do over an open fire or even a gas ring, don't use aluminium or copper, it will spoil the flavour, happy smoking.

You can also use this method for cod and haddock ;-)