Rosé wine.

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
jeanie27
Andalucia.com Amigo

Rosé wine.

Postby jeanie27 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:13 pm

Can anyone on here recommend a very dry Rosé wine? I have a friend here who is looking for one that is ultra dry. I don't drink it so can't help. Suggestions will be very welcome. Thank you x

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Rosé wine.

Postby costakid » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:58 am

Rose has made a bit of a comeback in recent years so some good ones around. I would go into your local wine store and ask.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:04 am

Spain now produces loads of Rose wines and they are all pretty dry. They vary enormously in taste as they use many different grape varieties. As a result the vary from a very light pink to a light red. One well know brand is almost a brown pink.

What that means is than one person will recommend the one he like whereas another may suggest something entirely different. Sadly, you will have to get through a lot of bottles before you find your favourite - not much of a hardship! Lidl have a decent one to try first. It is from Navarra and is under €2 and surprisingly drinkable at that low price. It's a dark pink with a silver grey label. The name is in a very odd script which is almost unintelligible. Something like "Omezguiriz". Give it a try and work up from there.

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:43 pm

The Californian ones tend to be too sweet. Not a great lover of any but I prefer the blush with a hint on pink. There is a good one from Bilbao region which is barely pink. I prefer them from provence but useless to recommend here as they won't be obtainable.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:31 pm

El Cid wrote:Spain now produces loads of Rose wines and they are all pretty dry. They vary enormously in taste as they use many different grape varieties. As a result the vary from a very light pink to a light red. One well know brand is almost a brown pink.

What that means is than one person will recommend the one he like whereas another may suggest something entirely different. Sadly, you will have to get through a lot of bottles before you find your favourite - not much of a hardship! Lidl have a decent one to try first. It is from Navarra and is under €2 and surprisingly drinkable at that low price. It's a dark pink with a silver grey label. The name is in a very odd script which is almost unintelligible. Something like "Omezguiriz". Give it a try and work up from there.

Sid
Sids advice will not work as the original poster said they are teetotal. That is why i suggested going into a wine shop to ask.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:42 pm

I missed that, but she can still buy my recommendation.

Sid

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:22 pm

katy wrote:The Californian ones tend to be too sweet. Not a great lover of any but I prefer the blush with a hint on pink. There is a good one from Bilbao region which is barely pink. I prefer them from provence but useless to recommend here as they won't be obtainable.
So do I, but as you say, almost unobtainable in Spain. Spain is very parochial when it comes to wine, to find any non Spanish wine is a real challenge. I frequently cook meals for friends with recipes from a particular country or area. I like to match the wines but that can be a real challenge! I did a Middle Eastern menu recently but I managed to find some very good Israeli wine from the Golan Heights in Alcampo.

Alcampo probably has the best choice of “foreign” wines that I have seen (possibly as they are French). They even have a Chinese wine and it’s not just a cooking wine. Wines from South America pop up occasionally as, being mainly Spanish speaking, they seem to be more acceptable. Chilean wines, in particular are very good indeed. Casillero de Diavolo is a very good one, red and white. I have bought that in Eroski.

Lidl sometimes have a good range of foreign wines as a special offer for a week or so. I have some very good French Burgundy wines that appeared recently and also some excellent Italian wines. Sadly these offers are rare. Luckily I have a good friend who lives in France and drives down to his villa in Spain a couple of times a year. He keeps me well stocked!

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:44 am

Yes I remember getting French wines from Alcampo. El Corte Ingles gourmet shop in Banus has a good selection....at a price! I used to buy Barbadillo White from Cadiz area, crisp and dry and not expensive, perhaps they do a rose?

jeanie27
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jeanie27 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:25 pm

Thank you everyone, I have passed on your suggestions and I'm sure our friends will have fun finding one they like.
Costakid, thank you - I only wish it were true but your teetotal comment did make me laugh anyway. I just dont drink rosé, the other stuff is a different matter, but bless you for saying it. :thumbup:

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:32 pm

costakid wrote:
El Cid wrote:Spain now produces loads of Rose wines and they are all pretty dry. They vary enormously in taste as they use many different grape varieties. As a result the vary from a very light pink to a light red. One well know brand is almost a brown pink.

Sid
Sids advice will not work as the original poster said they are teetotal. That is why i suggested going into a wine shop to ask.
The original poster wrote that she didn't drink IT, meaning perhaps that she didn't drink rose wine !

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:03 pm

Thats what the OP said 2 hours before you posted

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:49 pm

I didn't see that, I'll put it down to my age :crazy: !!