Breast Feeding in Public

Pregnant, giving birth, looking for nurseries, schools, or simply want to share advice with other parents in Andalucia? Find out more on this forum.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Breast Feeding in Public

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:41 pm

I was watching the reports on TV today with regard to breastfeeding in public, some people seem to find it inappropriate, here in Spain I don't remember seeing many ladies breast feeding their babies in public. however when we've been visiting friends houses it seems quite common and normal.
Personally I don't have a problem with it, but when it comes to nappy changing in public or men peeing at the roadside or against walls in public areas ...well that's a different matter...so uncouth... :lol:
What do you Think ?
Regards,
Gordon

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Re: Breast Feeding in Public

Postby country boy » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:18 pm

We raised three children, all were breast fed. Mrs CB never once felt it necessary to do it in public, why is it now becoming such a thing?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:55 pm

It’s a “look at me, I’m a clever mummy” thing.

I can’t see it is necessary, it never was in the past so what has changed.

Sid

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:01 pm

Times change.
Not so long ago a pregnant woman spent her confinement indoors. It was not acceptable for a pregnant woman to be seen in public.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:32 pm

Women used to wear maternity dresses but now just wear leggings and a big T-shirt. I must admit though, I can't remember that many people breast feeding here but I've been in London for the last month and I saw it on a few occasions.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:03 pm

I do, occasionally, see women breastfeeding their babies in public and they are always, in my opinion, pretty discreeet about it, often draping themselves with a cloth or jacket so there is nothing intimate on view. It seems odd that advertisements, etc. in public places can show far more of women's breasts and nobody seems to object to that, whereas a natural function like feeding a baby is seen as distasteful by some.

The other things Benidorm mentioned such as nappy changing in public are offensive on hygiene grounds, but I don't see why mothers should be expected to feed their babies in public toilets, for example, which might pose a hygiene risk to them and their babies.

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:22 pm

El Cid wrote:It’s a “look at me, I’m a clever mummy” thing.

Sid
What an utterly absurd comment. Never once have I witnessed anything remotely resembling that kind of attitude, always been discreet when I've noticed it. Amazing that you see far more female breasts au natural whilst sitting having a drink at any Chiringuito along the Costas and I don't see any one kicking off and getting offended by it. Yet when it comes to a basic human right of a Mother feeding a hungry child it seems a very small section of people get outraged by it....quite odd.
I So Bella tis you

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:47 pm

Well....
Lots of differing views around...
We brought up 3 children and they were never breast fed in public.....but that was probably because they had to be fed by bottle.. :D
There are many things that differ now from 40 odd years ago, some good some bad.

Having babies then seemed to be a normal expected part of being a parent, so maybe now it's thought of something special,fine by me,but maybe they will come back to earth when their offspring become teenagers... :shock:

Regards,
Gordon the Milkman

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:28 pm

Paulinmalaga wrote:

Sid
What an utterly absurd comment. Never once have I witnessed anything remotely resembling that kind of attitude, always been discreet when I've noticed it. Amazing that you see far more female breasts au natural whilst sitting having a drink at any Chiringuito along the Costas and I don't see any one kicking off and getting offended by it. Yet when it comes to a basic human right of a Mother feeding a hungry child it seems a very small section of people get outraged by it....quite odd.
It’s an opinion to which I am entitled.

You may think it absurd, that’s your opinion.

Please respect other people’s opinions on this forum, we are all entitled to them.

Sid

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:20 am

If I want to see a strangers breasts in public, I go to a topless Bar. Not Having a kidlet swinging from the end of it.

Its just pure Bravado... I can ...so I will

If often thought if a woman gets her breast out, how would she react if a guy got his *beep* out ---- Oh yes ! ...he gets Arrested

wembason420
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby wembason420 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:34 am

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:28 pm

I can’t see it is necessary, it never was in the past so what has changed.

Sid
I don't often agree with your opinions, but this one I definitely do!

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:01 pm

Feeding a hungry baby is no more a "human right" than emptying a full bladder. Neither needs to be done in full public view though, so knowing damned well that some people find one or other of these actions offensive, it's either bad planning, pure ignorance or shameless provocation. Totally agree with Sid.

And another thing - one of my most despised expressions: "You wouldn't understand, you're not a parent". WTF? What's to understand? I've been a child, I have parents, billions of people around the world have children, I've seen enough of them to know what it's all about, and it's not rocket science. Don't try to patronize me just because you turned out to be pretty crappy at the job!
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:20 pm

All the replies seem to have been from men and most of them against mothers breastfeeding in public.
Don't any women/ mothers on this forum have an opinion?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Stevemul
Resident

Postby Stevemul » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:51 pm

My mother used to tell me that I was breast fed right through childhood but she had to stop when she couldn't get them through the school railings!!

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:30 pm

gerryh wrote:All the replies seem to have been from men and most of them against mothers breastfeeding in public.
Don't any women/ mothers on this forum have an opinion?
Cheers
Gerry
Was thinking exactly that Gerry, the overwhelming majority are as you say are from men. I can't help but wonder why the reticence from the female members! Its an unstoppable fact that times change but sometimes not all opinions follow suit, however personally never been in a situation where I've been offended by it.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:38 pm

Gerry and firsttango I was just thinking the same...

Well......
Some strong views and I can understand where they are coming from, however I try hard not to be too judgemental.

I was thinking and remembering places that I've visited around the world where breastfeeding in public seems to be accepted and really it's more places than not.
I wonder if people in UK are less tolerant ?
Don't get me wrong I don't particularly agree with it , but I do think most mums are quite discreet and maybe they're feeding them rather than letting the child scream the place down.?
As some have mentioned you can walk along most beaches and see loads of topless sun worshipers ...........
....and that's just the men.. :lol:
On Benidorm beach I remember thinking that it looked like a sea of fried eggs.... :shock:

Regards,
Gordon

i

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:46 pm

"A sea of fried eggs"? Gordon you must have visited some strange Cafes :wink:

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:54 pm

firsttango,
If you had dined on 'Belly Buster ' breakfasts in some of the Benidorm bars ,you would fully understand my description.... :lol: ....... :wink:

Regards,
Gordon

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:00 pm

:thumbup: :lol: