Blood tests

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
rosie_leeuk
Tourist

Blood tests

Postby rosie_leeuk » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:03 pm

Hi, new to the forum and would like some information please. We will be visiting from January to March next year and would like to know how my husband would be able to get INR blood tests done, he normally has them every 4-6 weeks so would probably need 2 tests done whilst away. Can anyone tell me where he would get them done and the cost? Thanks

olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Blood tests

Postby olive » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:18 pm

Welcome to the forum. I had to google INR blood test.

You can get blood tests done here at "your doctors" or at some larger Farmacia's ( High street chemists). The latter definitely do blood tests for example cholestrol, diabetes, prostate. Those that do take the sample early in the day , the same as at your doctors where a nurse deals with those scheduled specific days of the week. (e.g. turn up at 8.30 ). Cost for those at doctor is free at the chemists it varies. Cheapest was about 5 euros from memory and most expensive 20 euros.

If you can wait till I next go , I could ask . Might be someone on here who lives near a farmacia could ask if no one knows.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:55 pm

If your east of Malaga Clinic Rincon.

rosie_leeuk
Tourist

Postby rosie_leeuk » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:21 pm

Thanks for your replies, we wont have a doctor as only staying 3 months, so assume it would be the farmacies. The blood test is for regulating his meds...warfarin. Yes no problem waiting as any advice is gratefully accepted.

We are staying in the La Cala area

rosie_leeuk
Tourist

Postby rosie_leeuk » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:30 pm

Just a thought, at our doctors they use a machine to do the test and you get the result straight away, I assume this isnt the case in Spain?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:50 pm

The tests at the health centres give an immediate result. It's worth noting that they tend not to use Warfarin in Spain, Sintron seems to be the normal drug.

If you have an EHIC card, you are entitled to any treatment that you need for a chronic condition, so you could use that for free.

Sid

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:09 pm

Concur, we have an acquaintance who is a two month visitor over the winter. She is on Wafarin and she just went to the local health centre (Frigiliana), was redirected to Nerja (Area Mission Control) no problem at all and no charge.

rosie_leeuk
Tourist

Postby rosie_leeuk » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:35 pm

Thanks so much for the replies...He will be bringing his own warfarin with him so need to get anything else. We wont have a car so getting to Nerja could be a problem....unless public transport can take us there. Or can we pay at the farmicies? Dont mind waiting for the result.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:41 pm

Hi,
Check out Taxi prices.........can get a long way for not much cash up this way.............. :idea:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:48 pm

Nerja was an example your nearest centre will do it.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:49 am

rosie_leeuk wrote:Thanks for your replies, we wont have a doctor as only staying 3 months, so assume it would be the farmacies. The blood test is for regulating his meds...warfarin. Yes no problem waiting as any advice is gratefully accepted.

We are staying in the La Cala area

Do you mean La Cala de Mijas? If so it has an excellent health centre with English translators. I am sure you could get it done there. You can also register temporarily with a health card and get a GP. I know someone who does it as they only winter in Spain.

rosie_leeuk
Tourist

Postby rosie_leeuk » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:50 pm

Hi, Yes I believe that it is, the address I have is Urb. Jardin Butiplaya. The health card you mention is that the EH1C? Thanks so much for the info

rosie_leeuk
Tourist

Postby rosie_leeuk » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:26 pm

Hi I emailed medicare centre in La Cala and recieved a reply telling me they are a private clinic and the procedure for having these blood tests, they send the sample to the lab and takes around 2 days for the results. They then contact our doctor at home to tell them the results and the doctor then rings us to tell us of any changes in dosage.
Think I will try to find a local farmicie and if possible email them to ask what their procedure is.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:05 pm

This is the one I meant, not private it is health service one and free with EHIC

http://www.juntadeandalucia.es/servicio ... ntro=24894

rosie_leeuk
Tourist

Postby rosie_leeuk » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:54 pm

Thanks Katy