Have You Tried This ????

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Have You Tried This ????

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:37 am

FLAXSEED
We started adding Flaxseed to our food about 9 months ago and honestly have to say that we both really feel much healthier and we've both lost weight !!

The Flaxseed is available widely in many forms and we use Organic Milled Flaxseed , and we have a relative who sends it to us but you can buy it in Health Food Shops in UK & Spain.
It is much cheaper than buying all of the vitamin capsules and vitamins that claim so much, and we no longer use them.

Flaxseeds are rich in Omega 3, Fibre, Lignans, and vitamins and minerals, it helps to lower blood cholesterol and blood sugar levels, and helps keep your weight down, helps relieve constipation and keeps you Regular..!!!
It also helps autoimmune and inflammatory disorders and generally makes you feel healthier !
We haven't tried to purchase it in Spain, so I'm not sure about prices etc., but it is widely available online, but you have to check out the prices, some companies charge too much and offer it in fancy packaging, but really you just want to look for plain packaging and bulk ,if you can.
To use it just sprinkle on your breakfast cereal, yogurt and you can add it to salads, stews, smoothies etc., it doesn't have a strong taste so you don't really notice it.
I would personally recommend that you start with a small amount and increase it gradually, and keep it in your fridge.
To benefit from it I would suggest that you use it everyday.

Anyway Give it a Go and please report back with results... :wave:

Regards,
Gordon..

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Re: Have You Tried This ????

Postby oliveview01 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:23 pm

I have been taking Turmeric pills for a few days, my knees are much better.

Mariacristina
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mariacristina » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:45 am

Gordon and Pam . . very interested to read this . . I shall look out for flax seeds . . no idea where I can buy turmeric pills . . . any suggestions Pam? . . and now you have both become health gurus I would really be grateful for any recommendations for combating wrinkles, arthritis, aches and pains , creaky joints . . . tiredness after only ten hours work and the inability to party later than 3am. I'm suffering from the effects of getting old and I don't like it. Help! (PS This is a serious request for some useful ideas . . and I know you both have those).

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:28 pm

I thought I'd try this as Holland and Barret in the UK have 500g for £1.99.
Golden flax seeds look very similar to the food we used to give Bobby the budgie.
Mrs Nimrod says I've been chirpy all day.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:58 am

Mariacristina,
First I must apologise for the delay in responding to your input and requests, I've been so busy catching up with all of the jobs that I couldn't be bothered doing during the summer heat and now having been revitalized with the daily dose of Flaxseed we both have been tackling everything with much gusto !! :lol:
I'm sure that you could probably easily find Flaxseed in Spain in the many health food shops and turmeric can be obtained in Asian type food shops and some Spanish market that sell spices etc., I would suggest that you don't need to buy turmeric in pill form, buy it loose and just add to your cooking, it's cheaper ! ( and good to hear that turmeric is helping OV1 with knee problems .. :thumbup: )
And of course if you have difficulty in obtaining supplies locally there is a massive selection available on line ..such as e-bay etc.

As for getting tired after only working 10 hours a day and finding it difficult to party after 3am...Well what can I say?... :D

Regards,
Gordon & Pauline ( sometimes known as Pam...)

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:06 am

Nimrod the Budgie,
Be careful that you don't fall asleep standing on one leg, at your age you could do yourself some harm... :lol:

If you bought flaxseed in whole form may I suggest that you 'mill it' in a coffee grinder or similar, it's then easy to use and more beneficial .

That was a good price at only £1.99 at H & B, was it on offer or is that their regular price ?

Regards,
G & P.....

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:05 pm

Hello Gordon,
Yes it was cheap cheap wasn't it.
They have it on special offer at £1.99.
Any idea where I can get cuttlefish......my beak is getting long
:thumbup:

Juliedespino

Postby Juliedespino » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:12 am

No, I didn't Tried this. thank you for sharing

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:27 am

As a quick update...Mercadona stock flax seeds, quite cheap, they also have Chia seeds.

We still use the above daily , also we find that it is better to grind the seeds and sprinkle on yogurt, porridge stews etc.

Anyone else found the benefits of taking flax-chia seeds ?

Regards,
Gordon.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:56 am

You can buy Turmeric in the Supermarkets it is called carcuma. What a flax seeds called in Spanish Gordon. I might try that if it helps to be revitalized and I may sprinkle Curcuma in my stews. I used to use it when I made Paella but as I am busy dieting I do not - at the moment anyway - cooking paella. Good information though. Hope your knees are still doing well Pam!
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:24 pm

Mariacristina wrote:Gordon and Pam . . very interested to read this . . I shall look out for flax seeds . . no idea where I can buy turmeric pills . . . any suggestions Pam? . . and now you have both become health gurus I would really be grateful for any recommendations for combating wrinkles, arthritis, aches and pains , creaky joints . . . tiredness after only ten hours work and the inability to party later than 3am. I'm suffering from the effects of getting old and I don't like it. Help! (PS This is a serious request for some useful ideas . . and I know you both have those).
We take turmeric, moringa and. CBD oil capsules daily. It easy to make your own capsules of turmeric, or any other supplement that can be made into powder or liquid.

You can buy empty gel capsules, I use size 00, which can be bought on eBay cheaply, even with postage to Spain. Get you turmeric powder, wholesalers like Loypar sell a big jar for around 10 euros. Then simply fill the capsules. A slightly tedious task, but I have time on my hands and once you get a rhythm going it's a reasonably quick process.

For Moringa we have a couple of trees in the garden. Simply cut off the leaves which I then dry in my food drier thingy, the grind in a coffee grinder to dust. Then fill the capsules.

CBD I use a coconut oil base then use a syringe to fill capsules.

Can't speak for the turmeric (or I guess any shop bought product) but at least I know the other caps are pure moringa or CBC.

BTW fresh raw turmeric root is becoming pretty common on marker herb/but stalls now.
Regards

Bob

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:47 pm

Hello Bob,

I do have a lot of capsules size 00 which I ordered when my puss cat had to be pilled with a variety of medicines and I purchased them from the States and you have to buy something like a 1000! So I could do that, but as you say it is slightly tedious. I spend hours crushing up tablets and then apportioning the correct size to each capsule. I might pass on that it was a full time job.

I wonder if you could take it in a strong drink! I might try that. There is a lot about Tumeric and if it helped Pams knees I might give it a whirl.

Thanks for that information.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:33 pm

Pat, you can probably buy quantities of less than 1000, but given the postage cost it's probably not worth it. I recently bought 2 x 1000 from eBay UK, delivered to Spain for a shade under 20 quid. Should last us a while...

Bit tedious but once you get into a rhythm its OK. I'd guess at under 10 secs per capsule. Have a few weeks worth in no time.

Turmerec was featured on TV program Super foods recently. While I had prostate cancer I made Golden Paste, turmeric,black pepper, coconut oil. Black pepper apparently helps the body digest the active ingredient in turmeric, which it seems it can't do in pure form. They also mentioned this on Superfoods.
Regards

Bob

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:50 pm

I have just read about using black pepper Bob.

I looked at ways to use it and I am going to try it on my vegetables this evening to see how it goes.

I shall try to take some every day and perhaps.................Uuum put some in the 100's of capsules I have left! :think:

It certainly seems worth trying it every day and see what happens. So much written about it recently.

Thanks for the tips, it seems it is used for a lot of things, cancer one of them, reducing inflammation etc. I will see how my knees are after a few weeks of taking it. :thumbup: They had improved but with all the physical work I did in the UK on my flat I think I over did it, not to mention that my shoulders are killing me in the mornings due to using the roller to paint the walls :thumbdown:

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:15 pm

There's another excellent treatment for aches and pains, and it seems to work. You need a supply of weed tho'. Not to smoke or ingest, but to make a linament which you rub on to the infected area. If you have access to some it's easy to make. Take a mason jar or similar and simply put an ounce of bud into 1ltr of alcohol and leave for a couple of days. Then rub onto the affected area. Since you're not ingesting it cheap alcohol from your local Chinese emporium is fine. Spanish workers hear swear by it.

I twisted my knee recently and within a couple of days the pain was gone. Couple of years ago I twisted my other knee sandboarding down a dune in the Atacama desert. Stupid really as I knew it would end badly but did it anyway. Doctors here put me on high dose ibuprofen, so high that I had to take additional pills to protect my stomach lining, omniprazel i think it was. Took long time to get better, but it was a worse sprain.
Regards

Bob

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:23 pm

Thanks for the tip, but I have to say I do not think I will be getting in a supply of "weed" :D . I have to say I cannot stand the smell for a start. I know it does help a lot of ailments though, but I will stick to Turmeric. Just had some and it didnt taste or smell of anything :thumbup:

Omniprazal. Yes my cat has that to stop stomach acid.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:53 pm

Im the opposite and hate the smell of turmeric, at least sealed in a cap there's virtually no smell. :)
Regards

Bob

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:07 am

Patricia,
Sorry about the delay in replying I was very business with my various projects.!

Mercadona stock Semillas de Lino ( flax seeds ), which is the seed we use at the moment, they also have Chia and other seeds, we mix them and add mainly to yoghurt, porridge ,stews etc, no real taste but the seeds do tend to get between your teeth.!
We've used them for a few years now and tried a short time without them, but noticed the difference.
We do try to eat well, not perfectly, but we do eat massive quantities of fresh fruit and veg and dried fruit and have local honey each day and make our own yogurt, and recently stopped using margarine ....now use only butter and cut back ice cream :( in favour of eating frozen yogurt..really nice...( we make our own --easy )
Whether all our efforts actually work I don't know, maybe just a 'placibo' effect...who cares, we do feel better, not sure if it makes you look younger, I'm 71 and look 71... :D , but do feel good.!

Bob has added some great tips and if you have time probably really worth producing your own capsules as outlined.

I have always believed that using as many natural products as possible is beneficial to good health, but of course lifestyle ailments are mainly self-inflicted so really it is most important to change 'bad habits' and adapt new lifestyles, that is if you want to live a longer and healthier life... :thumbup:
Regards,
Gordon

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:28 am

I agree with everything you say. However I am a vegetarian and so eat loads and loads of vegetables as well as berries. I eat yogurts but only made from Soy as I move away from eating anything made from animal products and I really love them. I sprinkled an egg spoon of Tumeric over my veggies last night and tasted not a thing and so for now I will do that as I eat veggies every day and I also make a lot of stews. I am going to do that every day one way or another. If I do not have vegetables I shall put it in my grapefruit juice that I have in the morning. I do not know what dose to use but as it cannot do any harm I shall for the moment stick to the egg spoon measure!

Well all these remedies have been used for thousands of years it is just that we got out of the habit and of couse a lot of the medicine that are produced in laboratoris artificialy but which are based on the natural remedies in the first place that we used for 1000s of years.

I will get some flax seeds when I next go shopping next.

You are right about self inflicted. The sight of me up the ladder with a telescopic roller thingy was not a pretty sight, paint everywhere, although I did put a plastic bag on my head! nothing like trying to get paint out of your hair :P and a wore work mans overalls. The throw away ones. However my shoes and feet suffered and so did my joints -not to mention the ground outside as I was painting the outside walls -. So little wonder the joints in my shoulders are suffering as well as my knees, going up and down the ladder with paint pots etc :) Still if you want a job doing most of the time it is better to get on with it yourself. I have had a few cowboys in my time. :x

Still on wards and upwards :mrgreen:

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:48 am

Patricia,
Interesting to note that you are vegetarian, we have tried several times to cut out meat, but failed... :oops:
However we have cut down and rarely eat red meat and personally think that it is very important to avoid when possible any processed foods.

As for aches and pains, I've found that gentle regular massage of the affected areas works well, self administered massage if you can as it helps to control the pressure placed on the painful areas.
Using the various gel/ointment products available does help , but not essential, I read years ago that Roman soldiers used natural honey as cure-all ointment and even for toothache, maybe they knew what they were doing.?
Anyway may I wish you and everyone else a healthy and pain free day... :wave:
Regards,
Gordon