Health screening on Spanish NHS

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Health screening on Spanish NHS

Postby Wicksey » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:26 pm

I was just wanted to know what general health screening is available here on the NHS. I am now in the mammogram screening programme but wondered if there is one for prostate for my OH, or other general ones such as for skin or bowel cancer.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Re: Health screening on Spanish NHS

Postby Lyric » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:00 pm

One thinks there is one for smears too, will check when SM back from Pilates. We have not been offered any of those you mention but certainly Skin problems our/your doc bundles you off to Torre Hospital to Dermatology toute suite. See no reason why he wouldn't do that for the others, just ask.

You didn't wave this morning.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:39 pm

Didn't see you Mr L ..... I would have waved if I had .... perhaps you were in your other car? It was OH's turn to drive so I wasn't paying attention and it also depends if it was pre or post my Zumba class :)

I don't have any specific problems with my skin as far as I'm aware, but I just wondered if they did a general programme of check ups, but perhaps not. The Dr did say I'd be called for a smear test next year so it seems to be every 3 years for that. Have to say I am quite impressed so far with the NHS here and of course all the money I am now saving by not having to pay privately. It is a relief to be covered.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:15 pm

The will give you a PSA test when you have your next regular blood test if you ask for it.

Sid

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:24 pm

We see notices at the Centro de Salud for mammography screening, etc but have never been offered anything in the way of screening for my OH or I. However, if you ask for a general wellness survey - blood (including the new prostate blood marker test) and urine, or other screening procedures (smear, mamography, dermatologist appointment), the GP goes ahead and does it for you. It may well be that once onto a screening list (like the regular mammography service) that you get recalled but in general it seems here that if you want something doing, it is up to you to suggest, and then they swing into action. We are in Huelva provincia so may be slightly less pro-active than on the CDS!

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:26 pm

Probably post as you were heading home. I was in the best car, don't know why really as it's been anonymously bashed three times in Mucky's car park so far.
SM thinks that the smear check is far better than in the UK, she gets a gynaecologist and a proper positioning chair if you know what I mean.

We are quite happy with the NHS here compared.

There you go Mrs W you can get a PSA test too :)

truebrit
Resident

Postby truebrit » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:08 pm

I have just been for a Mammogram(I think my last because it stops at 69). I had received a notification and appointment Usually it is to attend the Hospital Comarcal but this time much better as it was in one of their screening vans in Velez itself. I was quite surprised when I asked the nurse if most people took up their appointments and she showed me a bundle of papers and said no. They didnt even bother to cancel their appointments. She was taking the trouble to ring them all. I am very impressed. I have been here for 17 years and have regularly been sent appointments.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:43 pm

OH was on the mammogram program in Spain, don't remember how it came about but know she never specifically requested to be. Other than that, no smear tests ever offered, not prostate tests for me... I'm sure if we had asked they would have obliged, but we're not the kind of people to ask for these things - unless we feel ill, we avoid doctors & hospitals if at all possible. The last time I saw my GP in Spain, I did mention to him about some weight loss, which he somewhat halfheartedly attributed "probably" to medication he had prescribed three months previously for an under-active thyroid.
Registering with a GP back in the UK, we were given routine blood tests followed by a consultation with the GP, but when I mentioned the weight loss he immediately requested further blood tests, including checking PSA levels - which turned out to be slightly high, so he immediately examined my prostate, and I am being referred for further investigation.
If we weren't new patients to the surgery, I guess I may not have been offered a prostate check - no idea, but I certainly wasn't offered it in Spain.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:52 pm

There is much controversy about the benefits of a PSA test. Generally UK doctors are not in favour of it, but in Spain they don't have the same attitude. If you want it, you just ask for it. If you have urinary tract problems they will almost certainly suggest it.

Sid

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:10 pm

Yes, just read about it on the NHS website, and there is no screening program in the UK due to the controversy
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

truebrit
Resident

Postby truebrit » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:28 am

Just got the Sur in English and there is an article stating that local gps in Public Health centres will soon be able to ask for a whole range of additional diagnostic tests. These include X Rays, Cat Scans MRI scans cardiac echos detailed blood analysis and others. Maybe this will now make these tests more accessible to all of us on the public health system. This is due to be rolled out by the middle of September

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:03 am

truebrit wrote:I have just been for a Mammogram(I think my last because it stops at 69). I had received a notification and appointment Usually it is to attend the Hospital Comarcal but this time much better as it was in one of their screening vans in Velez itself. I was quite surprised when I asked the nurse if most people took up their appointments and she showed me a bundle of papers and said no. They didnt even bother to cancel their appointments. She was taking the trouble to ring them all. I am very impressed. I have been here for 17 years and have regularly been sent appointments.
Yes that's where I have just been on Weds evening. Very impressed with the service. I got a phone call in the morning to remind me to go and whilst I was there the girl on the desk was phoning up all the people on the list for the next day. It was after initially seeing my Dr for the first time that he asked about my previous tests and so put me on the programme. It does seem that you have to ask for them but then they will go ahead and do them as necessary.

Re the PSA, I have also been reading up about that and apparently it is not really very good at providing a true or accurate diagnosis. There are newer tests that can identify a true prostate cancer more accurately and saves unnecessary biopsies, so that looks like the thing to ask for if it's available here.

truebrit
Resident

Postby truebrit » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:09 am

I didnt ask my doctor but when I applied for my Tarjeta Seisenta y Cinco the appointments started coming in every two years. Im not sure but now that I am 69 I think the tests finish.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:23 am

For PSA just get your local clinic to do a blood test. I now have mine checked every 3 months in the village NHS. If you're worried get it tested at a private clinic as a blood test is only a few euros.
Regards

Bob

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:37 am

Wicksey wrote:
truebrit wrote:
Re the PSA, I have also been reading up about that and apparently it is not really very good at providing a true or accurate diagnosis. There are newer tests that can identify a true prostate cancer more accurately and saves unnecessary biopsies, so that looks like the thing to ask for if it's available here.
Not strictly true as you can have a high PSA and not have cancer, but you cannot have cancer and a low psa. Essentially of you have low PSA you don't have cancer, but if you have a high PSA further investigation is needed, and not necessarily straight to biopsy.

I can't stress enough how important it is to get checked. At 59 I had my PSA added to an annual blood test. It was high. Further investigation showed that in had won the cancer lottery. At no time did I have any physical symptoms indicating that I had cancer, so just because everything down there works normally don't assume you are clear. Get tested because if caught early prostate cancer is entirely curable. Been there got the t shirt.

But you are right in that there are also newer diagnostics to detect the presence of a tumour or not.
Regards

Bob

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:20 am

I have found a number of medical journal articles that state this below regarding the PSA (which I am asking about on behalf of my OH). Quite a few friends have had it prostate cancer and are OK now after the treatment .... it's just another screening test to think about (along with my own battery of tests) as we are both getting older :(

"Misleading results. The test doesn't always provide an accurate result. An elevated PSA level doesn't necessarily mean you have cancer. And many men diagnosed with prostate cancer have a normal PSA level."

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:03 pm

Wicksey wrote:I have found a number of medical journal articles that state this below regarding the PSA (which I am asking about on behalf of my OH). Quite a few friends have had it prostate cancer and are OK now after the treatment .... it's just another screening test to think about (along with my own battery of tests) as we are both getting older :(

"Misleading results. The test doesn't always provide an accurate result. An elevated PSA level doesn't necessarily mean you have cancer. And many men diagnosed with prostate cancer have a normal PSA level."
Happy to be corrected on that one. But is is still the best shot we have at being simply diagnosed. The PCA3 urine test has yet to be confirmed as reliable and it seems is not yet easily available according to Cancer Research UK.

Of course there are various scans (PET, CAT, MRI, Ultrasound) you can have which show the presence of a tumour. Think I had all of them over my journey from diagnosis to treatment.
Regards

Bob

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:07 pm

casita-bonita wrote:
Of course there are various scans (PET, CAT, MRI, Ultrasound) you can have which show the presence of a tumour. Think I had all of them over my journey from diagnosis to treatment.
I'm glad to hear that you are now OK after your treatment. The main concern previously for us was not being covered for any possible ills, but now we are it's a great relief.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:32 pm

Wicksey wrote:
I'm glad to hear that you are now OK after your treatment. The main concern previously for us was not being covered for any possible ills, but now we are it's a great relief.
Ultimately the treatment was a piece of cake. After countless hours of research I opted for HIFU, which is not very common in Spain. I found only a handful of clinics that performed it, settling on one in Madrid. Walked in to the hospital in the morning, treated, walked out 8 hours later, went out for dinner in the evening and drove back to Sayalonga the following day.

Two weeks later as I was peeing normally my suprapubic catheter was removed by the local nurse. Literally 2 seconds to pull it out and stick a plaster over the hole. 1 week after that normal relations resumed (nudge nudge, say no more)

The only painful/uncomfortable part of the whole procedure was when the nurse pulled the sticking plaster that held the cannula in place off my hairy arm. No word of a lie.

Couldn't have wished for a better Urologist, clinic or medical team.

More than happy to talk to anyone who is starting this journey.
Regards

Bob

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:27 pm

You can get your blood tested at any farmacia that offer the service.

PSA costs 20 euros for example, cholestrol just a few euros. Results come back about a week later indicating acceptable range and result.

Had my bloods tested at the doctors recently and he said get ecg done next door (nurse). 15 mins later and he analysed the result. I was there for less than an hour. Couldnt help smiling as i suspect that would have been three appointments in UK.

Neither of us have been offered any screening. I asked about bowel cancer ( stool screen) and he said any history in family. No, none. Not necessary then!