Vuelta 2017

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Vuelta 2017

Postby Wicksey » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:37 am

They do shut the roads probably at least 20 mins before they come through so we've always got into position in good time.

We watched it in 2014 from the Eroski petrol station area, and then the next time we were on the middle section of the road opposite Dunnes/Worten area. If you get near to a roundabout on the flat sections you may get a better view .... in 2014 they went by inches from me as I sat on the barrier by the side of the road just as they approached the big roundabout by the motorway.

We've been watching it daily on TV and the towns are pretty well attended and the mountains are as crowded as they are on the Tour de France. It's on tdp Spanish TV in the afternoons but they tend not to show the finish ... I guess the pay channels have it! Then we watch the ITV4 programme on catchup the next day as well.

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:53 pm

Wicksey - they start on TDP - Tele-Deportes - sometimes the whole stage if an important one - and then go to TV1 about 4pm, then back to TDP for the Podium. Today and yesterday it is starting at 2.45 for the round-up and interviews etc, with live coverage from 3.00pm. You just have to be ready with the telecommand to swap channels.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:08 pm

Do you mean LA1 channel? For some reason we cannot get it here (or LA2). We have been having trouble with all the channels this past week or so, but then so has a neighbour further up the hill so not just us. We have been meaning to try a booster for the aerial but haven't got around to it. We cannot see any aerial masts from our house so maybe we just can't pick it up.

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:44 pm

TVE1 as in Television de España ... it is sometimes our first channel to go off too if there are problems - you must be on the limit of the reception area. Check which direction nearest neighbours point their terrestrial telly ariel ... you may have to redirect it but that might make a mess of your other channels. Try also a re-download of all your channels (in the Main Menu of your tellycommand) as it might need refreshing? There is usually a choice of normal or HD - see if you can get one if not the other ...
Excellent finish today with Alaphillipe doing great things for QuickStep and Froome and Contador making progress on the rest of the GC bunch, though I dont really think Contador has much of a chance, but it did get the commentators excited!!!

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:24 am

Is it on the same time every year?
I missed it by a couple of days a few years ago as it had left Andalucia.
Not really big into it but like to plan a trip when its on if i can...

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:54 am

When I could last receive that channel it was called LA1 but yes, it is the TVE1 channel now. We don't have any neighbours on a level with us and a couple of other Spanish weekend places have got their aerials pointed over the hill as they are much further up the hillside to us. We are out of their reception area I think in this valley, but never mind. We caught the programme later on tdp which showed all the end of the day's race plus I have it on ITV4 catch-up. Looking forward to seeing them fly by on Thursday so hope it's not raining!

Woollie I think it's around the same time each year. If you just Google Vuelta and the year there'll be loads of info but I always use this site when it's on
http://www.lavuelta.com/la-vuelta/2017/us/

Just looked and next year it will start in Malaga on 25 August!

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:40 pm

We will be viewing from Puerto del Leon. Cat 1 climb.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:16 pm

I also follow the daily live text on CyclingNews La Vuelta (google it) which helps with some of the bits of spanish I miss when Pedrico and the Soup-Dragon (Carlos) are wittering. Also with the text they do often chip in with bits that are not covered by the TV commentary.
Incidentally, I do think that this year they are managing to make it more interesting with the helicopter featuring more places the route passes through than in previous years. In previous years it seemed to be just the race, the race and more close-ups of the race. This year it is much more like the Tour where you get a real feel of the places and geography/history of the surrounding areas.

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:17 pm

By the way it is day-off today so no coverage - back again fully rested (!!!!!) tomorrow.

Flashman
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Flashman » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:36 pm

sorry for the late follow up but just wanted to say thanks for the info and suggestions. we got parked up early afternoon outside a couple of restaurants and had a lazy lunch before watching the riders come down. they then returned uphill as part of the last climb of the day. fabulous atmosphere.
also saw them set off from Motril a few days earlier...

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:14 pm

Glad you enjoyed the spectacle Flashman. be here next August to see the grand start in Malaga!

Whilst on the subject, I did manage to watch it on LA1 channel through the red button on TDP. Not sure if it's linked to the wifi as we have a Smart TV, but the option of a red button comes up on TDP and then through that menu we could watch LA1.

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:14 pm

Good to hear that you had a good day Flashman
Wicksey - the joys of Modern Technology!!!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:38 am

Gasman wrote: Wicksey - the joys of Modern Technology!!!
Sometimes ... when it's all working :crazy: I do seem to spend a lot of time these days on computers, Smartphones, TV etc but we are pleased with the Smart TV and what it can do.