Price of paracetemol in Spain

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Re: Price of paracetemol in Spain

Postby Pamela1 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:47 am

Agree, its crazy..Doctors should be held more accountable regarding meds, I too have heard and also know of people including family member's where the meds are just dished out on repeat prescription without further consultation or assessments..Docs should be made more accountable, a friends mother ended up dying from kidney failure and he discovered she had been on the same tablet for many years without any assessments, the side effect of the tablet was that if taken for long periods of time could be harmful to the kidneys...
I also think perhaps people should take more attention to what they have been prescribed and read the info and that way they can flag up any concerns and bring to the attention of the doctor but having said that most people have a sense of trust that everything is fine and fail to question anything because the doc should know best..

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:46 pm

I was recently prescribed some cream, and as usual, I read the leaflet. To my surprise one of the 'do not use' list was exactly the condition it was prescribed for :-( I checked with the GP & was told to ignore the leaflet !!!! Fingers crossed she knows what she's talking about ;-)
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:17 pm

olive wrote:We havent bought any paracetamol for years. We inherited enough to last us a 1000 years when an uncle in law died. The cupboard was stuffed with repeat prescriptions that werent ever used just put away by carers. That is certainly an area of the NHS that needs reviewing.

My elderly ,very mobile dad suffers from a painful but thankfully only occasional foot problem . At one stage his doctor prescribed taking EIGHT 500 mg paracetamols in order to get off to sleep. As soon as I found out I advised him against for the liver failure reason cited above. I thought it must have been a mistake but my brother actually saw the paperwork. When I stayed with him next, i suggested he wore slippers after showering and before bed as that was the only time he wasnt supporting his arches. That has reduced the occurrence and a solpadene usually does the trick.
8 tablets is the maximum dose per day, I am surprised the pharmacist didn't pick up on it. I would report it.

With regard to all the herbal stuff and complimentary medicines people waste their money on I did notice on some pain killers given to OH that it said to beware of taking Herbal stuff etc. as most were untested and it is not known how they will react.

Repeat prescriptions here give the date of the next review.

really surprised they sell T/dol over the counter in Spain, does that apply to all farmacias?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:24 pm

** is a seriously addictive drug and banned in some countries. Also if it turns up in a roadside drug test, without a prescription, you will be in big trouble. I agree, it’s amazing that it is OTC but that may just be lax control by the pharmacist, bearing in mind that they are not supposed to give antibiotics without a scrip and they frequently do.

Sid

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:03 am

Pamela1 wrote:Agree, its crazy..Doctors should be held more accountable regarding meds, I too have heard and also know of people including family member's where the meds are just dished out on repeat prescription without further consultation or assessments..Docs should be made more accountable, a friends mother ended up dying from kidney failure and he discovered she had been on the same tablet for many years without any assessments, the side effect of the tablet was that if taken for long periods of time could be harmful to the kidneys...
I also think perhaps people should take more attention to what they have been prescribed and read the info and that way they can flag up any concerns and bring to the attention of the doctor but having said that most people have a sense of trust that everything is fine and fail to question anything because the doc should know best..

Totally agree on both.in the uk drs are given a god like status and of someone died through what you mentioned it would prob be covered up anyway..the looks i used to get when i actually went into see them with abit of researched knowledge. I always like to read the instructions especially in spanish!. Mind you if you do read all the contra indications i dont think anyone would touch anything!

Flashman
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Flashman » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:20 pm

elusive wrote:
chrissiehope wrote:Most supermarkets in UK restrict the purchase of paracetemol & ibuprofen to a max of 2 packs (of approx 16 tabs) per person/purchase of either 2 the same or one of each
Yeah its the law Pretty stupid really .just go into the shop next door or back around ala morrisons gib. Pretty pointless

8 paracetamol?!!! Heck he would get off to sleep and prob not wake up. Heard some many stories of ppl getting hooked because drs over prescribed. A family member has been on anti depressents for something stupid like 20 years.dr never bothers to look at whether he actually needs them anymore and another ended up addicted to painkillers and had to take methodone after the dr kept giving them prescriptions.
this change was made to try and cut down on paracetamol overdoses. the thinking being that people would usually not have enough in the house to be fatal when they made their desperate alcohol fuelled decision late at night... and it's worked. deaths by paracetamol have greatly reduced. it's also a particularly nasty and very sad way to go as most people used to wake up with terminal irreversible liver failure and die horribly having inevitably changed their mind about what induced their suicide in the first place

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:07 pm

Yeah good point. But not much use if you just decide to go out and buy loads to do the deed there and then

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:46 am

I take Tablets for type 2 diabetes, blood pressure and statins, I've found them all to be cheaper from the Spanish pharmacy (Gran Canaria) than the UK, and I can get them without prescription.