New Indian Restaurant, Torrox Costa

What are your favourite Restaurants and Bars? Share the recommendation with the forum!
Free at Last
Resident

Re: New Indian Restaurant, Torrox Costa

Postby Free at Last » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:12 pm

Lyric wrote:We also do Thai and I recall there was a debate about the two on the main drag in TdM they are on either side of the road near the Police but I didn't know which was judged the better. Same side as the Police then we will give it a try on one of our monthly outings.
Yes, I remember that one! The other option is the Bhua Luang on the opposite side of the road - I don't know that either could be said to have been judged the better, as you said it is very much down to personal preference. But my vote went to Siam!

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:18 pm

El Cid wrote:
Overall pretty much on a par with the Torrox Taj but for the same amount of food slightly more expensive - but hardly surprising as the Taj has the €12 eat all you can menu.

Excellent coffee - the Taj is so bad we never order it now. Free liqueurs, the brandy was warmed with a serviette and saucer on top to keep it warm - nice touch.

Overall impression - perfectly OK but very much like all the others and not a patch on similar restaurants in the UK. Far better than some of the early Internet reports would suggest.

Now, what's the best, in your opinion, Chinese/Asian in the area?

Sid
We always like to try out new Indian restaurants and now we are back from vacation were planning to visit the Koh-i-nor. But if the opinion is that they are on par with the Taj in Torrox than maybe we shouldn't bother and stick with our favourite in Nerja, the Jaipur. Who I have to say serve dishes that are up there with the best we had on our trip to India last year. The chef specials are awesome and freshly prepared.

My Asian recommendation would be Bhua Lang Thai in Torre for Thai..

If Chinese is your fancy then the one in Algarobbo Costa, Feng maybe, can be good once you have paid them a few visits and know what dishes to choose. Often you have to ask then to make them hotter as even those with a few chillis on the menu can be a little bland. Not expensive either.

Or of course Asian Bens in Torrox and Nerja is always pretty good.
Regards

Bob

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:55 am

Just thought it right to add to this Asian food thread after our recent visit.

We seldom use Indian/Chinese restaurants whilst over there, the reason being (especially regarding Chinese food) is that we have both Manchester and Liverpool China towns within half an hours drive and nothing else really lives up to them, our visits to Spanish Chinese places are always a let down.

However this year we did for some reason give Jings (as mentioned by another poster) a try.

I have to say it bucked the trend. Prices were very fair for both quality and portion size and the staff were spot on. Tables and cutlery etc. were spotless and even the Chinese beers were not priced stupidly as they sometimes are.

The crispy chicken which they class as Thai style (as it comes with a bowl of sauce separate) was simply brilliant.............and I have to admit it would not be out of place in China town such was its taste and presentation. It is basically a couple of breasts, beautifuly marinated then roasted/deep fried and sliced wafer thin. OH ordered it by default in all honesty, it was so good she was reluctant to do "swapsies" for my crispy chili beef :mrgreen: Sauce was not up to much but it made no difference as the chicken was so good.

That meant I had to go back the next week for my own portion!!!
The chow mein noodles were great too.

Only thing is be careful if you order the mixed starters for two............it's massive and almost stuffed us on the first visit.

Well outclassed a couple of the supposedly "fine dining" places we payed through the nose for on our mini break we took in Nerja last week..............jeez you need to be careful there.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:27 pm

After a lot of good and bad reviews about the Kohinoor we decided to try it out ourselves at the weekend. Had a takeaway and the flavours were good but we had asked for it all to be mild and my biryani was so hot I couldn't eat it. A couple of dishes were also very oily, but the overall flavours were very good with lots of fresh spices and chunky fresh veg. (We have tried the Village Tandoori on the Costa twice now and although the starters were good, the main courses just didn't have the taste of any Indian spices (cumin, coriander, cardommon etc) and were disappointing.)

We tried the Jaipur menu del dia the other month and the bhajis were the best we've ever had here. Also had a takeaway from The Taste of India in Nerja .... not cheap but the biryani would have served two and the owner gave me a choice of curry sauces (rather than the brown gloopy one you normally get with a biryani) and I had a korma sauce with it which was delicious.

I always like a veg curry and have had them here made from frozen packet veg which is horrible. Also we like to 'test' the naans as to whether they are real ones cooked in the tandoor oven or not .... Kohinoor passed that test as well (and only a euro each). Will give them another go as long as they hold back on the chillies!

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:24 pm

As for Thai, we much prefer the Siam at Torre to Bhuan Lang. The food always tastes freshly cooked, and although the menu isn't huge, we've enjoyed what we have had.
Haven't found a knock out Chinese. Of those we've tried, Asian Ben's was the best, but the menus in them all are very similar. I agree with Sid about the standard being like 70's UK. We went in the Muralla (Chinese) on the market square in Torre Friday before last. Lots of restaurants were packed, but we were the only ones in there for the whole time we were in. Food was disappointing. Sauce on chicken satay starter was consistency of wallpaper paste.
Several people have recommended Jing's (?) at Algarrobo costa. We've only been in once, for menu del dia, which was OK for the price, but we're off to try one evening.
For Indian, we've tried Taj Mahal at Puente and Torre several times, and it's OK but again, not exceptional. We like fish curries, and they're hard to find here. We ate in Taste of India in Nerja last year, and that's been the best Indian meal we've had since Light of India moved away (1st time) from Torrox near the lighthouse. Don't understand how Light of India went from an a la carte, full every night, restaurant via an all you can eat buffet to sharing with the fish and chip shop to death. Why didn't they just leave it alone?

For Moroccan, try Bohemia in Velez Malaga, Pasaje Montero. Not all their Moroccan food is on the menu, just ask what there is
AlisonB

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:17 pm

Just as a matter of interest are the customers in the Indian and chinese restaurants predominantly English ,Spanish ,a mixture of the two or a European mix,ie Scandinavian,German as well as Spanish and English.
The only chinese restaurant i've been to in Spain was packed with Brits.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:35 pm

The Siam Thai in Torre del Mar, the Taj Mahal and the Koh-i-Noor in Torrox Costa all have customers from a variety of countries, including Spanish ones.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:39 pm

alisonb wrote:
For Moroccan, try Bohemia in Velez Malaga, Pasaje Montero. Not all their Moroccan food is on the menu, just ask what there is
Not Indian/Thai/Chinese, but have you tried either El Convento on C/Romero Pozo, or the newly re-opened La Posada del Conde on Plaza del Carmen (opposite the theatre) which has some Wok dishes on the menu, or the new Montera "gastrobar" on Pasaje Montero yet? Lots of new places seem to be opening up in Velez, which is good. All these places were absolutely heaving on Friday night, we couldn't get near any of them to try them out.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:50 pm

Thats good to know, sadly when I last visited Velez Malaga it was closed....quite literally and the only option was a rather tawdry looking kebab shop. Fingers crossed these new ventures get supported by locals and last longer than most seem to.

ebbnflow
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ebbnflow » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:53 pm

As for Thai, we much prefer the Siam at Torre to Bhuan Lang
Funny that, we find the exact opposite! The Bhua Luang is very true to the real flavours you get in Thailand and better value, leaving the Siam tasting rather bland or more "Chinesey" and more expensive. The new Yu Talay on the far end of Burriana beach is a nice compromise between the two and does some rather nice sushi.

We also tried the Kohinoor last week, nice flavours & reasonable size dishes, just lacking in spice despite requesting hot. Again on the Taj Mahals, we also find the Torre and Venta Baja ones much better than Torrox, which we thought was "below par".

luckyjim
Resident

Postby luckyjim » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:55 pm

Save your money, try cooking your own.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:34 am

Lyric wrote:And while in Torrox Costa there is the Village Tandoori near Safari Bar, just off the Paseo. To our taste the best of the three.
Just thought I would throw it in the pot.
A while since I posted this however on Tuesday we revisited, I had some really good news and we felt that we could afford, for a change, to eat out. We toyed with one of the Thai places in TdM but settled for the short drive and the devil we thought we knew.

It has changed hands.

We should have walked at the door, something not right, but always been good so in we go. We were treated to possibly the worst food we have ever had of any ethnicity. Floating in ghee, masses of salt, we gave up.

Even the sin alcohol was warm.

Didn't pay, not going back, suggest you don't either

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:57 am

Unfortunately that is something that happens all too often.
You find a place you like, it changes it's chef/ owners or whatever and is not as good as it was.
The reverse is also true a cr*p place can change into a good one.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

luckyjim
Resident

Postby luckyjim » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:11 am

We always work on the premise that it was just one of those things and give them a second go. On many occasions it had drastically improved so worth a go.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:26 am

Both my wife and I are excellent cooks and we look upon it as a chore when people invite us out to dinner (and they do believe it or not, probably more because of my wife than me :roll: ) and we can't wait to get home to have a decent meal.
Let's go Brandon!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:48 am

I must admit we never were really taken by the Village Tandoori although we did give them a second try. The standard of the restaurant was good and the starters were nice but the main courses were disappointing, but not inedible as it seems now.

We do try out new restaurants if they're not too expensive, but I find I can cook most things at home (perhaps not up to Beachcomer's standard :lol:) plus we can both have a drink, so we don't often eat out these days. I particularly don't eat out in August when everything is so busy, there are flies everywhere and I think the standards drop.

Don't know if anyone has been to the Koh i Noor lately on Torrox Costa. We had a nice takeaway but although we asked for it to be mild it was far too spicy for us, but the flavours and the naan bread were otherwise very good.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:56 am

Wicksey wrote: Don't know if anyone has been to the Koh i Noor lately on Torrox Costa. We had a nice takeaway but although we asked for it to be mild it was far too spicy for us, but the flavours and the naan bread were otherwise very good.
Yes we have but this illustrates another thing about peoples views of restaurants.
A lot is down to personal taste.
Wicksey finds the food far too spicy, I only find it medium but it is OK for me.
My elder son would find it extremely bland, he likes his food extremely hot, by my taste. He's been known to eat a whole raw scotch bonnet.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:35 pm

Chilies seem to be in everything these days which we don't like (giving up watching Jamie O's progs as he puts chili or cayenne into almost everything to give it a bit of 'attitude'). I bought some tomato chutney the other week and found it was really hot, but no warning of it on the label.

Koh i Noor did have good flavouring though .... heat aside ..... that's what we found was lacking in the Village Tandoor mains. It's just that as we asked for things to be mild (no chili) we were a bit put out that some vegetable dishes were mouth-numbing hot. Gerry your son must have a lead-lined mouth to eat a raw scotch bonnet - the tiniest bit of raw ordinary chili makes my mouth swell up and my eyes water.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:41 pm

Wicksey wrote: Gerry your son must have a lead-lined mouth to eat a raw scotch bonnet - the tiniest bit of raw ordinary chili makes my mouth swell up and my eyes water.
He's also been known to drink a full bottle of Black Absinthe. He said after he drunk it he didn't remember anything about it until he woke up later the next day. :crazy:
By the way the younger son is relatively normal.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:19 am

Make your own. Go to http://www.route79.com/food/

Scroll down and try out the lamb Rogan josh (or substitute chicken if you wish)
All the spices are readily available at weekly markets.
Dave