New Indian Restaurant, Torrox Costa

What are your favourite Restaurants and Bars? Share the recommendation with the forum!
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: New Indian Restaurant, Torrox Costa

Postby Wicksey » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:17 pm

Mowser wrote:Make your own. Go to http://www.route79.com/food/
I do and have made my own bhajis and samosas as well but it is a bit of a fiddle. Lidl had 'Asian week' earlier this week and they had a huge selection of things - puppodums, naan breads, frozen bhajis and samosas, plus sauces (delicious korma) and even lassi drinks to finish. I just had to make my own veggie curry dish and some raita, and we put on a Bollywood CD and had an Indian feast the other night :lol:

luckyjim
Resident

Postby luckyjim » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:06 pm

I agree with you el CID. It's well known that all indian restaurants have 1 base sauce, usually meat based for the flavour and they then build different dishes from there. It is the skill of the chef with his added ingredients, all dishes start out the same.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:46 pm

It's inevitable really, especially at the low prices people want to pay.

To have an individual recipe for all the various dishes would be very time consuming and expensive and almost impossible without far more chefs than most Indian restaurants can afford to employ.

It's not dissimilar in many Chinese/Asian restaurants for the same reason.

If you want authentic Asian food it is usually a case of paying a load of money (and there aren't many good Asian restaurants down here) or just cooking it yourself, which isn't difficult.

Sid

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:05 pm

Does it really matter if the restaurant/ food is not totally authentic?
The important thing is that, surely, you enjoy the food and the company of those you eat it with?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:07 pm

Most Chinese restaurants buy their meals in from a central preparation factory. How else could they offer such extensive menus with a small kitchen and small number of clients. They are just warmed up in those foil dishes with the cardboard lids. El Pais once did an article about a Madrid factory serving most of Spain's Chinese eateries. I suppose the same thing happens all over Europe.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:20 pm

gerryh wrote:Does it really matter if the restaurant/ food is not totally authentic?
The important thing is that, surely, you enjoy the food and the company of those you eat it with?
Cheers
Gerry
It depends what you expect. If you go to a restaurant that offers a classic Chinese dish that ends up not remotely like it should be, then I don't find that acceptable any more than I would in an English restaurant that couldn't cook a Shepherds pie properly.

It may taste all right but that's not the point as far as I am concerned.

Sid

luckyjim
Resident

Postby luckyjim » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:43 pm

Ok for most of us but if you are vegetarian and think you are getting the real thing you could be quite upset about the whole experience and make you think twice about ethnic restaurants.