MOVING TO SPAIN IN 2008

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
sallyanne

MOVING TO SPAIN IN 2008

Postby sallyanne » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:21 pm

Dear Anyone who wants to write to me,
We, as a family, myself, husband, mother and my son (15 this year) will be moving to Andalucia next year. We are looking at Duquesa and Estepona region. If anyone could shed some light on the first thing I should get organised I would be grateful.
First of all we are renting, long term property, will come over sometime this year to have a look around. Wanted to know about residency, when should I apply etc. I will probably be employed in Gibraltar. My mother is 70 therefore retired, but wants to know about medical system.
Do we need to register with local doctors before we move out?
Do we need to get a Spanish bank account?

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:28 pm

Hi Sallyanne,

I am far from a expert on the subject but I can tell you what I have done so far (we are moving within the next year hopefully).

We have got our NIE numbers (social security) already. You can do this at your local Spanish Consulate, just go onto www.mir.es to find out what forms you need and to download the forms. Or you can do it at a police station in Spain.

We opend a bank account on line which turned out to be more trouble than it was worth as paperwork has been going backwards and forwards for over a month now and it still isn't sorted, better to go in person!

As far as I know you have to wait until you have proof of living in Spain before you can apply for Residencia (rental contract etc).

Again I am not sure but I think you have to register for schools around March time for them to start in September. They are obliged to find a school for your child whatever time of year it is but it may not be in the area where you are living.

I think if your mum is receiving state pension she will be entitled to NHS care but I've heard it is always best to get private insurance too.

Hope this helps, Im sure it will be corrected by someone if I have given you any wrong info,

Good luck, Diana :shock:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:50 pm

From Euro Weekly News.

EU citizens who arrived in spain on or after Jan 29 2006 will NOT have to apply for a resident card. The resident card is to be replaced with an up-dated version of an extract form the electoral register which must be issued free of charge by the town hall. more info' can be found on
www.ukgovabusesexpats.co.uk

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:56 pm

What is your son going to do? Have you discussed it with him and does he have an idea of what he will be getting in to?
Grouser

Megan
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Megan » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:00 pm

When you have made the move, Sallyanne, don't forget to get your driving licences exchanged :)
Meg - Sunny by nature

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:02 pm

Meg how do you do that?

That was going to be my next line of enquiry :?

Diana.

Megan
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Megan » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:05 pm

I don't know, Diana, never had to do it. I'm not a resident, just a frequent visitor. Could ask family members who have done it, but I'm sure someone else will post the answer for you quicker than I could find out :)
Meg - Sunny by nature

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Re: MOVING TO SPAIN IN 2008

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:04 pm

sallyanne wrote: My mother is 70 therefore retired, but wants to know about medical system.
Do we need to register with local doctors before we move out?
You and your family will have no cover under the Spanish health system until you have sorted your job, and are paying into the social security system. The earner(s) then can register the other family dependents as "theirs", to get them covered. Your mother, as a pensioner, will qualify for cover and should obtain the E121 before leaving the UK, then register that with the area health office (eg in Malaga, or Velez-Malaga etc, not a village. This will take some time, so it may be best for all of you to take out private health cover - it would be no fun being ill and having to argue about whether you are covered. You could of course just produce your EHIC (has replaced the E111) and say you are here on holiday, but medical practices will not register you on these - it is meant to be for emergency cover for holidaymakers and they are tightening up on abuse of this.
One thing not to forget is to have a Spanish will done - in the event of the unthinkable, you could be in a very tricky mess without one.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:13 pm

peteroldracer wrote:You and your family will have no cover under the Spanish health system until you have sorted your job, and are paying into the social security system. The earner(s) then can register the other family dependents as "theirs", to get them covered.
Sally Anne says she will probably be working in Gibraltar so I imagine different rules and regs will apply to her and her family?
Last edited by hillybilly on Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:31 pm

katy wrote:From Euro Weekly News.

EU citizens who arrived in spain on or after Jan 29 2006 will NOT have to apply for a resident card. The resident card is to be replaced with an up-dated version of an extract form the electoral register which must be issued free of charge by the town hall. more info' can be found on
www.ukgovabusesexpats.co.uk
Once again these idiots are talking rubbish.

Just because the EU have issued a directive (which Spain already conforms to in 99% of its detail) does not mean that Spanish law regarding residencia has changed.

It is still a requirement for all persons without a social security number - ie. retired or non working ex-pats who live permanently in Spain.

On the other hand, no one is likely to get arrested for not applying for residencia!

Sid

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:15 am

hillybilly wrote: Sally Anne says she will probably be working in Gibraltar so I imagine different rules and regs will apply to her and her family?
Quite right hilly - , but they will be living in Spain, so the mum will be OK and them not? Still think private cover the safe bet.
Hope they read up on all the stuff about cars, and don't even think about bringing a Brit one! :wink: :wink:

sallyanne

Postby sallyanne » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:27 am

Hi everyone,
Thanks for your comments. I will try the British Expats Association and see what advice they have. So according to your postings I would be covered and my family when I find work, even if this is in Gibraltar? E121,can this be sent off to health office in Malaga before we go out to live? Me and my husband will go out first and sort all these matters out before she finally comes out anyway. :)
About cars, we will sell ours before we go, but how easy is it to buy a car out in Spain and can anyone tell me about car tax, insurance etc.

sallyanne

Reply for Dido 72,

Postby sallyanne » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:32 am

www.mir.es
Tried to see the forms to download re residency, its all in Spanish isn't it?
What am I looking for on the site? Is there an English part? Let me know.

MANDERS
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby MANDERS » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:16 pm

Sallyanne,

If you PM me your email address I will send you copies of the forms needed for both NIE and Residencia.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:22 pm

sallyanne wrote:So according to your postings I would be covered and my family when I find work, even if this is in Gibraltar?
Look again, sallyanne, this is not what I said - if you are paying into the Spanish social security system you will be covered.
If you have a job lined up in Gib, why not ask your prospective employer what the rules are?
Re cars: insurance is similar to UK in cost, but no annual no-claims discount. Be aware that the most common insurance taken by the locals is third party (no fire & theft even) - you have to push for a quote for full comp. Secondhand car prices are high here, but value of a s/hand Brit car is so low it is worth the extra to go Spanish IMHO. Road tax is lower than UK, and levied by your local government every May - with penalties for late payment. Your bank will do a standing order for this, and for your IBI (local rates) - we have found at no charge if they are the approved bank for your town hall (ayuntamiento).
I think you need to start reading some good books on it all - am sure that some of the Gurus here can recommend some?

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:33 pm

I think reading some books about living in Spain is essential. They give you a general idea of what to expect.

I recommend "Living and Working in Spain" by David Hampshire. Published by Survival Books www.survivalbooks.net

Also, "Foreigners in Spain:Triumphs & Disasters" Real-life stories from expats in Spain, edited by Graeme Chesters also published by Survival Books.

In regard to social security, if you are employed in Gibraltar your payments will be into the Gib system and therefore you will be covered by their system. Whether that extends to the rest of your family is another matter especially if you are not resident in Gibraltar. Clearly you need to explore this aspect further. I guess that working in Gibraltar will influence where in Spain you chose to live given daily commuting etc.

pdellis
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pdellis » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:16 pm

If you have a history of NI payments in the UK, you may be covered for a certain period with regards to the equivelant of the NHS. For example, my wife & I contacted the DWP in the UK before moving over and were told (with documents to confirm) we were covered until Jan 2009. Since being here, this has proved correct.

My parents are both here and with the exception of DLA (Disability Living Allowance) receive their equivelant pensions (paid from the UK direct into their Spanish Bank in euros), wintwer fuel allowance etc is also paid

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:12 am

pdellis wrote:wintwer fuel allowance etc is also paid
Only if you have been in receipt of it before you left the UK........

Mixter
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mixter » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:31 am

The 'private medical ins' reffered to....is it like 'bupa' etc in the UK - with premiums to match, or something totaly different?

MANDERS
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby MANDERS » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:44 am

It is virtually the same as in the UK but, from my experience, more expensive. Mine is through the Unicaja and costs 230 Euros a month for the two of us. Anyone have any knowledge of Private Medical Cover which is reasonably priced and effective? :?: