"Selling" your area to a newcomer

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

"Selling" your area to a newcomer

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:47 pm

If you were asked to "sell" your area to someone who was thinking of moving to Spain permanently or buying a holiday property, what would you say. You might also mention the short comings.

Us. Midway between San Pedro and Estepona.

Pluses:-

Estepona and San Ped are two nice places to mooch about in. (well, we like them.) Further afield are Banus, Marbella, Malaga and Gib. Inland are some lovely white villages. Plenty of infastucture. Beaches ok.

Minuses:-

Property prices relativley high. Community fees on the urbanisations can be high. Gets a bit hectic in August. Wouldn't want to live on an urbanisation full time.

Oviously, one man's fish is another man's poisson but I to get thought it might be interesting to get your thoughts.

Rick

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:16 pm

I would say that La Cala is a terrible place. Dirty, expensive, no facilities, terrible beach. The restaurants are the pits, the natives extremely unfriendly, and the expats are the very worst type.

On no account should anyone come and live here.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:18 pm

Apart from that, is it Fab? :lol:

Julie
Andalucia Guru

adra

Postby Julie » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:53 pm

Alan
I have to say Adra is worse than were you live, ALL BRITS TAKE NOTE
ADRA is not the place for you :wink: :D :D :D
Try a more tourist area, we are full up LOL :oops:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:03 pm

Yes, pull up the drawbridge, it really helps to keep that feeling of superiority when you keep other Brits out. :roll: I prefered it here about 10 years ago but you can't hold back progress can you :(

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:20 am

Alan - I would do the same for Benalmadea Pueblo - let's keep it just how we like it, keep the tattooed, shaven-headed, chips with everything brigade firmly away - tell them the Costa Blanca is the place to go.

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:14 am

Seems like there's a lot of like minded people here - we would all do our best to put people off, me included :D especially if they're British :oops:

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:37 pm

I don´t tend to have to sell "my" area - just invite people to stay and it seems to sell itself. The first friend who came to visit (in fact he came to help us move in) liked it so much he went home, sold an investment property he owned in England and promptly came back and bought himself a house less than 5 minutes´ walk from ours. And this is not a man known for his impulsive nature!

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:54 pm

Yes, your area is very appealing. Old friends of ours bough a ruined farm house on the road up towards Perriana. Made a fabulous job of the restoration. I believe there is now some sort of tramway running from Velez isn't there?

anewlife
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby anewlife » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:06 pm

We get visitors from Torrevieja looking at cave houses, but we try and put them off by saying they are dark, damp and not as warm as they say they are.

Of course they are not, but who wants riff raff in a nice little Spanish village????

See what you mean Alan about La Cala!!

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:37 pm

Oops, your description is spot on judging by the bit about cave houses in the Channel 4 programme, "Selling Houses Abroad" earlier this week. It will have put many buyers off contemplating such an investment!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:56 pm

The ones on TV were refurbished very nicely what was a bit off-putting was the barbed wire fencing around the area, I heard they had a Gipsy problem around that area (or Pikeys as Spanish Lad called them).

I don't understand why anyone would want to sell their area, unless they are an estate agent! Everyone has their perfect place for themselves otherwise they would move, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:31 pm

Team

I was only interested if knowing what you thought of your area, and what attracted you to it in the first place. I haven't got a load of people on my books waiting to buy up the best bits. Honest.

I wouldn't mind moving to another area. We bought our place on a whim, didn't research different areas like we should have etc etc. Having said that it's been lovely, and we are so lucky to have had the chance to do it.

anewlife
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby anewlife » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:37 pm

Yes it would have, Masterob, but not all cave houses are the same! My other half knew the people on the programme, it wasn't the fact that the cave was in disrepair at the time, it was the fact that SHE didn't like living here and wanted to move back to the UK, hence the cave being empty and unlived in for so long. No wonder it was like that! You can't buy a cave and not live in it and expect it to be perfect all year round. I think they were only here for 3 months...

Dealer
Resident

Postby Dealer » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:39 am

Duquesa:

Full of none Spanish speaking Brits! :cry:
Expensive imported beer including John Smith's :shock:
Mexican, Chinese and Indian restaurants no Spanish Tapas to be seen! :cry:
Dirty and full of unfriendly strangers! :cry:

Come to think of it it's just like home (London)! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"A soul afraid of dying will never live"

costapacket
Resident

Postby costapacket » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:04 pm

I agree with you Dealer and also there are some very dodgy geezers around and about looking PSF's................lock up your daughters :roll:

On second thoughts they are not that fussy, lock up your grannies too :lol:

Dealer
Resident

Postby Dealer » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:19 pm

Who on earth are you referring to? Image
"A soul afraid of dying will never live"

Rage

Postby Rage » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:02 pm

Agree with Dealer on that point Costa. I am hurt by that remark as I am sure Dealer, as an upstanding gentleman and pillar of society must also be!! :? :shock: :?
If you want to do something, do it or have regrets.

costapacket
Resident

Postby costapacket » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:04 pm

Well if the cap fits.....................if it doesn't you've nothing to be hurt about. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh sorry, how rude of me. It's your first post so welcome to the forum Rage. :D
Last edited by costapacket on Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:23 pm

Yes, Rick, the tranvia between Velez and Torre del Mar has been running since October 2006 and there are plans to extend the line to Rincon de la Victoria.