Places of Interest Estepona/San Pedro

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
bilbo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Places of Interest Estepona/San Pedro

Postby bilbo » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:48 am

Hi,

Moving to Estepona/San Pedro area in 3 weeks and although not completely sure of where exactly I shall be living, could anyone give me a few tips to :

Good bars and restaurants
Best supermarkets
Best shopping centres
Any other items of interest

If there are any good websites purely for this area, please let me know

Thanks in advance

lola2
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lola2 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:04 pm

The Manilva life forum is very good for the Estepona area. It has information on everything you are asking about. The moderators wont let me print the name of the website but it is just what I have mentioned plus .com :lol:

As for shopping centres La Canada is the one to head for, it is huge.
Is Dyslexia a problem for you? If so pm me.

bilbo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bilbo » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:44 pm

Thanks Lola,

Will give it a look :D

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:18 am

If you get withdrawal symptoms for fish and chips, try Peggoty's at El Paraiso.
Selwo Safari Park has just been upgraded and is well worth a whole day visit. They do not allow you to take your own food as some people have fed all sorts of stuff to the animals.
Estepona port has a mainly craft market on Sunday mornings, we usually get there about 10.00, sit and have coffee and tostada, then browse the market, and maybe have a tapa lunch.
Inland from you try Arcos De La Frontera and Castellar De La Frontera for a real taste of Spain.

bilbo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bilbo » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:59 pm

Thanks Alan,

So what do you recommend in the two places you mentioned.

Although it is always nice to know about 'home places' like good chippys etc, I am pleased to see you embracing the local culture as so many of us Ex-Pats seem to ignore this side to life in Spain.

And a lot of us are the first to criticise about the Polish etc coming into the UK and 'sticking to their own'.

A lot of mirrors appear to have been omitted from the Ex Pat communities shopping list - correct me if I'm wrong ??

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:22 am

Hi Bilbo. Arcos De La Frontera is a village balanced on the edge of a big drop down to the river valley. Look on this website under towns and cities for good information on the town. Castellar De La Frontera is on the same road from the coast running up to Ronda, you will see signs to the new village, which is new Spain, still low white buildings but a little antiseptic. Once there follow the signs pointing to the Castillo, at fist travel on the road fairly flat but soon you start to climb. On arriving if you can not park by the cafe/bar continue past and park on the side of the road and walk back a few yards to the small craft shop. Keep it on your right and walk up the cobbled path through the castle arch into the pueblo - there is a maze of narrow cobbled streets, tiny shops selling local crafts mainly, and great views out to Gibraltar and the surrounding countryside. We always see birds of prey flying, eagles, vultures, kites or buzzards, usually just a few but last time it must have been an Eagles outing, maybe 25 fling around.
It is Sunday morning and the brain is not functioning, perhaps the Soberano has taken over, but explain the mirrors - I am lost.

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:35 am

There is a good tourist office in San Pedro in the main street where the new excellent underground car park is.
Also a good one in Estepona just by the fountain on the sea front.