What made you pick your town.

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

What made you pick your town.

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:22 pm

This is a revamp of my post "selling your area" which didn't work.

So ....

A lot of us have settled or bought holiday homes in various places in Spain. With the whole of Spain to choose from, why did you pick that one

Megan
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Megan » Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:43 pm

Because friends and family were already there. Plus the area was nice and the Spanish friendly :) Wouldn't necessarily pick the same area now though, it's naturally changed a lot over the years and I preferred it how it was.
Meg - Sunny by nature

gretch
Resident

Postby gretch » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:08 pm

I like the way many aspects of the lifestyle is like going back in time 50 years or more
I like the old-fashioned community spirit.
I like not having to lock my doors when I go out.
I like it when anyone has repairs to do on their house; the entire village turns up to help, and when it’s finished the spontaneous party atmosphere when drink and tapas appear.
I like finding a bag or a bucket of fruit or veg’ outside my door when I come home.
I like it when my neighbours involve me in the ‘campo lifestyle’.
I like the clean mountain air, my partners asthma is hardly apparent.
I like walking out onto the patio after a shower and drying in the sun.
I like the fact that, every body knows every bodies business, therefore, no secrets and no snobbery
I like it when people don’t know, or care, what day it is.
I like the aroma from the wild herbs on the mountain on a warm day.
I like the fiesta here, although there are only four families live in the village,
I like the fact because of the altitude, summers aren’t as stiflingly hot as some other places.

I like it when we get snowed in, all the village come out and play, snowballing, making snowmen, sledging and skiing. Then I like coming home and drinking hot chocolate and brandy in front of a log fire.

I like the colour of the sky at dawn and dusk
I like the night sky when there isn’t a moon and being able to see the Milky Way with the naked eye
I like it when there is a good-sized moon; it’s almost like twilight.

I like the nearby market, buying fresh fruit and veg and olive oil etc.
I love the fact that we now have Internet access after 4½ of rankling with telefonica.

I nicked this lot from another forum, saves time and I agree with it!

I love sitting in a cafe people watching whilst dipping chorros into chocolate!
I love the way everyone who you don't know says hello to you even in a waiting room.
I love the way when you smile at people over here they smile back instead of thinking
you're a fruit cake.
I love seeing the "older generation" who aren't afraid to be sitting on their porch 'til all
hours.
I love to see farmers still using animals for work (the ones I have seen have been well
cared for)
I love knowing that there is major difference between standard of living & quality of life.
I love the sun
I love the warmth (But I also like the fact that it does get cold where we are in the
winter, so I also love my woodburner!)
I love the freedom that children are given to play out without constantly watching them
I love the diet especially the taste of the fresh fruit and veg
I love they way we have been welcomed by our neighbours
I love the way we spend so much more time together as a family
I love not having to arrange things according to the weather
I love the fiestas/festivals and dressing up for them
I love being so happy
I love most things which I guess is why I live here!

nevada smith

Postby nevada smith » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:13 pm

well said, gretch...

citymike
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: What made you pick your town.

Postby citymike » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:04 pm

Rick Gale wrote: A lot of us have settled or bought holiday homes in various places in Spain. With the whole of Spain to choose from, why did you pick that one
It was Juanita. The moment my eyes met hers it was lust. She was leaning against a lamp post in the town square eagerly eyeing up the fresh foreign meat. I gave her the intense look of a hungry stallion deeply on heat and she thrust her breasts at me pouting with her ruby red lips letting me know that her fruit was desperately waiting to be devoured at the hands of my pure wanton lust.

Our hips collided and then our faces encountered each other in stone faced silence daring the other to speak first. My lips encircled hers as if daring her to reject me. I knew she could not. I teased her until she involuntarily let out a gasp signalling that she had yielded completely but I tormented her with a slight brush of my bare forearm against hers before firmly clasping her and dragging her towards me letting our bodies merge as one. I kissed her, she melted.

And then we made love.

citymike
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby citymike » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:06 pm

Just in case you wondered, the beep refers to mummy's pillows.

Jeez, budding Mills and Boons novelists do not get much encouragement here!

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:12 pm

Great Gretch

Sounds great. Is that why you are keeping your location secret?

Go on give me a clue. I'll be your best friend

And City Mike. Love it Got any more little anecdotes like that?

Megan
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Megan » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:29 pm

citymike wrote:Just in case you wondered, the beep refers to mummy's pillows.

Jeez, budding Mills and Boons novelists do not get much encouragement here!
Citymike, just read your Juanita tale out to my nan over the phone. There was this long silence then she told me that she had never heard such filth before. :lol: As she is an avid Mills and Boons reader, think you may get rejected by them for being too raunchy :wink: :lol:
Meg - Sunny by nature

daisylou
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby daisylou » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:34 pm

It took us some time to find a village that had everything we wanted. We wanted to be no more than 2 hours away from La Linea (my husbands) daughter lives there and not too far from an airport.

As it turned out we are probably about 3 hours from La Linea and approx an hour from Malaga and we love our village :D

gretch
Resident

Postby gretch » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:04 pm

Rick Gale wrote:Great Gretch

Sounds great. Is that why you are keeping your location secret?

Go on give me a clue. I'll be your best friend

We live in northern Almeria in a place that is ‘top secret’. :wink:

If you are into quizzes and puzzles, you may be able to workout the name of our little village.

If you do solve my little puzzle, don’t tell anyone else, because we don’t want an ‘explosion’ of people looking around!

Good luck
gretch

Mixter
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mixter » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:48 pm

That sounds like a slice of heaven, Gretch. Id accept that without the bucket of fruit!! :wink:

Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:08 pm

Loved that Gretch as this sums up all that I was going to try and say and more, but you have said it all. BTW I am not that far from you :wink:

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:03 pm

It isn't a town or a village for a start.

I would go along with Gretch's items. The big thing for me was no barking DOGS at night - Ah the bliss. Of course given time that will change.

olive

polaris
Tourist

Good Lawyers

Postby polaris » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:39 pm

I'm sure it has been asked many times before, but just to be boring can any of you that have used a lawyer reccommend them .We are finally getting close to a finca purchase in the Ronda area. :wink:
Stop the world I want to get off!

Heston
Resident

why u picked ur village

Postby Heston » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:09 am

Gretch

Everything you siad was exactly the same for us....and we dont live anywhere near you..but have all of the above!!

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:55 am

Gretch agree with you entirely. Had no expectations on coming out here .We just liked the look of the valley when driving by on holiday! The longer I am here the better I like it.

Fred

SkyKal

Postby SkyKal » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:14 am

Our choice was purely logistical in the 1st instance - basing oursleves close enought to all things English in case of emergency and while we settle in/learn the language surrounded by NOT ONE English word as it happens! Give it one year when we hope to have a much better grasp of the Spanish Language then we hope to move further into 'real' Spain... I guess you could say we are using La Linea as a 'paddling pool' or stepping stone..... Despite what others on the Forum have said about the place - yes it's no oil painting - but we like it and will be happy to stay here for a bit. So much building work etc to revamp reminds us of where we lived back home lol!
Anything is Possible

toddcl
Resident

Postby toddcl » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:18 pm

We came for the weekend to have a look around.

We saw, we brought what we thought was a holiday home but on the way back to the UK we both said 'that's what we want.

What clinched it?

The way the little old ladies next door rub their whiskered faces against mine when greeting us.

The Kidd's in the street playing,

The people sitting outside and everyone greeting you.

The dogs barking in the night.

The friendliness of every one.

the chilled out way of life.

The honesty and warmth of the people.

It not being anywhere near the Costa Britt's

The lack of class distinction

The smiles and acceptance of Johny foreigner

The lack of concern about material things.
If you can't eat it, eat off of it, wear it or burn it then it has no use.

The old fashioned values of what you see is what you get and saying what you think.

Tolerance

Sunshine
Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated into the collective

heathxxx
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby heathxxx » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:16 pm

to quote toddcl...

"The lack of concern about material things.
If you can't eat it, eat off of it, wear it or burn it then it has no use"

:lol:

You need to meet one of the neighbours in our village in Granada...

... her back yard is like something out of Steptoe & Son!!

She's a lovelly lady, but only leave something by the bins for five minutes and she's there. She says it's all for her fince in the country, but having looked in the back yard with her, there's our old bath-shower mixer from when we did up the bathroom over a year ago, sat there amongst all the other clutter. Still, I'd love to have a look at this finca she keeps on about :wink:

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Mon May 21, 2007 10:10 am

Heathxxx your neighbour must be related to ours! We have just had building work done, anything lefty was whipped away fast!