Spiral Staircase

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
maggiebee
Tourist

Spiral Staircase

Postby maggiebee » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:41 am

Hi

I'm a new here but have been reading your helpful postings and hope you can help me.

We have seen a lovely village house which we hope to buy. Our only concern is that it has a spiral staircase. Do any of you have one in your home? How much of a problem is it? The kitchen is upstairs so would have to get shopping, gas etc up it. Also a bit concerned about moving in!

Look forward to your replies. Thank you.

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:19 am

We had one in a house in the UK and had to virtualy dismantle it to get any furniture upstairs, and even then we had to be very careful to buy small items only.
They look good and free up floor space, but they are a nightmare.
Hardworking resident !!

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:34 am

We have a rather tight spiral staircase from the living room to the roof terrace in our village house. It can be rather difficult bringing trays of stuff down from the terrace as you can't see where your feet are going, but it was the only practical solution to getting up there without taking up half the room space. It looks good too. However it is a restraint on what you can get up there, although the only problem with the gas would be muscle power. Do you have a large window you could get items of furniture through should you need to?
Grouser

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:38 pm

Had two spiral staircases in a three storey house in UK. They take up much less space and can look attractive but climbing up and down them, especially carrying things is a big disadvantage. Unless you have flat pack furniture or items that can be disassembled it´s impossible to get large furniture items up (or down) them. Fortunately the house had large sash windows and some furniture had to be hoisted up into the upper rooms.
Promised never again to have a spiral staircase! :(

maggiebee
Tourist

Postby maggiebee » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:35 pm

Thank you for your replies - I guess you have confirmed what I thought. Still, I love the house, so it may be worth the hassle.........?

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Fri May 11, 2007 7:56 pm

very bad feng shui too. not at all auspicious, unfortunately.
anyway, anyway, love from me.

keddyboy
Resident

Postby keddyboy » Sat May 12, 2007 9:16 am

We have a spiral staircase and I agree with the comments already made re furniture etc but no problem is insurmountable.
Mt father who is 81, however, thinks it is a safe staircase as due to its narrowness he finds getting up and down stairs easy.
Keddyboy
Never do today what you can leave until tomorrow.

maggiebee
Tourist

Postby maggiebee » Sun May 13, 2007 9:02 am

I was really interested to hear about your father,Keddyboy - thank you. I had assumed it would become more difficult as I get older but I can see what he means about feeling safer. We're going over next week to make our decision!