Watch Out For So-Called Reputable Companies Too!

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
soppytart2day

Watch Out For So-Called Reputable Companies Too!

Postby soppytart2day » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:02 am

About 3 years back we decided to sell up in Uk and start a 'wonderful life in the sun' as seen on 'A Place In The Sun' who make it all look so easy and inviting. Well, it wasn't, not for us anyway!

We came over on a 4 day viewing trip with Masa International who put us in the wrong area to start with. After being dragged round behind another couple for a whole day (the other couple were none too pleased to have us in tow but the agents were thin on the ground!) I demanded of the agent that night that he 'fly us back home' the next day as they had NOT fulfilled their promise to us.

Next day we were loaded into a taxi and driven (for 1/2 hour we were told) for 2 hours down the coast to Mojacar where we were again popped into a very nice hotel on the front.

They handed us over to Sunrise Properties in Mojacar who then began the 'heavy-sell' showing us properties that were totally NOT what we asked for, where too far away, off the beaten track etc., or way over our budget! They then started on about mortgages etc., but we had already explained that, at our time of life (both mid fifties) we had no intention of taking on a mortgage!

Anyway, nothing was suitable then on the afternoon of last day we were taken out to Arboleas and handed over to Lakes-Vega properties who then showed us two sites - one up in the hills just past Arboleas town itself and on road to Zurgena and the other in the olive groves.

We liked the first site up in the hills and the corner plot we saw was great. However, back at the office the heavy stuff started. Firstly, the Sunrise agent started a heated dispute over the price with the Lakes -Vega agent who had quoted us a considerably CHEAPER price than Sunrise agent was trying to quote us.

What they didn't bargain for was my fella understood some of what was being argued over so he stepped in and severly berated the Sunrise agent and refused to deal with him again.

Anyway, we then got the pressure shoved onto us about having to sign up that day then we could do other stuff over internet/phone etc.

After signing up and paying 3000 euros deposit we left then flew home next day. Over the next months we paid several payments then sold up and moved over into rented accommodation to oversee the building work. My fella had to be on top of the builders, Lakes-Vega and Sunrise all the time.

Then something bad happened. My fella had a fall and broke his back and we ended up in Torrecardenas hospital, Almeria for just on 2 weeks where he underwent surgery to insert titanium rods and plates into his back to support his spine. We were told all along that it was 50/50 chance he would walk again.

After contacting our Solicitor in Vera (who was really good) immediately, I told her to stop the purchase/sale as we didn't know what the future held. The hospital was a total disgrace being filthy dirty, stinking and with the most horrible staff you could ever wish to meet apart from the surgeons, that is.

The builder started to demand FULL payment for the property - which was nowhere near finished and Sunrise properties continued to hand over our money to him. We lost a lot of money through the deal but our solicitor fought hard and got us enough back to come back to UK and buy another house without having to take out a mortgage.

I urge everybody thinking of relocating after being beguiled by these television programmes to think long, think hard and never, ever, sign anything that is written in spanish or that you feel pressurised over.

They tell you these places are beautiful and much sought after but it's a different story when you see them in the real light of day.

We learned the hard way.

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:40 pm

Bleedin' Hell, Soppy, that was horrendous.

Is your man ok now?

Heston
Resident

companies

Postby Heston » Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:16 pm

That such a tragic and disgusting story and I hope your hubby is well and you are both happy..I think its good that you posted this as even company's that are "big" and supposedly reputable treat people in this way.
Good luck to you both in the future.