Opinions please!

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
dido72
Resident

Opinions please!

Postby dido72 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:51 pm

After reading some comments (from Beachcomber and Retro P) on another thread I am starting to have some serious doubts about our move to Spain as I really trust the opinions of all on A.com.

My situation is that my husband is a home carer, earning just over minimum wage and I am a housewife as we have 3 children under the age of 5 and I would be worse off going back to work. We plan to move to Spain and open a B&B in the Antequera area (not another one I hear you cry!!). We are very aware that the income from this would be small so have a few other plans too. One of these is to provide respite care for locals (probably mainly ex-pats) to give them and the people who look after them every day a break. I have looked into this and the insurances etc are a lot but it would be worth it if we could get regular customers.

I would like you all to tell me what you think, I know I am not going to like what I hear but give it to me straight, don't hold back...I know you won't, I don't want to take any stupid risks with my childrens welfare.

Failing that does anyone have any jobs going? :roll:

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:22 pm

dido72 well you are brave going for this with small children..if you spoke spanish
to provide respite care for locals (probably mainly ex-pats) to give them and the people who look after them every day a break.
I would think this would go well..also night baby care for some on holiday..but to rely on just expats in and around your area.. sounds a bit dodgy..but I think with your personality..you could make it work...but its still a risk...
jobs don´t come easy either...Ikea Malaga are looking for staff now though..
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:38 pm

Dido 72, any comments I make regarding the practicalities of life in Spain are only meant to be pointers, I don't actually live here although I do come on holiday quite often to Nueva Andalucia, I also own a property in Alfaz de Pi, Benidorm which is currently rented to a long term renter who's been there three years now.

It can and usually is, extremely difficult to get even basic employment here unless you possess some very sought after skills, this is why so many people come here with dreams and end up bitter and disappointed, basically it's not the same as being on holiday although some can't see past that.
However you may have hit on an idea which might just work, there are untold number of "agencies" here who will offer anything they think they can sell for a price, unfortunately most of them don't know their ar5e from their elbow and often provide a very inferior service, some posters may recall the old lady who died in Estapona a couple of years back because her carer "forgot" to administer her epilepsy medicine, the lady subsequently had a seizure, fell into the pool and drowned!
If you were to offer a personalised service taking just a few clients who could grow to trust you, then you could well be successful, you will need to be near the coast though.
Ah! the full english!!

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:40 pm

I wouldn't want anyone to be put anyone off living their dream because of something I have said on this forum but I have to agree with the above comments.

The paperwork you would require to legitimately run a B & B or care centre would be prohibitive and it could well be some considerable time before you are up and running.

In an ideal situation you should be in a position to be able to purchase a property outright and (possibly or) keep a property in the UK. If you are unable to meet at least one of these conditions you should consider your options very seriously.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:19 pm

dido72 you should invest in a few ads offering your service and prices..the response would give you a better idea than any comment made here.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:08 pm

Thank you all for your opinions and comments,

Silver, I agree that whatever we do it is a huge risk and I do not like taking risks, I think maybe I should take the next step in speaking Spanish (no more cd's in the car). I am actually quite bright, believe it or not and I learn very quickly so maybe I should stop messing about and get on with it! I also speak a reasonable amount of French so I have a small advantage.
Although there are huge amounts of ex-pats inland, how many are so elderly or disabled that they need care? Not too many I would think, although with the respite care they would be staying with us for a week or 2 so to travel a little way wouldn't be too bad.

Retro P, caring is what we do and we do it well, my husband has been a carer in various settings for 15 years and I have an extensive care background too. The paper work needed to set this up would be an absolute minefield I agree but it is something we will have to go through, like it or not. I know the Spanish social services have projects that they help people to set up through them but again it would be necessary to be fluent in Spanish....I just seem to be going round in circles :?

Beachcomber, what you have said frightens me the most, we do not have the means to buy a property outright, we had quite a lot of equity in our house which we have now sold so we have quite a hefty deposit and money to pay the fees etc (I don't think people realise how expensive it is to buy property in Spain) but we will still have to get a mortgage aswell if we need to get a property big enough to run it as a B&B and/or care centre.

This is what I am having second thoughts about, it is all very well getting behind with your electric bills but if you get behind with your mortgage you lose your house and houses are not selling fast in Spain, so if you needed to sell to come back to the UK (with your tail between your legs) you could end up losing everything.

Our first plan was to have some kind of shop (ie English shop until we saw how many there are!) but we decided against it because it was too expensive to buy a home and business premises and set up a business. I also have a background in retail mangement so this would suit me, now I am thinking about looking into this again.

I feel on the edge of panick all the time at the moment, any other comments, ideas, opinions gratefully received, thanks again to you all, :D

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:32 pm

Gosh! It is so difficult to advise anyone. Not only are all our circumstances different, we also all have very different personalities, have different abilities and skills, and varying degrees of risk we are prepared to put up with.

I got myself in quite a state before finally arriving here, so in your feelings of panic you are by no means alone.

I fully respect what Beachcomber is saying. However not everyone is in a position to come out here and buy a property outright, never mind also keep one in the UK. If that were the case, Andalucia would be full of nothing but rich, mainly elderly, ex-pats. While many are like that, not all are.

Despite the high rate of those returning to the UK, there are many non-pensioners who make a go of it.

Your respite care idea sounds a good one to me, although I have no hard facts to back that up. What I do know is that quite a lot of people out here have mum or dad, or both, living either nearby, in a granny flat, or with them. If I was in that position, respite care would sound attractive. As a selling point, are you and hubby both "police checked" in the UK? If so, I imagine that would give a lot of reassurance to people.

I would also echo what Beachcomber says about not underestimating the time it can take to set things up.

At the end of the day only you and the family can take the decision, but don't let us put you off, and in 20 years time be sitting regretting you never had a go.

Whatever you choose, good luck.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:41 pm

Thank you Alan for your kind and encouraging words,

my husband and I are both police checked, him as a carer and me as a registered childminder and we would probably get a fresh CRB each before coming to Spain.

Regarding the time it takes to set things up, we plan to stay in the UK until whatever we are doing is done! Although we have a contingency fund we do not want to fritter it away while we wait for the red tape to be sorted. This would mean paying a mortgage in Spain and rent in UK but it is possible.....just.

I would just like to say that all the reply's have been positive and encouraging and most of all honest and I really appreciate that,

MarkF
Resident

Postby MarkF » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:51 pm

Hi Dido72,

I will do bad news first, without the cash to buy a house outright you should be looking at rental. If things don't work out you will have some cash to start back in the UK, you MUST protect your children.

The goods news IMO, is that you have a viable business idea. :) You are experienced and no doubt have some qualifications. Here is my advice based on personal experience.

First, build a website, any idiot can do it, after all I did. Advertise in the Costa rags and websites, it's not much. Join as many forums as you can and after being accepted as "contributor" make your plans public. You will then have at least some idea of the demand.

I know this works, I needed an income in Spain and did exactly this, I think my total outlay was under £150 and I had a good demand for my (then) non-existent business.

burrotaxi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby burrotaxi » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:10 pm

That sounds to me like great advice. Dip your toe in the water and see what reaction you get. A website should be a good investment. See if you can find some competitors too and gauge how they are doing. Learning Spanish has got to help you too. In Mijas there is a reasonable Foreigners Department at the Town Hall and maybe if there is anything similar in your area they can offer guidance on what is required.
Keep hold of the dream and good luck!
BurroTaxi

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:32 pm

Gosh, I wish I had read this earlier because, this morning on OCI Radio (a local English language station) there was an interview with two Brits who have just started a Carer Company. I was only half listening I´m afraid, so I didn´t pick up the name. If I recall correctly, they have a similar business in the UK and had the idea, just like you have, to set up similar arrangements here. I think they are based on the Coast rather than Inland, but that is where the greatest numbers of Brits are.

They do repeat such programmes and if I hear it again I will pay more attention and let you know.

I agree with much of what others have said. Been here almost three years, fortunately living off a decent UK pension. Living costs are cheaper here. The thing I totally underestimated was the need to speak Spanish fluently. Obvious with hindsight. If you are contemplating a business then I think fluency is ESSENTIAL. Would I sell up and move to Spain with a family? No I wouldn´t! Sorry to be negative but that is just my opinion. If I really felt that I had to leave the UK I would be seriously looking towards Australia or NZ. A long way from the UK I know but at least the language and culture are both akin to what you are familiar with.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:52 pm

I know of an expat-run B&B in Antequera that never seems to have any guests and in fact had been up for sale for a couple of years - no takers and so the owners are stuck. There are many centrally located hostals in Antequera already.
On the other hand I recently met a couple who have lovely 2 self-contained apartments (attached to their house) near Villanueva de Algaidas and which they successfully rent out most of the year.
I'm not sure that B&B guests AND respite care residents would be a good combination in the same premises...

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:53 pm

Wow, so many replies where do I start?

Mark, the original plan was to rent to try it out first but with us wanting to have a home based business it would be difficult if not impossible to get the correct paperwork. We were also scared that we would not be able to earn enough in Spain to get a decent mortgage but then again if we don't earn enough we can't pay a mortgage can we? Re the website, my husband has already set up a website once (sadly it was a Blackpool FC fan site :roll: ) so he knows his stuff...luckily because I haven't got a clue!

Burrotaxi, thank you very much for your encouragement, good advice.

Masterob, I will try to contact OCI to find out the details, thanks, you are not being negative at all just honest :)

Hillybilly, I agree that it probably wasn't a good idea to mix the 2, it was the original idea but perhaps not a good one. Re your friend with the B&B what is their website and do you think they would take a cheeky offer? :wink:

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:05 pm

dido72 wrote:Re your friend with the B&B what is their website and do you think they would take a cheeky offer? :wink:
Have sent you a PM, but why would you want to buy a non-successful outfit?

Valencia_Paul
Resident

Postby Valencia_Paul » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:10 pm

dido72 wrote:Thank you Alan for your kind and encouraging words,

my husband and I are both police checked, him as a carer and me as a registered childminder and we would probably get a fresh CRB each before coming to Spain.
I work at the CRB for my sins (Criminal Records Bureau) and you can only get a so-called basic disclosure as a member of the public. This would not be suitable for working with vulnerable children or adults and would not be recognised in Spain.

See:

http://www.ddc.uk.net/other-disclosure- ... eck-myself

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:44 pm

I think what you would need is a Certificado de Antecedentes Penales:

http://www.mju.es/mpenales_cer.htm

Jane
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Jane » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:08 pm

I know you said you want a 'home based' business, but perhaps an alternative way to start (that won't incurr such a big outlay) would be to offer care services in people's own homes. You and your husband have the experience and many people need extra care help these days and don't actually want to leave home, they want someone coming in. In fact this could work as a separate business stream to compliment a care home. There are a large number of agencies offering this kind of service now in the UK and we were very grateful for it when my father was ill and my elderly mother couldn't manage everything like washing and shaving him. We also had night sitters who came and just sat in the apartment during the night thereby giving us the chance to sleep without worrying about my father and whether he needed anything. I don't think there would be a demand from the Spanish, as families care for their own elderly relatives, but with an elderly population of ex-pats I think there would be a demand.
Jane

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:11 pm

Hillybilly, I couldn't find a website for that B&B so I gave them a ring, it is way over our budget. I did a google search and all I found was an advert on another website, no photo's prices etc, could this be why they have no business? I also couldn't find it for sale anywhere.

Valencia-Paul, I didn't realise you could only get a basic on your own, it would only be for peace of mind for our clients anyway.

Beachcomber, spot on as always.

Thanks to all.

MarkF
Resident

Postby MarkF » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:44 pm

dido72 wrote: Mark, the original plan was to rent to try it out first but with us wanting to have a home based business it would be difficult if not impossible to get the correct paperwork. We were also scared that we would not be able to earn enough in Spain to get a decent mortgage but then again if we don't earn enough we can't pay a mortgage can we? Re the website, my husband has already set up a website once (sadly it was a Blackpool FC fan site :roll: ) so he knows his stuff...luckily because I haven't got a clue!
Sorry, I assumed that you would be "caring", short term, for people in their own homes, that sounds a good business to me anyway. :)

Well your husband can crack on then, get a website built, or is he too giddy with excitement about the play-offs right now?

Tell him I remember Blackpool in the play offs, 1996, 0-3, I had a great night out! :D :D :D

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:12 pm

I would think there is a demand for caring for people in their own homes but..some organisations are already doing this on the coast (have a look at the ads in the local newspapers) also the demand could be spread fairly wide so don't now how it would work.

Did you buy the house you put in an offer for or change your mind?