Opinions please!

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:33 pm

Mark, my husband is quite giddy as you would expect :roll:

Katy, home care is something we have considered too, we did some research inland and found that there was not much interest, maybe I should try again! Re the house we put an offer on, the owners have been in the UK for a while now and still haven't told us if they have accepted our offer (according to the estate agent!!!) so we are just going to walk away, we can't wait any longer.

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:29 am

Dido, this may sound odd but, it's possible the estate agent hasn't even told the vendors about your offer in the hope that someone will better it, the Estate agents creed in Costa del Sol is Greed, greed and more greed, If I were you I would try to get hold of the vendors!
Ah! the full english!!

Dealer
Resident

Postby Dealer » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:37 am

dido72 wrote:I feel on the edge of panick all the time at the moment, any other comments, ideas, opinions gratefully received, thanks again to you all, :D
That's because you are thinking this through if you did this on a whim you would arrive here with rose coloured glasses so treat your panic as normal. This is an attitude thing and if you both have all the fact and I think that you do you will make it and what the hell if you don't you are both young enough to try it and fail.

As an old git who has lived in some of the best parts of the world and some of the worst I say go for it as the bottom line is if you bottle out now you WILL ALWAYS regret not trying it while you are still young. Give up now and give up on living and go buy that hubby of yours a pipe and slippers.
"A soul afraid of dying will never live"

Chrissie
Resident

Opinions please!

Postby Chrissie » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:49 am

Diana
I totally agree with Dealer. Go for it. You have obviously done your homework and are well aware of any pitfalls.
As one who first took a chance on Spain when I was your age, and by the way, made a success of it I think I'm qualified to judge.
You have an open mind about work and I believe that is one of the main requirements. Do concentrate on getting a head start with the language though and I'm sure you'll find your niche. Also, don't forget that children are much more adaptable than we give them credit for.
Good luck with the move and every success - I might be calling on your care services in a few years :)
Christine

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:21 am

I echo Dealer's and Chrissie's opinions too. Don't regret not doing it. You are young enough to brush yourselves off and start again should it not work out but with grit and determination it will.

Anyway I might need your services too in the not too far distant future. :wink:

Good Luck.

Kelly4
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Kelly4 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:59 pm

Dido

You might want to consider taking a TEFL (english as a foreign language) qualification in you're moving inland. The demand for english teachers is higher inland because of the relative lack of ex-pats but you may have to consider moving a little further inland than Antequera. With a TEFL qualification, you or your husband stand a much better chance of being able to earn a regular income (allowing you to pay into the social security system...ensuring entitlement to state healthcare...and freeing you up to set up a business venture at a more leisurely pace.) If you buy a bit of time to set up your business, you'll gain a much better insight into the market, the system and the language. Teaching might not be what you want in the long term but it could be a means to an end.

Also, on a more negative note...sorry...please don't underestimate the cost of living here. Things like electricity and telephone costs (amongst other things) are more expensive than the UK. Living with kids in Spain is tough financially, which is why they have the 2nd lowest fertility rate in the world. It might not seem much now but your Child Benefit, with three kids, at least pays for food, baby basics and clothes. You will miss that when it's gone...there is no Spanish equivalent.

I have four young children and we're worse off financially than we were in the UK (and worse off than we imagined we would be in 'sunny Spain' when we were doing the kind of planning you're doing now.) BUT...ultimately the sense of freedom and community that my children experience here makes it all worthwhile. Yes, I'm pretty sure they would get that if we moved to a tiny village in the UK but there you go. It can be a wonderful move for kids but it does need to be thought through, especially if you have older children or children with special needs. How old are your children, by the way?

One further bit of advice, if I may...enrol your children in Spanish classes now. If you decide not to come, it won't have done them any harm to learn a few phrases for holidays here. If you do decide to make the move it is VITAL that your children have a basic command of the language before they arrive.

Good luck.

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:39 pm

I echo all the above postings. Do it , but with wide open eyes - all the above advice is good. I came out here after having timeshare locally,
knowing the area well, but had some years to go before retirement. I had ideas for business but had not realised the extent of protectionism in favour of Spaniards or the level of bureaucracy. I am now working in an altogether different commercial environment, not earning half the money I used to in the UK, all of which sounds pessimistic.
However, and it is a big however, my money goes further, especially as I have the time to shop around, I have friends ( and I mean friends ) both ex-pats from various countries as well as Spanish ones. The lifestyle is better, everyone smiles ( especially at my attempts at Spanish which is fast improving ) and all the Spanish people, including the Guardia Civil, are helpful and kind. I will not be leaving.

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:32 pm

Thanks guys, you are all so kind and encouraging, I have a little tear in my eye. Tell you what, whenever I get there and whatever I end up doing I will be having a big party and you are all invited! :D

Kelly, good advice, thanks, my children are 4, 2 and 1 so I guess it's a really good time for them. The 4yr old already speaks a fair bit of Spanish....she is like a sponge, I wish it were that easy for me!

katie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby katie » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:57 am

What a positive, sensible thread :D I am hoping to move over to Spain later this year. I work in the care profession at the moment and hope to get some sort of 'care' job over there. I will be moving to the CDS area.

Heston
Resident

opinions

Postby Heston » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:01 pm

Dido

so good that so many people replied and in so many different ways...do you think its a bit of cold feet...getting nearer and panic setting in as it is a massive decesion. As you know we sold up lock stock and barrel but we didnt have children to consider..if I had children I would have done it years earlier as no way would I bring up children in England these days..I watch some of my friends try their best with their kids and try to bring them up well but things are so different from when we were kids( and I am not even that old) I think the British society has gone mad. My husband didnt have an easy road getting here but we are here now and very happy and I always had in my head "better to go and fail than not to try at all" ( I think someone else said this to you too) Only you can make the final decesion people here have given good advice and a good mix of opinion but at the end of the day its your decesion.
My Boss had a b and b but changed it to self contained apartments with all disabled facilities( inland Granada) its now less work for his poor wife and he is always fully booked..in fact he advertises on here...that could be something for you to consider. As for the agent get another one sounds unprofessional and messing you around...theres plenty more out there.
Whatever you do......will be the best for you and your family in the end
xxx

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:55 pm

Thank you to Katie and Heston, more practical positive comments.

I have listened to the advice of someone very wise and taken the weekend to have a really good think and a long talk with my husband. We have come to the conclusion that we don't have enough cold hard cash to make this move without taking huge risks (ie we can afford a property with a mortgage but if the business doesn't take off we would be struggling to pay it) and I am not about to risk my family's happiness.

We have decided to take a year out and invest what cash we have to try to earn a bit more cash to lessen the risk. It is extremely frustrating to have to wait and in some ways it feels like failure but we WILL move to Spain sometime in the near future, we are just biding our time and not rushing in and making mistakes.

Thanks again to everyone for contributing, this doesn't mean you are getting rid of me, I'll still be hanging around :wink:

.......so has anyone got any money making schemes? :lol: :lol: :lol:

spanish hopes
Resident

Postby spanish hopes » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:46 pm

It is extremely frustrating to have to wait and in some ways it feels like failure
Frustrating certainly, failure? Not at all. You have more to consider than yourselves so your decision is sensible in the extreme. The saying 'Tomorrow never comes' is only true if you want it to be. You will have plenty of tomorrows, don't give up the dream. :wink: :lol:

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:54 am

We have decided to take a year out and invest what cash we have to try to earn a bit more cash to lessen the risk
Sounds wise..you will have time to improve your Spanish too...good luck :)
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:13 am

Dido, I have to agree with above comments. Being realistic as you are and thinking carefully before blindly leaping in is in my book good planning and NOT failure.

The main and most important decision has been made............i.e. you want to move, and I'm sure with your sensible aproach when the time is right you'll make a success of it.

We've had a place in Spain for 5 years now and we can't make the decision to move for no other reason than we're not sure whether we could live there full time.

In this respect with your determinanation and commitment to live there I feel you are in a better position than us to make it work, as you really want it to happen.

All the very best over the next year or two and we look forward to seeing you both when you get your new keys.

Regards,

Kenny

avellana
Resident

Postby avellana » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:01 am

Dido
What a lovely change to find someone with children being so sensible.
Decision made, goal in mind and time to learn Spanish and save hard for the move.

Look forward to the move - time flies especially in Andalucia!

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:40 pm

Thanks guys, I have another web page open about Spanish lessons to show my hubby when he gets home, he said he would come with me which suprised me as he is dyslexic and terrified of learning anything new, just need to sort out a babysitter :roll:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:44 pm

A year or so isn't very long when you are still young. And, just think if UK prices keep rising and spanish ones are going to fall you will be in a good situation :D

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:51 pm

Katy, that is what we are hoping for :wink:

BTW I'm not all that young....34 but feeling 64 with my lot running me ragged! :roll: :roll: :lol:

mijas-lady
Resident

Postby mijas-lady » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:04 pm

34 trust me thats young :D Im 44 and 34 seems soooooooooooooo far away!
You see living here really does age you :wink: look at those poor ladies on tonights 10 oclock show :shock: :shock: life is not easy here at all.

spanish hopes
Resident

Postby spanish hopes » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:19 pm

I'm not 34 either. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: