moving to Andalucia

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Sailor
Andalucia.com Amigo

moving to Andalucia

Postby Sailor » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:50 am

Hello all, we are a couple ( European, German English) who have lived in Australia for many years, in my case ( the German ) for 48 and my partner 26 years in Australia, the last 11 on the Gold Coast in SE Queensland. We are now retired an miss Europe. We could not live in a cold climate so we thought Andalucia ( having been to Marbella etc on holidays which is different ) would be the go. We are booked to arrive in Nerja on May 17th to have a good look around , for places to live perhaps. Any pit falls we should know about? we are thinking of buying some property , is it better to rent for a while? the problem is that we have a house to sell and heaps of furniture, some of it antique, maybe it would be best to buy and sell and put all our stuff into a container and ship it? My Partner has a British Passport and I have an Australian. Does anybody see any problems here? we have looked at health insurance and it seems to be obtainable ( we are 70 and 72) albeit expensive. Any thought would be appreciated, we are looking at the med lifestyle, walking to a cafe or in the afternoon to a bodega for a vino tinto and stuff like that.
cheers
Rainer

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Re: moving to Andalucia

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:25 am

Hello Sailor... :lol:

Welcome to the Forum.

I am surprised that not a single forum member has responded to your request, perhaps they are all too busy contemplating their own fates.

Anyway I would say that you are no doubt well versed in being expats and would probably qualify for your 'pioneers' badge, and I'm sure that you will have experienced all of the problems of settling in a foreign country, so I doubt that you will have any real problems settling in Spain.
I guess that you will be well aware of all of the economic problems etc here in Spain, so provided you do your 'homework' and rent as you say, then I don't think that you can go wrong.

Good Luck with your move and if you have any specific requests for assistance , then please don't hesitate to contact me by private message and I will endeavor to try to advise you.

Regards,
Gordon.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:27 am

Hola marinero,

Welcome to the Forum...............

If you want to keep warm in the winter months then find somewhere along the coast, Inland is cold.

The south coast is windy...........the marketing boys changed its name to Costa del Sol 8)

Maybe best to come for an extended holiday.....you may find the grass isn't greener on the other side and you can then go back home............ :D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:29 pm

Rent , rent & rent again. If you buy & do want to move on you'll never sell it at the moment.
You might be better here, were I am or Águilas down on the coast as it rarely rains here.
Todos somos Lorca.

Sailor
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Sailor » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:05 am

BENIDORM wrote:Hello Sailor... :lol:

Welcome to the Forum.

I am surprised that not a single forum member has responded to your request, perhaps they are all too busy contemplating their own fates.

Anyway I would say that you are no doubt well versed in being expats and would probably qualify for your 'pioneers' badge, and I'm sure that you will have experienced all of the problems of settling in a foreign country, so I doubt that you will have any real problems settling in Spain.
I guess that you will be well aware of all of the economic problems etc here in Spain, so provided you do your 'homework' and rent as you say, then I don't think that you can go wrong.

Good Luck with your move and if you have any specific requests for assistance , then please don't hesitate to contact me by private message and I will endeavor to try to advise you.

Regards,
Gordon.

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:23 pm

Were you going to say something, Sailor?

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:08 pm

Good post copy. What now?
Dave

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:29 pm

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:27 pm

:yawn: Still waiting :yawn:

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:55 am

You guys are not being nice, the OP is in their 70's and maybe quite not so into all the in's and out's of the site. My apologies if you are Sailor :)

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Mon May 20, 2013 7:44 pm

There was a very similar post to this... i.e. senior couple coming to Andalucia from Oz, a year or so back. I was interested, having lived there for a few years in my 20s.

sailor might have used another name, then.

Edit.... Had a hunt thru back posts... Different person ... Boratri... came from Melbourne, not gold coast.

GaryP
Tourist

Postby GaryP » Tue May 28, 2013 7:13 pm

Concur with the rent, rent, rent sentiment. Look before you leap in to a new country and the very turbulent Spanish housing market. Once youve looked, there may be a FEW real house sale bargains, living in the Nerja area there are probably a handful of bargains in amongst 100's of nightmare purchases- so take great care or you can lose 100,000s !!

Sailor if your partner is non EU, clearly there may be issues re access to the Spanish (public) health system, but as you say you can go private for 100+ euro a month or so...

Let us know if you need any more input/thoughts/waffle :0)

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Tue May 28, 2013 7:31 pm

Maybe sailor has changed his mind.
Dave

Sailor
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Sailor » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:41 am

Hi all, I am surprised that I did not get many replies, anyway we have just returned from 3 + weeks mostly in Andalucia from Nerja to Gib, we like the place and found a nice house to buy in El Hacho , La Duquesa with nice ocean views and generally in a nice urbanisation to buy at what I consider a reasonable price for EUR 235k , the problem with renting is that we have a big house with pool etc and if you rent your house with furniture in it people do not take care of your place.
So we have an option on this place until the end of June. Because my partner with a British passport and recipient of an English pension we have been advised that she is covered for medical insurance. true? In my case, as I will be buying the house in joint names and I have been in a de facto ( unmarried) situation for 25 years which the Spanish now accept according to my lawyer I will also be covered for medical once I have my residence permit.
I rang the Spanish Consular office in Sydney and they kind of confirmed this. What experiences have any of you guys had who come from no EU countries?
Appreciate any experiences
Cheers
Sailor

El Viejo Hombre
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby El Viejo Hombre » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:59 am

Sailor wrote: El Hacho , La Duquesa with nice ocean views
The Med is not an ocean :mrgreen:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:39 am

Sailor wrote:Hi all, I am surprised that I did not get many replies, anyway we have just returned from 3 + weeks mostly in Andalucia from Nerja to Gib, we like the place and found a nice house to buy in El Hacho , La Duquesa with nice ocean views and generally in a nice urbanisation to buy at what I consider a reasonable price for EUR 235k ,

Well you certainly took the advice to rent first pretty seriously!

As for health care it doesn't necessarily follow that your partner will be entitled to the relevant Form S1 from the DWP - it may depend on her overall contribution record which could be a problem if she has been out of the UK for so long. Also, although the Spanish authorities accept your de facto relationship you may find that the DWP do not and if so they will not issue you with a "dependants" form which means you would have no cover.

You need to check with the DWP in Newcastle.

Sid

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:54 am

Hi Sailor

I have a friend with a beautiful apartment to rent or sell in Duquesa with beautiful views of the Med. It is 550,000 euros but maybe you might be interested in renting it? Shall I ask my friend what her thoughts are - I haven't actually spoken to her about her apartment recently. We are getting together next week as she is having a few days in Nerja with friends, a girlie break :D

Sailor
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Sailor » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:01 am

Thanks El CID,
I thought I did explain why renting is not a good option for us but thanks for the advice re health insurance. We will check with Newcastle , any idea re the contact details.or what does DWP stand for and I can look it up.
We do want to live in Europe again so buying a house for relatively little money I do not see as a problem.
There was one comment that the Med is not an ocean, I am fully aware of this but having sailed in the pacific, Med , Baltic, Atlantic in yachts to me it is the same , except the pacific is rougher than some other areas.
What is the Spanish health system like? I hear that it is pretty good, the Australian public health system is not to crash hot either, we pay a lot for private health insurance and we can get private health insurance in Spain, I have had conversations and quotes via e- mail.
Anyway thanks and let me know if there are other things or pitfalls that we should consider.
Cheers
Rainer

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:19 am

Hello Rainer,
Because your circumstances are different to most of the forum members here you may find that some of the information given to you isn't relevant in your case, however I think that you will find it a good guide.
I have found Healthcare very good in Spain, but obviously the Spanish Health Service has it's problems like most countries , and as you have stated you can always use the private system if you can afford it, plenty of choice if you shop around.
Anyway Good Luck with your move and it would be interesting to keep in touch with the A.Com Forum and let everyone know your progress.

Regards,
Gordon

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:22 am

Sailor wrote:Thanks El CID,
We will check with Newcastle , any idea re the contact details.or what does DWP stand for and I can look it up.

Department of Work and Pensions
International Pension Centre
[email protected]
Telephone: +44 (0)191 218 7777

Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm