Can UK O.A.P'S Survive in Spain On Basic Pensions.?

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
elusive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Can UK O.A.P'S Survive in Spain On Basic Pensions.?

Postby elusive » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:21 pm

what a lovely reply. gives hope for people in the same situation. my family members were screwed over by pension providers.
Mariacristina wrote:I have been living here on a British State Pension for the last seven years. I wasn't expecting to have to do it but the company that I gave my money to so that I would have an additional private pension spent it on bonuses to their executives instead and left hardly anything for me. I thought that the end of the world had come at the time, but I have survived very nicely. I don't have a mortgage and I don't have a car, but I have everything I need.

I live out in the sticks on the edge of a small village. We have a couple of shops and a weekly market. I help my neighbours in their huerta and they supply me with vegetables. I grow salad crops, herbs and pretty flowers in my garden, and I have orange and lemon trees. I seldom see other British people but I have the best friends and neighbours in the world, I give free English lessons to anyone who wants them and get lots of nice presents in exchange; I go to the local (free) adult education classes every weekday afternoon, which improves my Spanish, my general knowledge and is good fun; that keeps me very involved in all the ancilliary activities that go on; while I'm there I help two ladies with poor literacy skills to practice their reading so I am doing something useful in exchange; I go to keep-fit classes in the village twice a week and dancing class once a week. I also belong to the neighbours association so I get involved in their activities too. I live in beautiful surroundings, in wonderful walking country, I have a great social life.

Of course I have problems. Of course every day isn't wall-to-wall sunshine, but taken overall I reckon I am one of the luckiest people in the world.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:33 am

elusive wrote:what a lovely reply. gives hope for people in the same situation. my family members were screwed over by pension providers.
Mariacristina wrote:I have been living here on a British State Pension for the last seven years. I wasn't expecting to have to do it but the company that I gave my money to so that I would have an additional private pension spent it on bonuses to their executives instead and left hardly anything for me. I thought that the end of the world had come at the time, but I have survived very nicely. I don't have a mortgage and I don't have a car, but I have everything I need.

I live out in the sticks on the edge of a small village. We have a couple of shops and a weekly market. I help my neighbours in their huerta and they supply me with vegetables. I grow salad crops, herbs and pretty flowers in my garden, and I have orange and lemon trees. I seldom see other British people but I have the best friends and neighbours in the world, I give free English lessons to anyone who wants them and get lots of nice presents in exchange; I go to the local (free) adult education classes every weekday afternoon, which improves my Spanish, my general knowledge and is good fun; that keeps me very involved in all the ancilliary activities that go on; while I'm there I help two ladies with poor literacy skills to practice their reading so I am doing something useful in exchange; I go to keep-fit classes in the village twice a week and dancing class once a week. I also belong to the neighbours association so I get involved in their activities too. I live in beautiful surroundings, in wonderful walking country, I have a great social life.

Of course I have problems. Of course every day isn't wall-to-wall sunshine, but taken overall I reckon I am one of the luckiest people in the world.
Excellent! Lovely to hear that :thumbup: :thumbup:
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:19 am

It is nice to hear. However looking back at her previous posts there are a few "inconsistencies" to that lovely "story" :think: Similar to a few more posters, first they are retired and a few posts later they are working. Perhaps it's the heat :lol:

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:39 am

katy wrote:It is nice to hear. However looking back at her previous posts there are a few "inconsistencies" to that lovely "story" :think: Similar to a few more posters, first they are retired and a few posts later they are working. Perhaps it's the heat :lol:
Could be Miss Marple :thumbup: Still have not got to the bottom of the other detective story. :thumbdown: I feel quite cheated and still wondering - who - :thumbdown: who was it :D

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:48 am

Who was it...only 5 of us know, although some may have worked it out for themselves :think: I can't tell you yet or they may kill me :wink: :lol:

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:09 pm

Whats the delay then!! :wave: :thumbdown: There is you, the moderators, and the person posting. Any clues :thumbup: First letter of name ie K, C, D etc :P :mrgreen:

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:03 pm

Since I first wrote this thread I have spoken with a good number of people ( usually in Lidl ) :oops: , and many have told me that they do live well on the Basic State Pension that they receive.
And of course that's probably why they shop at places like Lidl, they choose the days when the offers are on and most go weekly and buy much of their shopping including fruit and veg.
Now I have to admit that we do now shop more in Lidl, the ranges seem to be improving all of the time, and the store that we use is always very clean and the staff fine.
Many of the products are great and we do like the different country variations that they have on offer, although I have to say that we still prefer Mercadona for most of our fruit and veg / meats.
However quite a few commented that they do not eat out or frequent bars as much now, which I suppose is quite a saving, but it does prove that people do adapt to their circumstances and of course it's probably not what they planned for their retirement, but at least they are getting on with their lives.
And thinking about it, could it be a healthier option now that they aren't out eating and drinking as much, but then again maybe they eat and drink more at home..cheaper ? :think:

Regards,
Gordon.

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:37 pm

I guess the word is "survive" then...

anyroads

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:04 am

If they can't survive on it here , they'd have no chance in the UK. Having recently returned from 3 weeks in the UK for the 1st time in 8 years , I couldn't believe the prices .
Todos somos Lorca.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:11 am

They wouldn't have too would they, they would get pension credit :roll:

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:12 am

Even if with pension credits it was trebled , I couldn't survive over there. & that's doing nothing.
Todos somos Lorca.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:22 pm

Yes, my daughter works for the pension service and has given us an idea of what we'd be entitled to. We wouldn't be able to live as comfortably as we do here.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:46 am

Just back from the UK. I couldn't believe how cheap everything was.
Dave

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:56 am

:lol: :lol:

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:40 am

Mowser wrote:Just back from the UK. I couldn't believe how cheap everything was.
You must go somewhere cheaper than Devon then. :lolno:
Todos somos Lorca.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:48 am

gus-lopez wrote:
Mowser wrote:Just back from the UK. I couldn't believe how cheap everything was.
You must go somewhere cheaper than Devon then. :lolno:
Scotland. Same shops ... Tesco, LIDL. ASDA, M & S. Apart from alcohol and cigarettes (that I took with me), a weekly shopping was cheaper than Spain.

Admittedly, if the exchange rate was better, Spain would be cheaper.
Dave

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:13 am

Well having unfortunately spent inordinate amounts of time in various supermarkets all around North & Mid-Devon I'd have to disagree. The bills were astronomical & although some prices were cheaper , the cast majority were more expensive.
What I found unbelievable though was that at any time of day or night all the supermarkets were absolutely heaving ? Yes, I know it is holiday season but even friends who live there say that it is always the same.
One annoying thing I found was in their car parks. Rows for the disabled, then 'parents & children , then more rows for 'over-65's'. Might as well just put up a sign stating
"all you paying for this lot, park in farthest corner & get the bus back " :lol:
Exactly the same in the multi-stories. Got to go up 4 floors before there's parking for the peasants.
Todos somos Lorca.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:50 am

I note the replies of the various posters about the differences in prices between UK and Spain, but as some rightly say it depends on the region that you are in and that goes for both countries and yes of course the currency rate does determine so many factors.
I personally don't think that there is a great deal of difference with the prices of household commodities, obviously British products will be more expensive in Spain, but most final bills seem to balance out in my experience.
But it really comes down to lifestyle, I'm personally happier now in Spain, but there have been times when I wanted to leave, but that was down to personal / family problems/illness etc.

So really I believe it's what you 'make of it', and coming back to the original title of this thread, I am now convinced that the majority of pensioners can and are managing on their basic pensions, perhaps not an ideal situation, but with the age group concerned, most will have been through good and bad times and will always be resourceful and resilient . :thumbup:

Regards,
Gordon

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:16 pm

" but with the age group concerned, most will have been through good and bad times and will always be resourceful and resilient "

But, surely these are "baby boomers" growing up in the 60s, and have been used to better things ?

anyroads

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:38 am

anyroads quipped...

''But, surely these are "baby boomers" growing up in the 60s, and have been used to better things ?''

Well I did say 'MOST', and I don't know what you've been reading but it certainly wasn't all 'milk and honey' and lavish lifestyles for me and many others I suspect, being brought up in the 1950/60's.

And I was straight into the armed forces at age 15, in 1961, so no cushy lifestyle for me !

My Grandparents were Victorian and my parents Edwardian and they had lived through two world wars and very dire times ,and I'm sure most other 'pensioners' had a similar background, so I suppose many of us were taught to look after ourselves and how to fight adversity etc.

Make do and mend.!!!

Regards,
Gordon.