A Perfect Place to Live...In My Opinion.

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

A Perfect Place to Live...In My Opinion.

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:47 pm

I note that many more people are planning to come to live in Spain, so I thought maybe I should try to give a little information about the Village/Town where we live...Salar, Granada Province.
We have most amenities just minutes from our door and such a nice friendly community...
Recently a photographer used a drone camera to film Salar, so if you have a few minutes to spare please log on to Youtube and type up Salar-Granada-Espana..... and peruse.....

The last shot is of the old Marquis of Salar's Summer House, and it looks down onto our humble abode.....
The backing music is in my opinion great..by the way... :wave: ...

Price-wise the properties for sale are very realistic and I know there are many more similar places inland.
We've lived in several places over the past 25 + years, but I can honestly say that here has a special place in our hearts..

Maybe other members would like to give some details about where they live.
Regards,
Gordon
Last edited by BENIDORM on Sat May 21, 2016 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: A Perfect Place to Live...In My Opinion.

Postby olive » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:31 pm

I actually drove through Salar today on my circuitous scenic route back from the airport.

I asked a couple of youngish men sweeping the road where Gordon- El Ingles lives and was directed to quite an impressive and not small red house in the centre. They hadn't heard of the Marquis of Salar.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:53 pm

Olive informed....
''I asked a couple of youngish men sweeping the road where Gordon- El Ingles lives and was directed to quite an impressive and not small red house in the centre. They hadn't heard of the Marquis of Salar.''

:D :D :D ....That's just my weekend cottage.... :wink:

Funny that you stated that they hadn't heard of the Marquis of Salar, as I appear to know more about the local history than the locals do..!!!.. :oops:
In fact I'm giving a local history lesson to 4 local pupils tonight....

Regards,
Gordon of Salar... :wave:

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:07 pm

I was recently sat having a coffee with a 76 year old local in Ventorros de San Jose. He looked wistfully at the new apartments and Coviran shop over the road and said that was where the first oil co op was here in the village. I started it with 3 others. Fascinating detail about the mules used for the pressing and where they were kept,how hard they worked and so on. No photos of course.

What was the ruin at 5 min 40 in the Utube clip? Just a house(s) that had a spring nearby .

Also who is singing that song at the same point?!

PS it was a jest about them not having heard of the Maquis of Salar!

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:11 pm

Olive...I think that it is really important to talk to the older locals...if you can !!, some are so difficult to understand, but they can tell you so much history that will be lost and it really needs to be recorded.

The ruins are the Roman Fuente Alta and until recently a fresh water spring bubbled out from it and it leads down to a semi thermal spring, fantastic in the winter.
The unusual cross ( actually 4 x crosses) was erected after Franco died, to commemorate the fallen during his regime, ( no graves, just disappeared ! ) it was donated by a lady in Barcelona, who lost family during this bad time.
We took a party of 'Brits' there recently and I gave a short talk about the Civil War ( please go to RBL Loja for more photos etc ).
Salar was one of the main 'hotbeds of the Communists ' during the Civil War Period and we still have a Communistas Bar in Salar...very cheap.!..
The vocal backing during the Youtube clip is provided by Robin Schulz...I believe.
I hope that the clip and info. is of interest to some....
Regards,
Gordon.
ps...I knew that you were 'jesting'... :thumbup: