Wills advice please

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
SlimTim
Tourist

Wills advice please

Postby SlimTim » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:02 pm

Hello,
My wife and I have just purchased a house in Andalucia.It is in joint names and we have two young children.It is to be our holiday home until my wife retires in 2 years time when we intend to spend more time here and possibly move here permanently.We have a UK joint mirror Will but have not yet made a Spanish Will.
Given our circumstances is a Spanish Will necessary at this stage.If so what are the reasons and can anyone recommend somewhere reliable and give me an approximate price please (Nerja/Torrox area)
I appreciate there are a few threads on the forum in relation to Wills but would like to make sure any advice I receive is up to date.
Many thanks

Flexo
Resident

Re: Wills advice please

Postby Flexo » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:16 pm

My understanding is that you need a spanish will regardless of your national status or your situation in the UK. Just see a local gestor that will set up an appointment with a notary, shouldn't cost a lot more than a hundred EUR or so.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:24 pm

You do not have to have a Spanish will, but things can get very complicated if you don't have one and one of you dies.

I suggest you try Secure Solutions in Nerja. Adam Rutter on 952 523925

Cost is €295 for two wills, including notary fees. Some gestors may be cheaper, but much of the cost is for the Notary who actually draws up the wills. You can go direct to the notary and save some of the cost.

Sid

truebrit
Resident

Postby truebrit » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:27 pm

I always understood that regardless of whether you had an English will or not a Spanish will was essential. When we moved over 16 years ago we had to make a will when we bought our house. However I still think that you had to have a will just for the Spanish side of your assets and wishes and the sooner you do it the better.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:40 pm

It may be essential, but it is not compulsory.

Sid