Early retirement abroad.

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Early retirement abroad.

Postby Wicksey » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:51 am

I would rent first to see how it goes. You mention a casita so I presume you are looking to be away from a town somewhere. Depending on what you want to buy, some properties are difficult to sell again if you find yourself in the wrong place and want to move. The property market here is very different to that in the UK. There are still houses around us that have been for sale for 10 years and those that have been on the market for many years often have paperwork issues. If it looks too cheap there's bound to be something wrong with it!

As advised by others here, it can be noisy in the campo depending on where you live and it can change between winter and summer particularly if you have rental properties around you which may be unused during the winter but 'party houses' during the summer months. (The Andalucians generally are a noisy lot - you only have to eat in a Spanish restaurant to experience it :lol: )

Look out for animal compounds as there are often a few hunting dogs or guard dogs left at properties in the campo too. Until you live in an area for a while it's difficult to know it. I know in the UK it's different (having moved around there a lot myself) but here you don't always know what it's like until you try it! Also the unmade campo tracks may be good condition until there is heavy rain and then become impassable.

We both retired very early aged 42/41 and have never regretted it at all. We both hate the darkness of an English winter and love the brightness of the winter skies here. I must admit that I have suffered from allergic rhinitis much of the time I have lived here. I'm not sure what it is I am allergic to but there is olive pollen at the moment, and with thousands of mangoes being planted around this area in recent years, there will no doubt be a lot of mango flowers out in due course.

There are a lot of Brits moving back to the UK as you mentioned. Everyone we originally knew here 15 or 20 years ago has gone. In some cases they retired early like you, but in the next 15 or 20 years either wanted to go back to be with family, or the partner dies, or they became ill and wanted to go back. For much younger families, they often went back when the children needed secondary education and college etc, and they felt it was better for them to return to the UK. Some others came and tried it it out, but preferred to be back in England for the majority of the time.

If you can afford it, it may be an idea to buy a bolt hole back in the UK and have that rented out long term. It will give you a regular income and also will mean that you have the property investment rising in capital value too. I don't think the Spanish properties will ever be such a sound investment as UK ones will be.

Edit: I see you've replied at the same time, so some of the above is not so relevent

Bigaitchc
Tourist

Postby Bigaitchc » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:16 pm

It is great to hear so many different perspectives and invaluable that we are getting advice from people who are long term residents. We know we have to get this right and will only have one shot at it. It is almost certain we will come across and rent and take the time to look around and try the life on.
We also know how lucky we are that we have this option, many do not and for this we are very grateful.
Now living in our own Spanish home and loving it.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:17 pm

Be aware that you must declare any asset in the world worth over AIUI £50000 and there are draconian penalties for not so doing. It will be assumed that you are also getting some rental income from it. This declaration/penalty situation is currently being appealed in Brussels so keep an eye on it! I completely agree that you should think seriously about campo vs town. As you age, it does start to get on one's t1ts that every time you need to buy something as basic as food you have to drive several or even many kilometers rather than pop down the road or even do an online shop and delivery.....as for a pizza or Indian takeaway delivery forget it!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:27 pm

Bigaitchc, I have sent you a pm (private message) :D
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

truebrit
Resident

Postby truebrit » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:29 pm

Five years ago when we had moved to the town my husband had a heart bypass and decided to give up driving which is something you could never do in the campo. It's a bit like when you were younger and being encouraged towards pensions etc. At the time you didn't see the point then later on all was clear. Just consider carefully. I'm sure you will make the right decision.

Panamapip

Postby Panamapip » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:44 pm

Hello, My wife and I are currently living in Boquete, Panama. We are both US Citizens, but also hold UK passports because we were born in UK. We are going to make a trip to Spain for 3 weeks in May. Our objective is to move to the Marbella-Malaga area in October. We are not looking to buy a house, but to rent a 3 Bed 2 Bath furnished house. A couple of questions. These may have been answered before, and if so, if someone can point us in right direction, that will be great. Question #1 do we need residence visas, and if so do we apply under our US Passport, or is it easier to apply under UK Passport? Question # 2 we currently receive US Social Security payments, and also have some US Income. We have been filing US tax returns from here for past three years. So we are subject to US tax, not Panamanian, but our Social Security payments are not taxed. Our other income is taxable in the US. If we fall below a certain income level, and continue to file US taxes, are we subject to tax in Spain? Question #3 I am 77 years old ( some say a "young" 77!) My wife is 68 years old. Any Major illness, I would return to US since I have Medicare. What medical insurance, if any, is available to us in Spain?

marios
Resident

Postby marios » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:03 pm

For just purely money transfers I use https://www.currencyfair.com/, you wont find better rates if using the exchange to swop your money with someone who wants £, and 3 Euro per transfer, arrives same day sometimes if done early morning.