Thumbs up for Velez-Malaga?

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Bristol4boris
Tourist

Thumbs up for Velez-Malaga?

Postby Bristol4boris » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:32 pm

We are considering buying a second home in Spain. Hopefully this may be somewhere we'd like to spend more time when we come up for retirement in about five years. Our research has taken us to a number of locations and most recently we have come to the opinion that hill villages, whilst beautiful, are probably going to be too quiet for us. Our last trip found us in Velez-Malaga and we liked its buzzy historic old town, access to Malaga, and the ability to quickly reach the coast. We're keen to hear opinions from those who have spent more time there . Does Velez get your vote?

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Thumbs up for Velez-Malaga?

Postby costakid » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:18 am

Its a nice enough town, quite big and commercial. Got everything you need and good access. Very Spanish so you may need to learn the lingo the integrate.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:01 am

It got my vote - I bought a house here 13 years ago and have lived here permanently for just over 9, and still wouldn't go anywhere else. I like the enduringly Spanish atmosphere with almost no visible influence from foreign tourism, the many historic buildings, the very convenient location just a short distance from either the coast or the countryside, the fact that just about every amenity I want is within walking distance of my home, the excellent public transport links with over 30 buses per weekday to Málaga with the last one returning from Málaga at 11pm, plus daily services to Nerja, Torrox and Granada as well as a local service linking Vélez with Torre del Mar at 15 minute intervals during the day, the range of cultural events taking place within the town (quite a few of the concerts are even free) and the friendly people. Prices for many things are also lower, as they are for the local Spanish market not for tourists or better-off foreign residents. I agree, learning Spanish makes your life easier here as fewer local people speak English than you would find in a coastal town.

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:55 am

I agree with FaL. Although we don't live in Velez, but in the campo about 15km away, we go there at least 3 times per week. There's almost everything you want in the shopping line, plenty of well priced restaurants and bars and the people are very friendly. Don't be put off by its "Spanishness". I know plenty of people who go regularly to Velez with next to no Spanish. Most shops will have someone with a bit of English.

The proximity to the coast is good as well, together with a regular bus service which takes you from the bus station in Velez right onto the seafront.

Don't know why but recently parking has turned into a bit of a nightmare. Until a few months ago you could always find a space somewhere in the back streets but it's got worse recently. Not helped by the fact that there are three large car parks permanently locked.

All in all, would recommend it
AlisonB

truebrit
Resident

Postby truebrit » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:13 pm

Agree wholeheartedly. When we moved to Spain 16 years ago we started off in the Campo, tried a small village and finally bought here in Velez. We love it. We live very much in the centre of Velez. On the flat(very important), we have a pharmacy on our doorstep, across the road from a bakery. Walking distance to everywhere including the Health Centre. In fact, my husband has given up driving as we no longer need the car. Only one thing I would point out(particularly for the future) is choose your area very carefully.

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:18 pm

Hi Truebrit and everyone else. I was thinking of staying for a few days in Velez-Malaga when I come over for a fortnight in September. What are the areas to avoid? Thank you.

Bristol4boris
Tourist

Postby Bristol4boris » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:22 pm

Thanks everyone for the advice. It's all very useful and encouraging to read. We are thinking about locating in the old town. Please do advise on areas we should avoid however.

truebrit
Resident

Postby truebrit » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:42 am

Not for me to point out one particular area or another but would suggest you check areas thoroughly before you decide. Come and stay and weigh up all options, particularly if you are looking to maybe retiring here. Good luck and happy hunting. Sorry Maureen missed your post. Stay somewhere central and just wander around you will soon see which areas you like and where you would like to be.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:41 am

The main problem with the old town areas, especially for anyone of retirement age or contemplating spending time there in future after they retire, is accessibility. It's an uphill climb from the town centre, the streets are steep and in many of them there is no access by car (but I live in such a one and to us it's a positive advantage because it is much quieter without traffic, and as Truebrit said earlier, public transport is so good here that we don't need a car anyway). However, it has to be said that for older people that can be a problem - getting transported to or from your home on a trolley by paramedics down bumpy steps is no joke, for example. Haviing said that, there are some streets in the old town areas where you can drive a car to the door and some houses even have garages, although it's more ususual to have to park on the street and sometimes just stop outside the house for unloading and then park some distance away.

In terms of crime and social problems, the real areas to avoid are Carabanchel and Barrio de La Legión, but both of them are nowhere near the old town, they are at the southern end of town as you are entering Vélez from the direction of Torre del Mar. La Gloria, one of the old town areas, probably has a worse reputation than the others but I know several people who either live or have holiday homes there and they don't have any problems.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:50 am

Velez has changed so much over the years. The crime was really bad many years ago. My parents tried to get a taxi from Malaga airport in 1976 to Velez Malaga and the 1st 3 taxi drivers said no no no, Banditos. A taxi eventually took them for double the fare. They stopped one night and moved onto Nerja where they holidayed for the next 30 years.

We have visited several times and quite like Velez although I wouldn't buy a house there.

One thing which was touched on in an earlier post is not being able to drive up to your house. This can be a big problem when its 35 degrees and also when its pis++ng down with rain.

truebrit
Resident

Postby truebrit » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:03 am

The whole joy of it is that you don't need a car. A great saving, particularly for pensioners. Who wants to drive when you can sit on a CLEAN bus or train and look at your surroundings. Your visitors will soon get used to catching buses to come and visit you. Depends what you want. You will know what is right for you. As FAL said there are parts of the old town to avoid but again it's only by staying here and looking around that you will get a true feel for the place.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:36 am

We work on the premise that by doing that uphill walk every day (and at least 3 times a week I do it twice a day, yes even in 35C, a person will not melt!) we will stay fitter and healthier and be able to keep doing so for many more years. It is the visitors we get from England, who are used to jumping straight into their cars whenever they want to go anywhere, who are panting and wheezing before they've even got halfway, not us. And it is surprising to see even after just a week of doing that how much easier it gets for them, the majority of people are just so unfit and it really isn't good for them.

By the way, for anyone enquiring about the old town areas of Vélez, nobody need have any fear whatsoever about their personal safety, a woman alone can safely walk the streets late at night, old people go out alone and chldren play safely in the streets.

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:20 pm

Thanks all. Feel reassured

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:48 pm

Hope you enjoy your stay. It would be nice if you came back and gave us your impressions as a visitor (warts and all!).

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:26 pm

Will do

Bristol4boris
Tourist

Postby Bristol4boris » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:58 pm

Many thanks again for all the positive replies, we too like Maureen are going to stay for a short break in couple of weeks right in the old town for another look, around Calle Magdalena as the property we're interested is near (actually not sure what that area is called? Does it have a name?) We also are keen to learn Spanish, feeling that it enhances the experience! Not too worried about parking the car outside the house, in fact we're not planning on having a car, a liberation I'm sure.

Please keep the views coming,

Fail to prepare, prepare to..........

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:42 pm

No, that area doesn't really have a name apart from being in the "casco antiguo". It would be a good choice actually, not far from the town centre and not too much uphill. The views won't be as good as properties higher up in the town, but there's always a trade-off, isn't there? You would be close to two good restaurants, El Convento and La Posada del Conde.

If you're arriving in a couple of weeks you'll see the preparations for Semana Santa in full swing, with the marquees erected around the town where the huge "tronos" are assembled and decorated with candles and thousands of flowers, but you might miss the processions themselves. They are a sight to behold even if you're not religious, and the Vélez ones are the biggest anywhere East of Málaga, with up to 160 men being needed to carry one trono. The orange trees are just coming into blossom too, the scent is lovely.

truebrit
Resident

Postby truebrit » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm

If you need somewhere to stay and would like a real Spanish experience try Casas de Las Titas. You won't be disappointed.

Bristol4boris
Tourist

Postby Bristol4boris » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:21 pm

Thanks FaL that's really helpful. We'll be back from the 15th, maybe a little early for the processions but we hope to get a flavour of the preparations. Thanks for the heads up too on restaurants. We have already seen El Convento and will certainly visit when we get back. Truebrit...guess what? We are already booked in Casas La Titas. Perfect!

truebrit
Resident

Postby truebrit » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:46 am

Great choice Jesus and his staff are lovely. The place is wonderful. My family stay there every year. My grandchildren love it. Enjoy!