A blog about moving to Andalucia

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
DannyandJosie
Andalucia.com Amigo

A blog about moving to Andalucia

Postby DannyandJosie » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:34 pm

I have been visiting and benefiting from this forum for nearly a year now. I have found great sources of information that have helped us along the road as we looked to buy a property in Andalucia

In November we completed the purchase of a cave house in the Altiplano de Granada region of Andalucia, we will be there for 2 weeks next month, again in September and plan a permanent move in January 2017.

I have been writing about our experience of buying a house and have now just published a blog which I hope to keep regularly updated on both our visits and preperations for the eventual move. Once in our new home I hope to continue with the blog.

I thought some on this forum may find it interesting and take the opportunity to add comments on your own experiences that others like myself will find useful and maybe even contribute with suggestions or guest entries.

Anyway I have waffled on long enough, hopefully you may find it engaging and choose to subscribe.

The site is:

http://www.onefootinthecave.net/

I look forward to your thoughts.

Danny
"When you judge others, you do not define them, you define yourself" Earl Nightingale

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Re: A blog about moving to Andalucia

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:34 am

Good Morning Danny and Josie,
Welcome to the forum :wave:
First I have to say that it might have been more diplomatic and tactful for you to have joined in properly with questions etc. before making your first post which is effectively promoting your blog site.
Having said that I have had a quick look at your blog and you have made quite a good job of it, however it has all been done before so it will be difficult to offer a new approach to a subject that has been covered so many times before.
I note that you have recommended A.Com and other forums which is a step in the right direction , but I'm not sure that 'greasing ' El Cid's palm with heaps of praise will spare you from getting the chop... :D ..

Anyway may I wish you Good Luck with your ventures and your New Life in Spain.....

Regards,
Gordon.

DannyandJosie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby DannyandJosie » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:35 am

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for having the time to comment.

Making this my first post was a lack of insight on my part, but unintentinal. Other forums I have used have an introductions/welcome to new members and I have used this to introduce myself. As there isn't one, then as you say asking questions is the only way to get yourself known and to date most of my questions have effectively been asked before or I have asked them on other forums more closely related to cave houses. That is the only reason I have not posted anything before.

My blog is purely a bit of fun and I am learning as I go, I didn't see it as promoting anything as I see no commercial reward for my efforts.

If the topic gets removed I will now understand why and I am sure you will see both questions and hopefully some replies from us as we get to grips with life in Spain.

Thanks for your kind wishes - its a daunting but exciting road ahead.

Danny
"When you judge others, you do not define them, you define yourself" Earl Nightingale

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:56 pm

Hi, You may get kicked off, it depends what side of bed Sid got out of this morning. HA HA. I will have a look at your blog and comment later.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:11 pm

Well I looked. Has links to Insurance etc. Mentions a few estate agents. A link to the Dive co. He works for. I thought sites got kick backs for that. Managed to do more name dropping than I or others have done in 12 years. Ha ha!

There used to be another member who had a website on cave houses, can't remember his name

Girlingfoss
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Girlingfoss » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:26 pm

From a quick look, including the pictures of the caves, I assume before renovation there seems like a mass of work to be done.
I have been interested in seeing cave properties, some conversions look brilliant. The one thing I wonder are they located in regions that have colder winters? I will read the blog with interest.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:03 pm

[/quote]I have been interested in seeing cave properties, some conversions look brilliant. The one thing I wonder are they located in regions that have colder winters? I will read the blog with interest.[/quote]

Cave dwellings are great for holidays, but personally I wouldn't like to live permanently in a cave, but that's just my opinion...
And it will be much much colder than Bradenton/Sarasota...we lived there for awhile in the early 1980's...spent many months sieving in the sands for fossil sharks teeth with our 'Snowbird' friends.

And a question for Danny, ..Have you had any problems dealing with the gas build up that seems to come with cave dwelling ?

Regards,
Gordon

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:08 pm

DannyandJosie wrote:

If the topic gets removed I will now understand why and I am sure you will see both questions and hopefully some replies from us as we get to grips with life in Spain.
Hi Danny

I am taking advice from the site owners as to whether we can allow you to post this link.

I have removed the link from your post and will reinsert it if your post is approved.

For the time being I am closing the thread.

Sid

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:38 am

Your original post does not contravene site rules so I have replaced the link and unlocked the thread.

Sid

DannyandJosie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby DannyandJosie » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:26 pm

katy wrote:Well I looked. Has links to Insurance etc. Mentions a few estate agents. A link to the Dive co. He works for. I thought sites got kick backs for that.
Hi Katy,

Thanks for taking the time to look - all the outbound links on the blog are there purely to provide additional information for those interested and save people the time of having to do the research I did - after all, who doesn't like a genuine recommendation. I have not even informed those that I have linked and there is absolutely no kick back. I think you may be thinking of banner links through google adds that when you click take you to a site and pay the individual/company hosting the link.

All the best.

Danny