Retiring to Malaga

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Stu&Vic
Tourist

Retiring to Malaga

Postby Stu&Vic » Mon May 23, 2016 6:52 am

Hello to everyone!

This is the first of what I am sure will be many posts seeking advice from you kind people!

We are in the process of negotiating for our preferred property in Montes de Malaga. We have lived abroad previously and are aware of the local problems that we might (will) encounter.

Right now my headache is getting a licence for a pool. The agent seems adament that it will not under any circumstances be granted yet a quick look on Google Earth shows more pools than I could shake a muddy stick at. Any thoughts?

Also any of you good folks live around the Montes de Malaga? If so what are your impressions of the area, pros and cons?

Thank you in anticipation!

Stuart

ajtg1952
Resident

Re: Retiring to Malaga

Postby ajtg1952 » Mon May 23, 2016 7:48 am

What region are you in and what is your nearest village. Montes de Malaga is a big area!

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon May 23, 2016 7:53 am

Hi Stu&Vic,
Welcome to The Forum............ :D

Best to get answer from the Planning Department at your Town Hall.......... :idea:

Just because you can see loads of pools on Google doesn't mean the current License for a pool would easily be obtained.

My experience of obtaining Building Licenses even when approved can take eighteen months to two years before you get to start the project/repairs.........OK I'm not in Málaga Province........... :D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Stu&Vic
Tourist

Postby Stu&Vic » Mon May 23, 2016 8:54 am

Hi,

our nearest village is casabermeja, about 10 minutes by car and about 25 minutes to Malaga city.

We will need to install Solar Power and install a borehole. Being that we will also need a water deposit I was hoping we might be able to install one of those fancy ones with tiles and steps. I know it was once the done thing but I am sure that it is frowned upon in these enlightened times.

We are still young and active enough (55 and 45 respectively) to be able to get on and do what is required, hopefully with a view to being relatively self sufficient in later years. We are fortunate enough to have a modest income from renting our house in the UK but we are planning ahead. We live near Carcassonne for several years but bad planning on our (my) part forced our return to the UK, this time things will be planned well in advance!

We have read the forum for many months now and it is both a source of relief (when things turn out right) and sheer frustration. I thought French bureaucracy was banal!

Hope that we can make some new and valuable friends both here and in Andalusia!

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Mon May 23, 2016 9:17 am

Are you in the Parque Natural? If so, you will find getting permissions for anything akin to drawing teeth. Your "need" (as you put it and, from that I assume it is your only means of getting electricity rather than a desire for an eco friendly life) to install solar panels indicates a probable "yes". Ditto for a borehole! be very careful before you part with un-returnable money!
nil illegitimum carborundum

Stu&Vic
Tourist

Postby Stu&Vic » Mon May 23, 2016 10:43 am

Hi,

no we are not in the parque, and at least the borehole has a licence! Our desire for solar is an eco one, however I wouldn't fancy the cost and anxiety of trying to install mains electricity.

Plus we are very fortunate to have a highly regarded solar equipment supplier just down the road from where we are now.

Once these minor issues are out of the way we can worry about internet access! Any ideas anyone?

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon May 23, 2016 9:54 pm

Welcome to the forum. We are on the coast near Rincon. Make sure you spend plenty of time in Malaga city. Its a great place. Food, drink and most things very reasonably priced.

Stu&Vic
Tourist

Postby Stu&Vic » Sat May 28, 2016 10:53 am

Can someone please confirm whether a licence would be required for an above ground pool?

Thanks

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat May 28, 2016 12:45 pm

As already been stated in Enrique's reply you need to ask your town hall.
They are the ones to grant the licence if it is needed.
However even if they grant a licence it doesn't mean that it is legal if your town hall is one of the corrupt ones who will grant a licence and ignore the legalities.
Sorry, but nobody on here can give a definite answer as to whether or not you need a licence to build an above ground swimming pool.
Cheers
Gerry
Last edited by gerryh on Sat May 28, 2016 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gerry Harris

Stu&Vic
Tourist

Postby Stu&Vic » Sat May 28, 2016 3:31 pm

Thanks Gerry