Moving to Andalucia with heart problem

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Barbara66

Moving to Andalucia with heart problem

Postby Barbara66 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:32 am

Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice about moving to Andalucia with a chronic health condition.

My husband was diagnosed with heart failure 3 years ago, aged 48. His condition is well controlled with medication ; he still works and is otherwise very well. The UK winter weather is a drain on him though, hence us spending winter holidays in Andalucia and the plan to relocate at the end of this year.

We will be self funded ( selling our small business) and might rent out our home here in UK. We want to work in Spain ( I was teaching ESOL & Literacy up until council cutbacks 18 months ago).

I am very confused , however, as to what we should do in regard to health care provision for my husband and would really appreciate advice and/or any personal experiences of moving to Andalucia with a chronic condition,

We are looking at renting somewhere just inland in the region between Nerja/Frigiliana/Competa and Almunecar/Jete/Otivar,

Thanks

B

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Re: Moving to Andalucia with heart problem

Postby IreneD » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:50 am

Hello Barbara, welcome to the forum.

I am sure others will be along to advise but - at your husband's age - I would think you will need to take out private medical insurance and register with a private doctor. I believe a lot of people here recommend Prevision Medica insurance, if you put that into Search, you will get lots of info - here's a short thread to start you off http://andalucia.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... ca#p334551 You could contact a few different companies for a quote.

Choosing a private doctor will of course depend on where you live (I know an excellent one in El Morche)

That may not be the sort of info you are after, you did say you would like responses from someone who had moved here with a chronic condition, so I hope you get the sort of help you are looking for from other members :)

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:29 am

If you come here to live, part of the registration process is to show that you have adequate health cover. Unless one of you is a UK state pensioner,initially that will mean private insurance, but of course, that will not cover pre-existing conditions or drugs. The other alternative is to buy into the Spanish NHS using the recently announced option of paying about €65 a month each. That covers pre-existing conditions, but it doesn't include drugs.

http://citizensadvice.org.es/topic/what ... al-scheme/

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/healthcare- ... -insurance

If you are working, and paying monthly into the social security system, or employed on a (non temporary) contract then you would be covered in full.

Sid

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:40 pm

You say that he is better off in Andalucia for the winters, but just think about the very draining affect of the summers....I would think you should regard aircon as essential, for all seasons?
I have COPD and am finding the warm weather harder each year despite inhaler twice a day - and we are nowhere near peak temperatures yet.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Barbara66

Postby Barbara66 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:33 am

Hi,

Thanks for the replies all, much appreciated .

If I'm right I think that we'll need private cover for the first year after which we will be able to pay in to the Spanish system ? Does this sound right ?

And we will have to pay for his medication ourselves? Does anyone have a ball park cost for drugs like Ramipril, Furosemside, spironolactone and bisoprolol? They are common heart/ blood pressure meds - widely prescribed.

RE- air con - it is something we are bearing in mind - it's tricky with heart failure as the advice is to avoid sudden changes in temperature - but it will be on the list when looking for a property to rent.

Thanks again to you all - and any other experiences of the health care system or living with chronic condition would be great to hear.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:27 am

If I'm right I think that we'll need private cover for the first year after which we will be able to pay in to the Spanish system ? Does this sound right ?

And we will have to pay for his medication ourselves? Does anyone have a ball park cost for drugs like Ramipril, Furosemside, spironolactone and bisoprolol? They are common heart/ blood pressure meds - widely prescribed.
----------------------------------------

Re the health cover. Yes you can buy into the spanish NHS after a year (presume a year after getting residencia?) Re the meds a family member takes ramiprill B.p tablets? You can buy them over the counter and they are dirt cheap something like a few euros a month.you can get most things over the counter at a cheap price

Barbara66

Postby Barbara66 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:53 am

Thank you, very reassuring.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:32 pm

Not intending to put you off but the couple we bought from wanted to move back to Uk because the husband developed heart probs...He had a stent fitted in Spain and had very good treatment..The real problem and especially for the wife was the lack of support around her..all their family were back in the Uk...She found it very difficult coping on her own and doing the hospital runs...Not only that compared to her husband she had very limited Spanish & that didnt help...

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:49 pm

I too think it not advisable. The health care here may be good, but with the possibility of needing top-quality care quickly it is vital that you choose to live in the right place. If you were foolish enough to buy a property and your husband die before you are fluent in Spanish and well settled here (!) you are very unlikely to be able to sell up and return to the UK, at least for some years.
Far better to make your living conditions as comfortable as possible in the UK, with all the accepted heating and health care support, in my opnion.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Barbara66

Postby Barbara66 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:25 pm

Hi,

Thanks for these replies- always good to have a variety of opinions.

I certainly agree with the issue of support and it is something I have thought about since my husbands diagnosis and always have contingency plans in place now.

Likewise, we plan to keep our house in the UK for the short/medium term and have no plans to buy in Spain. Our language skills are OK - I am/was a Language teacher - but this is something we are working to improve before we go.

As for any benefits etc available in the UK - there are none that he is entitled to!

Thanks again for the words of caution though: I have certainly taken them on board : ) and am happy to hear of experiences, good or bad.