Spanish Lessons

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Kizzicoolcat
Tourist

Spanish Lessons

Postby Kizzicoolcat » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:52 am

I am shortly relocating to Alhaurin el Grande full-time and wondered if ex-pats are still eligible for free Spanish lessons? If so, whether they are worth doing and how you go about finding out about them. If not, can anyone recommend a course and / or teacher?

Many thanks

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Spanish Lessons

Postby costakid » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:10 am

Will you become a resident?

Kizzicoolcat
Tourist

Postby Kizzicoolcat » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:17 am

I presume that is pre-exquisite for free lessons? If we like it will probably will, we've had our house there for 17 years but spending holidays etc isn't the same as living there full-time is it.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:16 pm

Ask at your local townhall.we have free lessons

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:04 pm

I am sure you need to be registered to get free lessons. That way they get something back from you by the way of taxes etc.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:19 pm

Some do. Intially you needed residencia but they just accepted NIE or passport. They have to get x amount of people signed up to get funding so i guess rules go out the window when they need to up the numbers

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:34 pm

I would recommend joining with a group of Spanish people who are learning English, I often see adverts from Spanish people wanting to share conversations with 'native' English people.
It is a much more relaxed way of learning Spanish and also helps you to integrate, and make friends !
Regards,
Gordon

CurtThoughts
Tourist

Postby CurtThoughts » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:37 pm

Finding a tandem partner is probably your best bet in this regard. You can exchange languages, it's free and you'll probably make a friend in the process

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:41 pm

If I was on a tandem I doubt I would have much breath for conversation in any language....
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

jogger
Resident

Postby jogger » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:21 pm

One thing I've just started to do is , go to a Spanish paper ( see link), right click, translate to English, then hold the cursor over a sentence, it will then let you see the Spanish and English at the same time.

http://www.diariosur.es/costadelsol/201 ... 83733.html

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:52 am

We got free Spanish classes, twice a week for two hours each class plus homework. We had classes for three years. All we needed was to be on the Padron and live full-time in the village. They were good classes and once we got enough words together the teacher taught largely what we wanted to learn — things like how to communicate with builders and plumbers when building a house, etc. It was good. However, much better is speaking with Spanish people in the cafés and bars ...

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:40 pm

Moving to Velez Malaga early Dec ish can anyone recommend anywhere or anybody that does 1 on 1 Spanish lessons?? Obviously will pay the going rate
I So Bella tis you

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:11 pm

I went to the BEM Escuela de Idiomas when I was learning, and their Spanish teacher, Sandra Pérez, was very good. I had some one to one lessons with her at times, when she wanted me to move up a level and I wouldn't have covered some of the things the new group had already done. At that time the lessons were in Vélez but I believe all their Spanish courses are now held in Torre del Mar, within their offshoot in the VALs Sport Centre near the Hotel Mainake.

They do offer free lessons (which I appreciate is not what you were asking about) at the Adult Education Institute on Paseo Nuevo but I would not recommend them. I signed up and went to the first lesson but never went back.

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:26 pm

Thank you, we will have a look at BEM, but ideally would like to pay to have someone come to me or me to them twice a week for 2 hrs at a time. Have got a couple of numbers to contact over the next few days.
I So Bella tis you

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:05 pm

I signed up and went to the first lesson but never went back.
Why? Reasons might be useful for people considering free classes.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:13 pm

I should qualify my remarks by saying that this was almost 10 years ago and the teacher, etc might have changed by now.

I'd already done one year of classes at a private language school but decided I'd give the free ones a go as people were always telling me I should. The teacher turned up 15 minutes late, then took a personal call on his mobile thus delaying the start of the class even more. He left the classroom door open so there was intrusive noise from people coming and going in the corridor outside. The class size was much too big, I thought, 15 people whereas we'd never had more than 6 at the language school. The course was for 4 hours of lessons a week but the teacher announced that these would be spread across one hour on 4 different days of the week, all at different times and I would have found that very inconvenient. Instead of the teacher and students sitting around a table as I'd been used to, at the free lessons people sat in rows and I found it difficult to follow what the people behind me were saying. Lastly the teacher was very softly spoken and I found it difficult to hear him.

Thereafter I went back to the language school.
Last edited by Free at Last on Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Postby GerryinCajiz » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:29 pm

Paulinmalaga wrote:Moving to Velez Malaga early Dec ish can anyone recommend anywhere or anybody that does 1 on 1 Spanish lessons?? Obviously will pay the going rate
I used to go to the Spanish lessons organised by Velez town hall (not free). Unfortunately these were stopped quite a few years ago. One of the teachers ( Olga) continued teaching at her home at a very reasonable rate, they were for individuals or small groups. Her phone number is 646007177 . A phone call might solve your problem.
Gerry

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:43 pm

Thank you all and thanks Gerry for the number.
I So Bella tis you