Getting NIE in England

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Loopy Lisa
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Getting NIE in England

Postby Loopy Lisa » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:33 pm

MSclaire wrote:Aside from passport and the NIE form, can I ask what types of papers/paperwork you need to bring with you (if any) to the consulate?
Going down this route sounds a lot less hassle so leaning towards doing it ourselves :)
Claire
We got the list from the website but didn't need the photos or envelope that it said we needed! But it didn't give the amount to pay and that had to be in cash. I think it was about £8.50 each application. We didn't have cash and had to dash off to the bank which was about a 2 minute walk from the consulate.
It was very very simple. But the Consulate closes at lunchtime and isn't open to public in the afternoon, I think it might close at 13.30 but please check.

El Trotamundos

Postby El Trotamundos » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:34 pm

Hi
We obtained ours, whilst still living in the UK through the Spanish solicitor we where purchasing our
property through.
Painless and very quick, no visiting the police, waiting in line or language problems.
Our English speaking Abogado dealt with it all.
Like anything legal in Spain, it will cost a bit (60 euros), but a hell of a lot cheaper than flying to Spain
or visiting an embassy.

Livethedream
Tourist

Postby Livethedream » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:25 pm

MSclaire wrote:Aside from passport and the NIE form, can I ask what types of papers/paperwork you need to bring with you (if any) to the consulate?
Going down this route sounds a lot less hassle so leaning towards doing it ourselves :)
Claire
If you go the Spanish Consulate website you can request the forms. They also sent and English translation of the parts you need to fill in. They also send a link to the police forms you will need to fill in too. You need two copies of the consulate forms and three of the police form. But don't sign them as you have to sign them when you're there. You will also need to take your passport and a photocopy of your passport. Also £8.50 in cash to pay...they won't accept card. We had omitted to fill in a part of the form as it wasn't shown on the translation...she just asked us to fill it in...it didn't seem to be a big deal. The staff speak English. It was all quick and painless.
We arrived at 9.20 on Thursday morning....there were two queues outside the consulate. We had to queue on the right, the on appointment queue, as you don't need an appointment for NIE. Once the consulate opened the queue moved quite quickly. We were called in by 9.30. We were out and all done by 10.
Even though the consulate staff were on strike we still received it within two weeks.

MSclaire
Tourist

Postby MSclaire » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:44 am

Awesome! Thanks for the info everyone :)

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:02 pm

Please don't anyone tell me what should happen as I am only telling what DID happen yesterday in Gran Canaria

My friend here in Las Palma's asked me to accompany him to the main police station to obtain his N I E. He had downloaded the application form and filled it in correctly !
We presented ourselves at the correct desk and after scrutinising the application form he was told "as an E U member he dd NOT require an N I E and basically refused to process his application on the grounds that an N I E was only
Required for the purchase of a car, house or any other object requiring official registration ! Does anyone have any THOUGHTS or CONCRETE advice to the contrary ??
I was and always have been under the impression that N I E was easily and readily available, thanks for your attention, Alan.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:07 pm

PS, as I have stated more than once here I easily obtained an N I E in Fuengirola in 1992 !

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:09 pm

You do need to state the reason why you are applying for the NIE on the form. I helped someone to apply for one recently and we put "to rent an apartment" on the form, and it was issued without any problem.

Livethedream
Tourist

Postby Livethedream » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:56 pm

We didn't have to put it on the form, but we were asked at the Spanish Consulate in London, what we required it for.

benal82
Tourist

Postby benal82 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:56 pm

Thanks for all your replys, Our move has been a little delayed due to illness.
We Were planning to get our NIE's before Christmas but it never happened.
We now plan to get them next week, I have a couple of questions
Do we need The forms 'Model 790 payment Forms' As the link is not working to download.
And do we need a certificate of non residence?
Also another poster mentioned police forms, where can I get them?

Sorry for all the questions, here's the link the consulate gave us http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consulados ... s/NIE.aspx

Thanks all :)

Camilla

Postby Camilla » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:51 pm

Joined the forum just to set the matter straight as we went to London yesterday for this purpose. After reading through numerous websites and amassing a load of different bits of information and different forms, it appears the only one you should use is the Consulate's latest. We got our appointments on line with their website too. The main problem (possibly the wrong word here) was that I spent hours filling the forms in duplicate, getting photos of us both, making a file of papers showing our house purchase, etc etc, all for nothing.
We arrived at the Consulate 45 mins early and stood in a queue on the pavement until called forward. We then saw a woman in a kiosk who sent us up to the second floor. A nice guy saw us together, looked at our forms and passports and we signed the application. Five mins later we were paying the cashier our £8.60 each and were on our way.
I must sat that whilst the staff were all charming and helpful their organisation needs sorting out. I gathered from others outside that they do answer emails but never answer the phone, so don't waste your time trying!!

quebin
Resident

Postby quebin » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:35 pm

Watch this to see what you could be faced with! :lol: https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A ... 9UP-8U9uyH

CielodeCadiz
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby CielodeCadiz » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:17 am

Our lawyer, who also assisted with our flat purchase, helped us with getting the NIE in Spain and it took about 10 minutes.