Purchasing Property

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Re: Purchasing Property

Postby Pamela1 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:39 pm

Sounds like a mess you certainly dont need...Move on Lisa and if anything you are now alot wiser having had this experience and it stands you in good stead to continue with your search...however i did note in one of your earlier posts that you offered the full asking price ( no haggling)..well you are certainly are a sellers dream come true!...learn to haggle Lisa and dont be scared to start low.you can always go up..

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:00 pm

Loopy Lisa wrote:...plan to settle here and enjoy the relaxed lifestyle.
Loopy Lisa wrote: The whole thing is a bloody nightmare and at the bottom of it all is the completely useless estate agent
I've been following this thread with great interest, resisting the urge to add a comment that would not expand on what others have already said, or offer anything useful for Lisa, but it really does seem to me that the above two statements are somewhat at odds with each other. For the sake of 3K, I would have cut my losses & walked away long ago. I've always said, living in Spain problems come along almost daily for free, there's no need to pay for them - and I can only see this one growing bigger and costing more (as someone already suggested).
The only other thing I can add, is that estate agents (both here and in the UK) have always had a reputation for being next to useless, so you shouldn't be surprised. At the end of the day, the agent's view is that they've done their job already - i.e. introducing a buyer to a seller, so they're just waiting to get paid now, and I wouldn't expect them to do much more for you.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Fincaman
Tourist

Postby Fincaman » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:22 pm

Your agent is quite right about one thing - saying that "our lawyer will need to negotiate that and he thinks it will be problematic and difficult."
You may have the land sold to you, swapped or otherwise made to become your property, but that does not mean it can be segregated and registered with the land registry. Without that, you will find it difficult if you eventually want to sell, because prospective buyers will probably be warned off by their solicitors.
Restoring an old finca near Colmenar.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:32 pm

I have to say Lisa if you go ahead with this purchase you want your head testing. Sounds to me like you will regret it very quickly.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:19 pm

Miro sorry, yes you are right they are conflicting...blame me because I actually thought Loopy Lisa had sacked off buying the property, now I'm not so sure!

Oh dear Lisa...I imagine there there will be many people who will have said. "Oh had we known, we would never have bought our property"...It seems that you do know about all the problems beforehand and have been supported with good advice from other forum members suggesting you walk away....What you do eventually is your decision so I wish you good luck..

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:48 pm

I know it's no laughing matter, but when I read this thread out to my OH, she actually said "sounds like she'd be better off just buying a helicopter to access the property." I hope this will at least bring a smile to someone today! :wave:

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:04 pm

Hi Loopy Lisa,
You have been given some great advice here. Please take it.
I know Los Velez area quite well having lived in the Almanzora valley area for 17 years.
Los Velez is very cold in winter.

I would have a look around in the Almanzora valley area. One, ayuntamiento which is very close to having all properties regularised is Arboleas.
You should also check with local town halls and see if there are any problems with any possible purchase.
Arboleas has 4 Brit councillors and they will help you in any purchase to ensure it is done legally and ethically.

I would expect a palace with no paperwork problems or access problems in Velez Rubio for €300k! I have not seen what you are buying, but the price label shouts "ripoff" in the current market.

Loopy Lisa
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Loopy Lisa » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:32 pm

Miro wrote:I know it's no laughing matter, but when I read this thread out to my OH, she actually said "sounds like she'd be better off just buying a helicopter to access the property." I hope this will at least bring a smile to someone today! :wave:
We have already discussed this and prefer zip line!!!

No we are drawing a line under it. We wanted to see if the agent felt that the purchase of the land was a possibility and he excelled himself with his comments and backtracking!!!

We are going to fight to get our money back. The vendors have already got the property on the market again with another agent and a brand new video was posted on 31 December! This was when we were still "in the process" of buying.

Anyway the agent has said that the vendors are not prepared to move on the contract terms and want us to pay them the deposit directly. According to the agent he has never dealt with a sale where this doesn't happen, we have used guidance from Spanish land registry which says hold in escrow and in all honesty - we might be green when it comes to buying in Spain but I am not about to be taken for a complete mug!!!

The line has been drawn!

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:54 pm

Glad to hear. Good luck with finding another property

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:45 pm

For 300k in velez rubio you can buy something very nice. Its quite a nice town but in the middle of nowhere. I have actually visited the area and had a lovely meal in Rubio but to live there would be a definite nooooooo.

Loopy Lisa
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Loopy Lisa » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:37 pm

It's over. The buyers sent the estate agent a demand for our deposit money and this was sent to our lawyer who we immediately instructed to tell the agent we considered they weren't entitled to it. I've just received an email from the agent who says that he is holding it until the lawyers sort it out. I feel our lawyer is very good and will hopefully recover us our money .... as I said to my OH the bottom line is I would rather give it to charity than let the vendors have the money!

Thanks for all your advice and words and there will be a beer or 2 for you when we finally make it to Spain

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:32 am

So glad to hear that Lisa.

I must admit in all the transactions I have and friends have done here, the 10% deposit is paid to the vendors. However that is with a compraventa contract which makes it binding (as far as Spanish law goes). The couple selling our current home were in receipt of a 20% deposit from a potential buyer who dropped out, and they kept it!

I would have thought for your budget you would have no difficult finding a lovely house. Here near the coast there are plenty of nice campo houses for sale under 300K ( and a few little ones like ours for under 200K).

Good luck and we are always here to help!!

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:55 am

Please keep us all posted on your next purchase.

Loopy Lisa
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Loopy Lisa » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:47 pm

Short list of around 100 properties in the Kyero account and loads more saved from our initial trawl last night. The OH has found a new build (off plan) in Pinoso (Valencia) which is very nice but my preferred location is Inland Andalucía, what I have found is that my Euro will go an awful long way when I am led by my practical head and not my heart .............
So we are in the early stages of planning another trip out to check properties. Whilst I don't think we were totally unrealistic, we have thought again about being "remote". The property we were after did not have a neighbour in sight!!!! So we are thinking that maybe a neighbour in shouting distance is OK, and that on the edge of town is fine, rather than remote. By changing just this it has provided a whole new group of properties to look at and I have been very pleased to find a lot that more than meet our requirements in the area.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:00 am

Think about being remote...do you really want to have to get in the car to go and meet people? Have a coffee? Buy bread? If you slip and hurt yourself would anyone hear a cry for help?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Loopy Lisa
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Loopy Lisa » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:45 pm

We are reviewing this and wonder now if this was such a great idea!!! But we have found a few that are on the outskirts of town and the neighbours are in "shouting" distance!!! We've also looked at properties that "need some updating" and think for our budget we can transform a tired house into our home and rent whilst the work is ongoing.
White Horse wrote:Los Velez is very cold in winter
Your not wrong there .......... it is warmed in grey light but it is about 6 degrees warmer here than Velez Rubio where they have snow :crazy:

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:09 pm

Thats the joy of renting. If you are having second thoughts on been very rural and are now rethinking maybe you should think of a 6-12 month rent in one or the other or both. Alot of properties do rent to buy aswell so something to think of if you have your eyes on a property. Spending a few k extra on a rent in the long run wont seem like much if you buy somewhere and then realise you are in the wrong place

Loopy Lisa
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Loopy Lisa » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:22 pm

That is a really good suggestion, thanks.
When we visited last year almost all the properties were vacant so renting for a period might be attractive to the vendors, and as you say will give us breathing space for evaluating and looking.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:28 pm

Remote....vacant properties......sounds like heaven :crazy:

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:46 pm

Depends on what people think of as being remote.. Our property is 1.5 miles from the nearest village and it is heaven on earth.
:D :D :D