Commuting to the UK

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Livingthedream65

Commuting to the UK

Postby Livingthedream65 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:05 pm

Hi everyone

Newbies here, thanks for the welcome here.
We plan to move to Andalucia in the not so distant future, but one thing for sure my husband will still have to continue working in the UK for awhile. Is there anyone on this Forum who does a working commute back to the UK on a weekly basis? We are looking for advice on availability of Flights, airport parking charges etc...many thanks Mandy & Darren.

maureenscot
Resident

Re: Commuting to the UK

Postby maureenscot » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:20 pm

Welcome. Sure somebody will be on soon to answer your questions

pilgrim2
Resident

Postby pilgrim2 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:04 pm

My husbands does, though not on a weekly basis, but on his travels he has met many that do.

Where are you going to be living and where is your husband going to be commuting to?

You can send me a pm if you like.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:00 pm

A friend who was a pilot used to comute from Malaga every week. Occasional problems with late flight arrivals but generaly he was ok with it. BA then scrapped Malaga Heathrow which caused him some connection problems but he got around it. He always managed to get back home to Malaga but sometimes a bit delayed as you would expect.
I think your husband will be ok if he is coming and going from a reasonably sized airport in Uk.

Livingthedream65

Postby Livingthedream65 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:45 pm

Thanks for welcome everyone and advice here.
Knowing it's doable will be a help!
A while to get this to point yet, first we need to come and do a Scout of where we want to live. Any suggestions on that will be most welcome. We want to be inland with an hour commute to airports if possible.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:44 pm

We have several customers (i can think of at least 5) that travel on a weekly basis to London, manchester and dublin. They park with us, and we look after their cars during the week, then they are here at the weekends with their familes. They all come to park around 6am on a monday morning and come back on friday afternoon / evening. They all live within 30 min - 1 hr from the airport.

Theres 20+ parking companies at the airport charging between 525 and 2000 euros a year, depending on the service that you want, and if you want it cleaning etc every time.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:56 pm

I have sent you a pm :-)
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:47 am

Livingthedream65 - will you worry about your carbon footprint? :)

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:15 pm

Just seen this post after being absent for a few days, I cannot advise you but I can offer you my experience in this matter.
I'm now retired but a number of years ago I tried this experiment, I was involved in a catering business but realised after a couple of successful years that my physical presence was not vital or critical to the smooth running of the business (I just paid the two best chefs I employed to take on extra responsibility in my absence).
I started out for a few weeks travelling to La Carihuela from Cheshire a journey of anything from six to 9 hours, depending on when and with whom I flew, that's door to door by the way!
After a few weeks I thought, this is no problem, a week here, a week there, I was 50 years old or thereabouts at the time and slightly healthier than I am currently.
The problem started when I tried to do it 4 times in a row, taking an average journey time of about 7½ hours outgoing, then a shower and a mini pi55up then lying in the following day, then returning, same journey time back, then a good night sleep, following morning straight to the office (at that time I as probably doing 9-10 hour days.3 or 4 days later do the same thing!
I can say that after 2 weeks I was physically and mentally Knackered, so I stopped doing that and reverted to my old system home and work for 3-4-5 weeks then 10-14 days in the sun, back to normal.
I don't know what kind of work your partner does but you really need to think this through, after a while the shine will wear off the travelling aspect until it becomes a chore, then of course you and your family need attention, life under these circumstances can become fraught, I'm not trying to discourage you in anyway but I don't believe it will be an easy ride!
Having said all that I read recently of someone who commutes between Paris and Sussex every 3rd day, good luck with it.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:02 am

Well put.

Stevemul
Resident

Postby Stevemul » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:30 am

We " commute" for grandkid sitting duties ! That's more knackering than working!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:10 am

Manchesteral wrote: I don't know what kind of work your partner does but you really need to think this through, after a while the shine will wear off the travelling aspect until it becomes a chore, then of course you and your family need attention, life under these circumstances can become fraught, I'm not trying to discourage you in anyway but I don't believe it will be an easy ride!
Having said all that I read recently of someone who commutes between Paris and Sussex every 3rd day, good luck with it.
Paris is probably less stressful as it can be done by train with shorter boarding times than flying, especially if their workplace is close to the station.

The problem with flying is not just the 2.5 hour flight but getting to the airport, parking, allowing time to get through security and getting to the gate on time, possible delays etc plus the journey once in the UK. We are only 40 mins from Malaga and, depending on where we are visiting, about an hour the other end but it is never less than a 6 hour door to door journey as you say. With flights, parking, travel in the UK (and accommodation?) I would think that the UK job would have to be very well paid to make it worth the hassle.

Livingthedream65

Postby Livingthedream65 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:55 am

Thanks to all for information here. Really useful to know people's experiences and thoughts. Hubby does travel a lot now with his present job, so well used to travelling but we take it on board the comments about a 6hour round trip possibly depending on where we would end up living - especially on a Friday when all can think about is getting home!
Thanks again folks!

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:14 pm

Rute is inland about an hour from Malaga airport and what about Ronda?

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:15 pm

Then again, you have to check which airports do most flights an case Granada or Seville are better/nearer places to be. Also check out Murcia etc